Diamond Peak via North Flume Trail

Diamond Peak via North Flume Trail is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2004 feet

Looking for a flat yet scenic hike perfect for novice hikers and/or flat-land visitors? You'll love this historic hike. A flat hike along the Northern Flume, then a quick descent down the Diamond Peak ski resort. First half of hike is largely shaded with beautiful stream crossings. Second half of the hike has dynamite views down the Incline Creek drainage to Lake Tahoe. Also a brief optional out-and-back sojourn to more recent TV history.

We started from the Mt Rose Rd on the flume trail. We headed all the way to where it ended via gps. You can follow it the same way back or hook up the Diamond Peak trail. The flume trail was awesome beautiful views of he lake, crossed 5 brooks, flowers, views and it was pretty much shaded.
At the end we thought why not do a loop and connect to the Diamond Peak trail that leads you back to almost where we started on the flume trail.. Big mistake via my phone gps. My map told us to head down the ski run roads into the ski resort parking lot. It was only by mistake that I found a trail leading out of the back.
It was All up hill back to the flume trail. Was not fun
9.5 miles.
We would do he flume trail again for sure

Not an easy trail at all! The map sent us to the bike trail, but the hike is beautiful and great views of the lake.

Saturday, May 03, 2014

We used the GPS and information sent to my phone via the app and never found the correct place to park. The Google Map indicated we hadn't gone far enough. The directions to the trail head told us we were 800 feet away approaching and then told us we were 1200 feet away and so on. Never found it. We did find a trail...but it wasn't the right one, apparently. I think the best way to describe how to find the start of the trail is to say the Lake Tahoe side as 431 curves around and if you are off by just a bit in where you start looking for the trail, you might do what we did. East of 431 will be on the side away from Tahoe. I have no doubt that this is a great trail for those who can find it and, frankly, I am not sure what was so difficult about it for us. There is an overlook looking at Lake Tahoe. Perhaps referencing that in the directions would be good as that is about the place where 431 horse-shoes back on itself. East of 431 after that overlook (with the big stone thing that has a bunch of plaques on it) is toward the Lake a bit. And not on the left side of 431, either...it is on the right as you head up the hill! If there are any suggestions for finding this location, I would welcome the chance to have a look again.