Frenchman Mountain Trail

Frenchman Mountain Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,139 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is a very steep gravel road. The best time to hike this would be fall, winter, or spring. Don't let the steepness stop you from going all the way to the top as the view is spectacular. If it is a clear day you can see all the casinos to the southwest. Looking west is Red Rock and Mount Charleston. To the northwest you can see Nellis Air Base and farther north the Las Vegas Speedway. Keep an eye out for jets taking off and landing at the Air Base.

Still one of my favorites! Trekking poles are a nice upgrade to this trail. Bring lots of water, especially if you’re going this week (aug. 19-25), it’s extremely hot and there is no shade.

It's a service road, but if you're looking for a great sunrise CV conditioning hike, it's a great way to start the day. Tough on the knees during decent. Use hiking poles if you have them.

steep climb on a service road, nothing to see until you reach the top... coming down is painful on the knees and toes.

Stepped off at around 07:00. Warm (average temperature for the trip was around 90 degrees) but not too bad. Was a nice breeze throughout the hike so definitely helped keep me cool. The climbs are tough but the down hills are worse (especially if your knees are worn out). A lot of loose rock makes coming down a little slick. The views are worth the effort to get to the top. I suggest hiking poles for the downhills. I watched a few hikers really struggling going down without them. Bring plenty of water. You'll use it.

Amazing views, but really though one!!

Uphill right from the start. I found this trail to be very challenging while trying to maintain a descent pace. The trail is super easy to follow its wide you won’t get lost. The view from the top is gorgeous. The hills are steep with lots of loose rocks. I definitely recommend trekking poles for this one. Coming down was the real challenge for me. I kept slipping and sliding on the loose gravel.

Perfect for a sweaty workout.

Trail is as described in many of the reviews.....steep, loose rocks, gravel and almost no shade depending on what time of day you're hiking it. Definitely a good workout! Incredible view of summit from the second saddle. Took us two hours to get up there and one and a half to get down. I definitely recommend hiking poles to get you through the loose rocks. Great view of the Vegas valley to the west and to the east views of Lake Mead and Lake Las Vegas. Totally worth the climb!!!

Great trail just didnt have enough time to hike the whole thing. Sunny and 86 degrees but the wind was crazy. Never felt like it was 86.

So this trail is intense. It’s all uphill in the rocks. It took me about an hour just to get to the half way point for it didn’t even finish the hike I was so sore. But super fun and I’ll be doing it again for sure.

Great trail! beautiful view, definitely recommend it. It's a little rough but don't give up! the view is worth it.

One review stated, "Not particularly scenic", & that is the farthest thing from the truth. I have hiked all over Las Vegas, & this hike easily has the most expansive, most panoramic view of the entire Valley that I have found. From the second tower, you can see everything in it's entirety on both sides. From the beginning, the trail breaks into two steep ascents; the first being from the road, & the second being toward the towers. A significant amount of this trail is loose gravel, so unless you're a fan of slipping, BRING HIKING POLES! This hike would have been far less enjoyable had I not brought them. Either way, fantastic, challenging hike.

I've done this hike now 5 times, Saturday being the most recent. It's a great hike, free and easily accessible. The parking lot could be a little better as there is shattered glass almost everywhere. The hike sets the tone early by going straight up, no switchbacks. You'll encounter 2 more sets of Switchbacks. What makes this trail difficult are 2 things, the lack of switchbacks and the shade. Being 75 outside, it was perfect but pack plenty sunscreen and some binoculars to take in the incredible views from the second tower. If you take the impromptu trail near the second radio tower to the top of the rocks, you'll be able to see Lake Las Vegas and Lake Mead! Back to the difficulty, do not rush this hike. The small rocks going down can be tough as I have fallen on this trail and others have too.

This was intense. I always feel much more securely footed ascending rather descending, so while I wouldn't say that the climb upwards was particularly fun, the views were incredible and worth it in the end for me. However, this is a one and done for me - I'm not wild about super huge heights, especially when I feel wobbly, and I felt quite wobbly on my descent. Still 5 stars for me because of the sense of accomplishment and the photos I was able to take at the top. No shade at all!! Bring lots of water :)

Good steep easily accesible trail if you just want to pound out some quick challenging miles. Not particularly scenic but good views of the city and Lake Mead from the top.

one of my favorite...

Did it for the first time Mar312019 with 35lb ruck. painful but good. No limits.

This is more like a high moderate/low hard two hills (saddle) hike. Steep incline and the loose gravel makes this trail difficult. No shade. There are no signs indicating where the trail begins. With temperature being 68 - 76 degrees, I got up to the summit (two radio towers) in an hour. The loose rocks made comming back down also take a whole hour. Overall, it takes 2 hours to complete. Great 360 views! Water and food was not necessary under the conditions, but I'm also a fit 150 lb 23 yrs old man.