Frenchman Mountain Trail

Frenchman Mountain Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a very very steep gravel road. The best time to hike this would be Fall,Winter or Spring. Don't let the steepness stop you from going all the way to the top as the view is specular. If it is a clear day you can see all the casinos to the SouthWest. Looking West is Red Rock and Mount Charleston. Then look NorthWest to see Nellis Air Base and farther North to see Las Vegas Speedway. The great part is if the Jets are taking off & landing at the Air Base.

Tougher than I expected for a short 4 mile hike. Kudos to Jenna being able to run it downhill, it was way too loose for my liking, I was sliding all over the place. Great view of the city once you get to the top.

Great trail! For an experienced trail runner, this is fun, and not super-strenuous. I did it in 2 hours as a power hike, without actually running. However, most of it was runnable downhill. I would definitely do this one again.

This is a hard hike but the views of the city and the surrounding areas is completely worth it. Lots of water, sun protection, snacks and good shoes. It’s steep! Poles wouldn’t be a bad idea if you have them. We didn’t and just took it slow.

Best workout!!

loved the view

We definitely were not in shape for this one. But we took our time and made it to the top and back out. We they say steep and gravely, they mean it. It is all desert, so not a lot to look at. But I highly recommend hiking it if you get a chance.

Did the whole hike in my record 2 hours and 14 minutes.Not a hard hike but if your out of shape you will have trouble.I'm not in a way a fit person,but I've done tons of hikes to able to pull something like this off.

I made a quick decision while in Las Vegas to hike this trail. I read over the description but not that carefully. Its steep and difficult. I made it to the second saddle and decided to turn back because I didn't plan on two more hours. The trail is a road believe it or not. (I would not want to be driving any vehicle on that road). I'll be back in March to hike the whole thing. The views are incredible and as hard as it is, its exhilarating to hike a steep trail. Even making it to the second saddle is worth it if you don't want to hike the whole thing. The gravel is loose and its almost harder going down. Be careful. Like any hike start early.

Beautiful view well worth the hike, not for beginners.

This trail is awesome! I love working my way up during sunset so you can see it set way out in the west, and watch as all the lights of Vegas turn on. It’s a good idea to bring a headlamp if you’re doing this. One thing is that without fail I will tumble on the way down at some point. The gravel is pretty loose and it’s hard to anticipate which rocks will roll down the steep face with you on top of them. 5 stars, always recommended.

I've done this trail a few times and taken new people to it and they all love it, for the work out and especially the amazing views on both side at the peak

Hike is harder than you would expect. Go up there for sunset and then sit and watch the city light up. Beautiful night views.

Good workout trail. No a very scenic trail though. Lots of loose gravel on trail so watch your footing.

Pretty steep but over all really enjoyable, get there early because it can get pretty hot due to lack of shade

Great views and usually there aren’t many people on it :)

Insanely tough trail with minimum switchbacks but the view at the end is worth it. If you go all the way to the top behind the communication tower, you can see Lake Mead, Lake Las Vegas, Mt. Charleson, Red Rock, and beyond. Bring lots of water and don't go on a super hot day.

Great hike, dog friendly, bring plenty of water, wear hiking shoes, steep terrain, loose rocks, no shade so go early, if you make it to the antennas the view is beautiful!!

It was a tough, steep, and rocky climb. The view at the top is awesome. There is no shade, so bring water.

Absolutely amazing hike, very hard work for a very rewarding view you cannot get anywhere else!

This trail is tough but don’t let that discourage you. It was exhausting because it is really steep. The trail has a lot of loose rocks which makes descending hard because I kept twisting my ankles so I can’t stress enough to bring shoes that support you ankles or ankle wraps. The most rewarding part is the beautiful view at the top. It outweighs the struggle. I went last year and plan on returning this year.

Good trail. Don’t stop, the end is worth the view

use a hiking stick, and bring water. there is no shade

Trail is no joke. But my 37 year old, somewhat in shape self managed. Not many people out. Saw one couple coming down while I was headed up at 10:30. Another couple bailed. On my way back, a few more making the start.

The hike is BORING as most everyone said. Some interesting cacti, etc, but not much else. The whole point is the view. And it's totally worth it.

This trail is no joke. Brace yourself, this is a very strenuous hike. however well worth it because the end view is amazing.

Great trail! There are 2 peaks, each with switchbacks near the top. Very steep grade with loose rocks....not a great trail for kids. I would say 2 hours up (then down and up again) with about 1 hour back is the fast pace.

Did this mountain 3 Times already in the last 2 months. The first time was a bit strenuous,but nothing I can't handle. The 3rd time I did it,I did it completely in 2 hours round trip. Has some steep inclines especially around the switch backs. Once you make it all the way up the first set of switch backs, you will notice that you are only half way. Then you must descend and ascend to another mountain which is the one you have to get to. It can be deceving but just keep going. I've your up the second mountain and Past the second set of switch backs, you are finally there. You have the option to go up to the first Hill where the first set of antennas are, or you can walk past the second set of antennas and up and find the ammo box where you can sign in. You can see the whole valley and Mead from up there.

Very strenuous, steep, rocky. But fun!!

Its hard the first time but you get use to it go slow while walking back down loose rock.

Magnificent views from the top. This trail is uphill both ways. Be prepared for steep inclines with lose rock the whole way. Good hiking shoes are a must!

Great view. Difficult decent with the loose rocks!