Cave Spring via Trail Canyon is a 7.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Charleston, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.6 km Elevation Gain: 604 m Route Type: Out & Back

so we totally missed the cut off for the end of this hike. The caves are not a destination that you will just run into. Make sure and note your distance once you start the trail that is an off shoot of the trail canyon trail. I will post some pictures to hopefully help future hikers. If you pass the caves the trail will continue onward and upward. We hiked an extra 2 miles to an amazing overlook before meeting other humans who informed us that we had missed the caves. As for parking the lots were all blocked for car entrance by a local police officer but if you continue around the bend on 157 (Kyle canyon) you can park on the side of the road and walk to the trail head about 600 meters (ish) Loads of people on the Mt. but very few on this particular trail. we hiked 8.5 miles and encountered 11 people total.

This is one of my favorite southern NV hikes, partly because of the epic, panoramic views of the spring mountain range and partly because it is downright grueling work to get to the summit. Right now you can get about 7 miles up until the snow takes over the trail. Although I didn’t make it to the peak, it was another epic day in the Mt. Charleston wilderness. Ps. You have to park in the parking lot on the corner of Echo Rd and Spruce Rd. Highway Patrol and Metro are patrolling, but that’s all they are doing. No one got tickets for parking in an open lot. Have fun fam!

Nice little off shoot hike we took after doing Trail Canyon Trail. No problem with snow. Pretty little cave with spring (partially frozen- but some water is trickling out). Nice to sit up there take a rest and look at the views before heading back down.

Completed this trail as an off-shoot of the Trail Canyon Trail. Nice cave at the end to sit down and have a little lunch.

This is a really beautiful trail! Well maintained, wide in many places, good amount of shade throughout (we went midday). And the trail head is easy to find (in the same parking lot as Mary Jane Falls). But be warned, it is also very challenging. It’s completely uphill, though some parts are steeper than others. It also says it’s 4.7 miles, but our phones counted our steps at 7 miles and it definitely felt like it! We went up to the caves, but you could stop about .5 miles earlier at a lookout spot. I think the view at the look out made it 100% worth the uphill hike!

Beautiful trail, especially in October when the leaves are orange at the top. It’s definitely a leg workout and uphill the entire way with narrow switchbacks. Also, it’s a bit longer than the length mentioned by AllTrails. While going up we passed right by the caves which will be up a little hill on your right. We ended up hiking towards the peak which is part of the same trail. Brings lots of water and enjoy. Very much worth the challenge.

Went Aug. 20, 2019 weather was perfect, after hiking Mary Jane Trail, did Trail Canyon Trail got up to 9600 ft. and had to get back. It was arduous and challenging, but worth the it. Took a little more then 1 liter of water, just enough for that hike. First 1.25 mi. was relatively steep got much easier at the top.

This trail is more like 6 miles out and back, so it’s a long haul up as it’s all uphill. It’s a great workout. Not too crowded. Well marked. If you go right at the top it’s got better views than going left to the cave.

Nice, steadily uphill hike with amazing views as you climb. It took 2.5 hours and will definitely be part of the regular rotation for me.

Good hike. Steep rocky uphill. But fun !!

My favorite Mt Charleston trail to jog back down.

Mon May 06 2019

I like this trail! Starting out on Trail Canyon Trail, take a left when you get to the top. It is one heck of a climb, but rewarding in its views. The cave is directly above the horse trough. Looks like people have had some fires among the rocks to warm themselves. There were some ice patches, but the footing seems solid on them. On the way back down, I ventured past the end of TCT and hiked up to the 3 nearby overlooks.

Tue Oct 30 2018

Amazing hike! Beautiful view, very peaceful. I went early in the morning and nobody was there, and when I was coming down I only saw three people (on a tuesday). Definitely a tough incline that wasn’t expected but it made it better once you get to the top! :)

Mon Sep 03 2018

Great hike!! A steeper incline than we expected but well worth it! Get ready for some strong cardio and intense lower body workout!

Sun Sep 02 2018

Great uphill climb, gorgeous views, perfect weather. Hike up 2 miles, go left, canyon about a 1/2 mile. Good resting spot. Go back to divide and hike right for another gorgeous view. FYI We got there at 9. Plenty of parking. When we left at 12:30 people were circling for parking. Will do again!

Mon Aug 27 2018

This hill is almost completely uphill the entire way. Pros: Very strenuous hike, but worth it to reach the look out point. Views are stunning from there. Cons: The cave is not really a cave at all, and quite disappointing to be honest.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Perfect for cardio and leg workout while surrounded by ever chhanging stunning views

Fri Jul 27 2018

Very well marked. Cave provides great shade. The last 50 or so feet to the cave is steep and slippery.

Fri Jul 20 2018

As others have said, it's a well-defined trail up a beautiful part of the Spring Mountains. I stopped for a break here on my way down from Mummy Mountain. The trail is well used but I've never seen it get "busy" like nearby trails do. The springs are in a nice shady portion of the trail and were still trickling; the water is cool and clear, but you'll probably want to filter it just to be safe.

Mon Sep 25 2017

Good views. Tough climb the whole time.

Wed Sep 13 2017

Great hike. All up hill to the little springs. It's pretty steep and a good leg workout. low traffic, we'll defined trail.

Tue Sep 05 2017

Great workout for the legs. It's a steep elevation for about 2 miles then not too bad. Beautiful views from the top.

Mon Jun 05 2017