Calico Tanks Trail is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 406 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

From the parking lot follow the wide trail 30 yards where it crosses a wash and resumes by the trail sign on the far side. When the trail divides, take the right fork as indicated by the trail sign. You soon walk past a signed Agave Roasting Pit, part of Indian history. Just beyond the Agave Roasting Pit go right as indicated by the trail sign. In a few yards the trail turns into a gravel wash. In about 40 yards leave the wash via an unsigned trail to the right. Its about .75 of a mile to the tank from here. Follow the sandy trail as it heads SE. The trail disappears as it ascends a sandstone ramp. Just beyond the ramp you ascend sandstone steps off to the right. If in doubt of the route, just stay low in the bottom of the drainage. You come to an easy climb by a log. Just past the climb veer left up sandstone steps. At the top of the steps veer right across level ground. Soon you'll ascend two sets of sandstone stairs. At the top of the second set of stairs you see a notch off in the distance; Calico Tank sits on the far side of the notch. Continue on the trail to another highpoint. From here Calico Tank is just a few hundred yards. After ascending a final set of steps the terrain flattens. Keep heading the same direction (SE) until Calico Tank comes into view. Descend to the tank. The tank can range from dry (summer months) to ice (winter months). This is a great spot to relax and have a snack. Note: It's too hot to hike this trail during summer months.

Definitely a lot of scrambling & following the people aged of me but fun& a good work out. Beautiful scenery

Went here for my second time hiking. The trail was easy to follow and there are lots of picturesque rock formations and views along the way. The tank was empty when we got there but the overlook view of the whole valley is the real treat!

Big horn sheep and a great view of the valley!

Wish the trail had more markers! We got lost several times. Beautiful scenery nonetheless!

can get a little scrambled as there aren’t many trail marks. otherwise, I enjoyed the climbing!

Calico trail is GORGEOUS!!! For 2+ miles, you will be climbing over rocks 2/3 of the way to the end. Nevertheless, the mild to moderate climb (depending on your level of fitness) is worth the view. I wish their were more trail markers since you will do a lot of scrambling to figure out the best way to go. I understand the integrity of the trails are important, however a trail marker is essential for not only the best scenic experience but for safety as well. I hiked this with my boyfriend who's not a hiker nor an outdoorsy person (he wanted to make me happy) so I plan to do it again and go all the way. Overall, I highly recommend this trail. It will not disappoint! ;)

Very nice trail. Arrive early to avoid the heat and people with music without headphones

Easily a favorite!! Class III scramble, amazing views and rocks the whole way! Short and great for a little morning hike but definitely enough to get blood pumping!

Hiked this trail October 9. Stunning views around every corner. Fortunate to see a juvenile bighorn! Very highly recommend!

Haven’t hiked in a while and this was always my fav trail from back when I was in shape. It wasn’t that bad to get to the end... and the views are amazing. I love this trail!

This trail combines all the best of what Red Rock has to offer! Check out my full review at the link below: https://youtu.be/UxENoE19h0E The Hobby Hiker

The view at end...

Excellent , scenic , moderate ,consider as basics for rock climbing for beginners . No need for equipment use 4 limbs .

Moderate trail with very good views of the mountains and the desert vegetation.

great hike although this time of the year the tanks are empty. make sure you walk past the last tank and there is an amazing view of Las Vegas.

To start, I am a NOVICE HIKER. My husband told me this trail is considered "moderate" so I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Yes, it was beautiful, but it was not well marked, and it was tough. I kept thinking to myself - if this is "moderate", what the heck is "rugged"?!?! At some points, we were so happy to see other hikers so they could tell us where we needed to go to get to the top. I'm in shape and fairly athletic, but this trail was still hard on my knees and was pretty challenging.