Dry Pond Trail

Dry Pond Trail is a 6.6 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,217 feet Route Type: Out & Back

*Good workout due to some steeper parts of the path (wear knee braces or use hiking poles if you have knee problems) *1st half of trail is shaded and is close to a creek; bring water for dogs for the 2nd half *Great scenic views which include a creek, forest, a large meadow with Mt. Rose in the background, etc. *No trail or parking fees :)

Nice shaded hike for the first 1/2, once you get onto the Dry Lake Trail a lot of the trees/brush must have recently been burnt. Not the prettiest but a perfect after work hike.

A creek, a canopy of trees for shade and a bit of a climb. Very enjoyable but busy on weekend mornings.

Great trail run area. Plenty of shade.

One of my favorite trails in town. Super easy! I’ve done it running 28min up 26 down. With a heavy pack about an hour each way. And walking about 40 min up and around the same down. I’ve done it in sneakers and boots! My only issue is if you encounter the sheep herder he is mean and you need to have your dog on the leash if he is around. Typically he is only at the bottom of the trail. Once your away from the parking lot, I let my dog off the leash for the whole hike and haven’t had any issues. The creek can be fast at times so just be careful with your pups!

My first time hiking again, after awhile it is lovely here and worth the time, although bring water and a warm cover. Just went today 5/26/2019 it was gorgeous and abit cold.

Beautiful meadow with a seasonal pond. Combine with other trail connectors for a great ride. The DH is fast and raucous going toward Thomas creek but it was loaded with off leash dogs. Trail conditions are perfect with no mud. I started at Galena south entrance to make a larger loop.

Bring bug spray!

No snow and plenty of shade. Steady but easy uphill. Pond isn’t so dry this time of the year.

trail is on good shape very little snow or mosh. the dry pond is filled with with water and in the daylight reflection of mt rose it looks like a Bob Ross painting. great hike.

gorgeous views throughout! nice stream walk to start and a great incline up to the pond! (when it’s not dried up!)

Didn’t make it all the way to the top due to heavy snow- but it looked like Narnia. So that’s cool.

To say this was a BEAutiful hike would be an understatement...this was the best day of my life! So much work snowshoeing up but so worth the view and the proposal at the pond ❤️

*access road to trails was closed so have to park on Timberline Road. Only .8 miles to white Creek trailhead. *trail follows a gurgly creek, which is wonderful company the first half of the way. Dogs loved it also. forested- would be great in summer here too. *beautiful views all around on second half. *dry creek views didnt dissappoint. *great afternoon here-

Friday, September 07, 2018

Good workout, the sights are decent. Once is good enough for me

Monday, August 20, 2018

There were not many people on the trail. Did run into a few mountain bikers. It is a classic trail for the area. I did get lost on the way back to the car. Once I saw the road, I knew I made a wrong turn. Here is a video of some of the sights. https://youtu.be/KCG1kRpLpKY

Saturday, August 18, 2018

One of our favorites when pressed for time. From the parking lot on Thomas Creek, round trip, I show 5.8 miles, on various devices. The 'pond' has now evaporated.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Love this trail! It’s a good chill hike to do in the late afternoon, but make sure that you bring some bug spray or you will be munched on. It’s nice because the beginning is really easy so if you have kids you can turn around before the switchbacks.

Monday, June 11, 2018

The approach is wonderful as it follows the creek. The ascent is a moderate incline for about 2 miles. Dry pond is beautiful though! Out of nowhere you approach this unexpected “meadow” and it’s just gorgeous the way is nestles into the mountain side. I think the trail length is shorter than listed, though. My Garmin showed about 5.5 miles total.

Saturday, June 09, 2018

Love this trail and wildflowers are beautiful right now

Monday, May 28, 2018

One of my favorite hikes to date. Weather was perfect. Not a lot of people on the upper trail. Some bikers and even 2 horseback riders. All super friendly. The switchbacks made it enjoyable. A great workout without even really realizing it. The trail at the bottom runs along side a creek just another added bonus.

Monday, May 21, 2018

This is a really beautiful hike. The trail winds along a creek at first. There is plenty of shade and the trail is switchbacks which makes it easier. You can hike to the top of the hill to the pond and a little farther for views of Carson City. A LOT of bikers so watch out because they come down fast. I did the hike in the fall and summer and both were enjoyable. You can continue and loop around in both directions at the top if you want. More can be found on my blog (https://www.brisul.com/blog/2017/10/20/dry-pond-hike)

Friday, May 18, 2018

Did this trail for a bit more of a challenge and to migrate closer to the Mt. Rose wilderness area. Getting to the trail head was a good time as you do get to take some dirt roads. They are well maintained but could easily see issues for a 2WD vehicle after a heavy rain or snow. The unit management does a great job in both maintaining the road and the trail. Trail is very easy to follow and there are signs marking when trails cross as there are multiple paths to be taken. I didn't see many people, maybe a dozen or so on my morning hike - and mainly on my return route. About as many mountain bikers as hikers, and all were courteous when crossing paths. There is a bit more variety to the typical 'out and back' trail as there are two different paths you can take in certain areas (one meant for horses and the other for hikers / bikes, but to me it offered a much appreciated slight variety in my surroundings). If you take both the horse path and the "people path" when they split, I recommend the horse going out and the people path on the way back. Its very refreshing to be so close to the stream when you're finishing up your hike. There were no particularly difficult areas to cross or deal with. Pretty much you're on a well-defined dirt trail the entire hike. The challenge comes from the change in elevation, but the views are more than worth whatever slowing of pace you might have to take. Approximately 75% of the trail is covered by trees, and only when scaling the first side of the mountain are you exposed to the sun, but that comes with the bonus of the views. It appears as though there was a fire at some point in time that burned a large number of the trees on the first portion of the mountain you hike. Beautiful in its own way. I found myself looking ahead towards the valleys and eventual view of what I'm guessing was Washoe Lake and the town adjacent as I scaled the front side of the mountain. I was so caught up in looking ahead that only by mistake did I turn around and catch what was truly a magnificent view of the snow-covered Mt. Rose and Church Peak. It was snowing at that elevation on the day I went, which made for some great pictures. I would encourage anyone who takes the trail to take some time to appreciate the views on this side of the mountain. The back side of the mountain that heads down to the Upper Thomas Creek trail was similar to the wooded area that you traverse before heading up the front side of the mountain. You get a nice descent and I was personally fortunate to be greeted by some Steller's Jay Birds, which are quite beautiful. I saw no snow or muddy areas during my hike on 5/13. Everything was dry and manageable. The trail was enjoyable to experience in both directions and I think beats taking the path which loops back around along Timberline Dr. Your experience may vary, but you definitely feel like you're out in the wilderness when sticking to the Dry Pond Trail, and that's what I'm aiming for.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Did an approx 7 mile run from white creek trail to dry pond and there was very little if any ice/mud on the way. The pond was full of loud frogs that made for an awesome halfway point to relax to listen to them.

Monday, February 12, 2018

Hiked this on Saturday, 2/10, it was muddy and icy in several areas. Did not hike down the back side as many said it was very icy. Great hike, beautiful scenery. Lots of dogs and bikers too!

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

We hiked this trail yesterday and other than it being a bit muddy on some parts of the trail it was a great hike! Our dogs had a blast and every other person/dog owner we passed was so friendly. (As were the dogs). There’s a few parts where you will be hiking at a slight incline but other than that it’s a pretty easy hike!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Amazing little trail. Especially gorgeous in the fall with the autumnal colors. I posted about it on my blog (https://www.brisul.com/www.brisul.com/2017/10/20/dry-pond-hike)