Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Chimney Beach Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Carson City, Nevada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Out & Back

paddle sports

beach

My wife and I loved this hike. It’s a constant gradual decent to the beach which is nicely secluded.

Beautiful hike but be warned it leads to a nude beach! Worth the trip:!

Easy trail that leads down to a beautiful beach. Good for all ages.

So good I hesitated to recommend it.

Trail is dusty. Highly traveled people who want to swim in Lake Tahoe. Beach access (a beach with sand) is pretty limited, we were told because of high lake level.

Excellent hike on a hot day.

My dad and I took five kids ages 3 to 11 on this hike and it was beautiful! The only sketchy part is crossing the highway but other than that it was fairly easy and only about half a mile down to the water. It does get crowded pretty quickly so I would say start before 10am. We went on a Wednesday morning so I would imagine a weekend would be kind of crazy down there! Also, the beach areas are pretty small this year since the lake is so high and there was a kayak excursion that beached their kayaks and had lunch there so that added to the crowd! Point is, it's gorgeous and worth it and kid friendly, but start early!

Steep on the way out if you are carrying stuff but well worth the 3 beaches

Review for families with kids ~5yrs old. There is parking at the trailhead in an actual lot but can fill up quickly. I’d leave the stroller and wagons in the car. After crossing the road you’re gonna be going downhill pretty much the whole way... there are some pretty steep drop offs off trail so you prob wouldn’t have your kids running around. (Ie hold their hands). The last section to the beach is kinda rough as you gotta go down some steep unstable bits and might need to get a little wet. Once there, there is a small sandy beach will generally chill folks (more family types). It’s beautiful payoff.

Fun steep challenge for me, then I was there! pretty and peaceful.

Kind of tricky to find the “trailhead” but once you’re on it, it’s clear you’re on the right path. It’s about a mile or so of easy hiking, then you end up at the beach! You can turn left to keep hiking, or turn right (cross the cute little “bridge”) to end up at the beach. There isn’t much shade on the beach area so be sure to wear sunscreen and bring a hat! The beach itself was filled with friendly people and dogs, most of which minded their own business (some played music). The water is crystal clear and people were jumping off the rocks near the Chimney! Many people had floaties and kayaks. Overall amazing experience! The hike is fairly easy and it’s totally worth it, I would recommend it for anyone!

Mon May 13 2019

I 100% enjoyed this hike. Such a beautiful view!

Sun May 12 2019

Avoid make beach and end of longer fork if with kiddos. Shady spots along the trail.

recorded Recording - May 07, 01:27 PM

Tue May 07 2019

Great lakeside ramble for the shoulder season.

Sat May 04 2019

Fri Apr 26 2019

Fri Apr 19 2019

Beautiful views and nice soft paths. Trailhead parking closed so we parked on Highway 28 about 1/2 mile south of trailhead.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Great for an evening after work, or for a more relaxing afternoon. Nice place to swim and snorkel at the bottom!

Mon Nov 19 2018

*visited this lovely beach after going up chimney beach trail to marlette lake. * no one here when we were in mid november - we watched the sun go down- which was breathtaking. *sweet beach - sweet little hike down here. * special place.

Mon Oct 08 2018

This was a lovely dirt trail down to a cute little secluded beach. We only made it down to the chimney beach and back as we had a 5 year old and 3 year old on foot and a 1 year old in a carrier. Would recommend this short portion as family and kid friendly.

Tue Sep 11 2018

Starts off steep, but levels out after about 1/4 mile. Beautiful hiking right on the edge of the lake. Bring a bathing suit.

Wed Sep 05 2018

very cool trail we started at secret cove (nude beach) sweeeeeet ha ha trail runs right along the lake until you come to chimney beach loved it highly recommended. been coming here for years now were locals yeeaaahhhh.

Sat Aug 25 2018

We loved this hike! We took our 4 year old and 1 year old! Beautiful view of the lake and the beach is perfect! Highly recommend, especially for kids!

Fri Aug 10 2018

Love love love it!! Hard hike down with the paddle board I would think but next time I might try to bring it.

Wed Aug 01 2018

Beach is quick to get to

Fri Jun 15 2018

Beautiful beach, easy to get to.

Tue May 29 2018

Great place to go when you don't have a lot of time and do want to enjoy great views of the lake.

Sat May 26 2018

Love.

Sat May 05 2018

Great walk along the shore of Lake Tahoe. Despite there being a lot of people around, we also saw a lot of birds (osprey, common merganser, white-headed woodpecker).

Wed Nov 15 2017

fun trail for dogs! beautiful views of the lake.