Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Fossil Ridge Loop is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 784 feet Route Type: Loop

Blue Diamond Hill, across from the main part of Red Rock Canyon, offers some great hiking trails. Many of these were created by mountain bikers and some were created by the horseback riding concession that operates near the trailhead. Parking for this hike is along SR 159 just outside the entrance to the horseback riding road. The hike takes you on the road and then right and into a canyon. The trail meanders back and forth as the canyon makes its way to the top of Blue Diamond Hill.

recorded Fossil Ridge Loop

Huge fan of this trail. Went right on the loop first, so the way back down had EXCEPTIONAL VIEWS! Never too steep in any one spot. A few forks where the app was very helpful. Spent a lot of time looking down at the rocks and found some really neat fossils. Follow my instagram for more adventures @julie_journeys

Great trail and well marked

good views of surrounding ranges. nice hike with easy elevation gain. there was a lot poop though.

recorded Fossil Ridge Loop

Absolutely one of the most beautiful trails in Red Rock Canyons. Looking forward to coming back in Spring time to watch Cactus bloom.

In general beautiful scenery but have to be dodging horse poop most of the way up (recommend doing the loop in clockwise direction; easier to come down the hill).

By far one of my favorite trails in Las Vegas! There something about it that spooks the shit out of me coming down along in between the canyon...there lots of small caves . The view is amazing! Trail is well kept! Not over crowded at all! If you bring your dogs watch out for the cacti . My dog got several of them stuck in his paws. Yes there is Horse poop, but it’s not a big deal ( it is a horse trail after all). #pajaritoinparadise *T aka Dahlia

It's a slow trail, very slow incline and then decline. Flora and Cacti are gorgeous. However, u are unable to appreciate the surrounding Vista, due to the large amount of horse dung everywhere. U have to keep your eyes glued to the floor. Also, very dog friendly, however, if your fido likes to eat poop, I would recommend to avoid this trail.

Hardly any people on the trail. very beautiful view of mountains and snow. Our dogs really enjoyed it.

Fun trail with nice views and variety of cacti. hardly saw any people since there are lot's of trail options.

Completed this hike yesterday!! It was incredibly nice and peaceful. I didn’t encounter any other hikers and had it all to myself. Be sure to follow the map. I didn’t pay attention and also went up the trail that dead ended at a cliff and had to turn around and backtrack. I loved the desert wildlife and the views all around. Would recommend!

Very nice hike where the terrain was pretty easy. You run into a tiny bit of sand, some loose rocks and steps but otherwise an easy, well maintained trail. There are a few shortcut trails which makes it a bit confusing but just pay attention to the map and you will be fine. We backpacked our two kids and brought our dog, saw a herd of burros, a group of riders from the pack station and some mountain bikers. We enjoyed this as we find a lot of hikes are very crowded in this area and that was not the case on this trail. It was also very different desert terrain- beautiful.

Great hike away from the crowds of Red Rock. Was not a lot of shade so I wouldn’t want to hike it in the summer. The trail has areas of loose rocks so hiking poles helped me out. It is a great hike with pretty views of Red Rock and Joshua trees.

This was an awesome trail that I will do again! Recommend to those who enjoy desert landscape and great views without an intense ascent/descent or scramble. The trail was easy to follow and extremely pleasant from start to finish. I saw ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and beautiful desert landscape. Loved it!

When looking at the map on Alltrails, you see little trail names on all these trails. I never saw any signs with trail names when I hiked here. Trail can be a little tricky to discern at points. I saw one sign that said "trail" with an arrow that started to turn me back towards the parking lot. Instead it went 1.5 miles and dead-ended at a cliff and I had to backtrack. BLM's not too good at signage. Make some waypoints and navigate to them to stay on track. I had plenty of daylight, so no big deal. The plant life on this trail was nice.

Fri Mar 22 2019

simple trail, good distance but make sure you apply sunscreen.

Sun Mar 03 2019

Sat Mar 02 2019

Great Trail...few parts are difficult to navigate because there are a few paths. We did get to see some Burros hanging out near the trail. Best to do this hike in the Fall/Winter/Spring...no shade.

Sat Feb 16 2019

This ended up being a really nice hike, so it was a little long and pretty much a continuous up then continuous down. This was pretty much a cactus garden – barrel cactus, hedgehog, chollas, something out of prickly pear family, but fuzzy; and lots of them. We did see burros but they were at the horse ranch looking for a free hand out. We were hiking along the east side of a ridge above a canyon with views into and across the canyon. We pretty much followed this canyon till both ridges met. Yes there are rocky sections, yes there are steps (for horses), but there are also fossils (of clams), there are views back to RRC which we saw was experiencing “graupel” shower. During this hike we came upon horse riders, mountain bikers and a young family among other hikers.

private property
Wed Jan 23 2019

Did this trail today with my best friend, and it ended up being around 4.9 miles of the loop. Maintaining a pretty much right-moving path any time you get to a fork will help extremely in staying on the loop. It took us an hour and 57 minutes to complete the trail. The views were amazing, and you're able to see Mt. Charleston behind the La Madre Mountains the higher you climb on the trail, and you'll have an aerial view of the Gypsum Mine. Only issue with the trail is that some sections are labeled with "Private Property" signs, but we had no problems on the hike, and the trail was still a maintained trail, so the signs are more than likely old (some were torn down on the ground). Overall, the trail is not difficult to follow. if you maintain right turns when you get to forks, and turn left when the trail is crossed by another trail, then you should easily find your way through the trail. No scrambling really necessary, the trail is visible nearly 98% of the time. The occasional limestone does block view of the trail, but if you just look up/ahead a little, you'll be able to see the trail again.

Fri May 04 2018

I loved this trail, great scenery. I did however fall and broke my wrist, can’t wait till I can do it again, just as soon as I get the cast off.

Fri Mar 23 2018

Nice hike. however, you definitely want to pay attention as you may get lost because the trail is sometimes hard to identify.

Mon Feb 19 2018

This is a great trail, but trail markers would be nice! We strayed from the trail twice when the path wasn’t as defined but once we realized we were heading the wrong way it was easy to get back to the trail. Great views and not a lot of people so that was nice!

Mon Jan 15 2018

My favorite kind of trail because there was almost no traffic. It's just past the visitor's center on your left. You will see a sign for horseback riding and the trailhead is just after the sign to the right. The terrain is Rocky but no boulders to climb. The rail does not have a sign marking it not are there markers along the way. There are a few spots were the trail is pretty Rocky and it can be tricky to see exactly which way it goes. The view is AMAZING! If you are into photography this trail is for you.