Cathedral Rock Trail

Cathedral Rock Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the signed trailhead the trail starts in a westward direction at a slight grade. It winds through thick patches of aspens and evergreens before passing by the alternative trail. The trail turns south and heads toward the magnificent Echo Cliffs. The Cliffs have a sheer drop of almost 1,000 feet. As the trail snakes to the west of Echo Cliffs, a side trail leads to a small seep. Water flows from the seep in the spring. Once past Echo Cliffs, the trail heads west and the grade becomes steeper as it makes its way across a slope. As you traverse the slope, you can see the destruction an avalanche can wreak on a mountain. Many trees and boulders are still misplaced by an avalanche that happened years ago. The trail flattens out as it heads toward the backside of Cathedral Rock. This is the easiest and most enjoyable part of the trail, a cakewalk through a forest, and you forget that you're 8,000 feet above sea level. Save your energy for the last quarter mile of the trail-it's steep. When the trail divides, go right on the unmarked footpath. About a half-dozen switchbacks leads to the top of Cathedral Rock. The view becomes more spectacular with every step. On the far NE side there's a place to sit and admire the view. Mt. Charleston Lodge lies 1,000 feet below and farther to the east you can see the desert floor. To the north is Mummy Mountain; to the NW is Mary Jane Falls, and to the west is Charleston Peak. If you eat lunch, you may have a visitor or two. This is the only place in the world you'll have the opportunity to see the Palmer Chipmunk. As hard as it is, resist feeding them. By feeding them they become dependent on humans for their food. In the winter the chipmunks must rely on their food-gathering skills or perish. Watch children closely at the top; the drop-offs are more than 500 feet at the edges. Railings have been erected, but they seem to entice people to climb down to them.

Great moderate trail nothing too technical, but can be listed more moderate to hard depending on the hiker.

I need more practice hiking at altitude and maybe cooler temps for this one. I only did about 1.4 miles total I'm an avid gym goer and this one was a little tough for me at almost 49.

Beautiful hike with great views. There is very little shade and the grade is pretty steep for the majority of the hike. I would say it's "difficult" or "hard" instead of moderate, but it can be done.

I love this hike! I brought my husband with me, and he isn't a very seasoned hiker nor is he one to go to the gym often, but he was able to hike this trail. It's not very difficult nor is it totally easy. It's a small incline that's enough to give you an enjoyable workout. The view was spectacular! We went around 1 PM since we aren't really morning people. Nevertheless, the weather was perfect at high 60 F to low 70 F during our Memorial Day hike.

First time hiking with my two boys! The trail was amazing! If my six year old and my twelve year old boys can do It! You can too! Saw people of all walks of life enjoying the scenic view and the outdoors!. We definitely will do it again!