Calico Hills Trail

Calico Hills Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hell Hill serves as the warm up for this grueling summit ascent. The class 3 ridgeline scramble is worth every step. The Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area in Nevada is part of the National Landscape Conservation System. This area helps to preserve the large red rock formations and sandstone peaks known as the Keystone Thrust. Popular for hiking and rock climbing, the highest point is La Madre Mountain, at 8,154 feet (2,485 m). Note: Calico Hills is most often referred to as the grouping of colorful sandstone formations north of the entrance to the Scenic Loop Road. This includes the popular Calico Tanks trail and Redcap Peak.

Great hike! Sprained my ankle at the top but the view was worth the ace bandage :)

The scenery is awesome!!!

Great hike with a rewarding view and a different perspective of the Las Vegas strip!

you can go in So many directions. you will find great views and and meet great people along the way.

Amazing that all these beautiful trails are so close to Vegas. Stunning views everywhere if you can appreciate the rugged, rocky formations. A very serene yet challenging hike in late November.

this could be one of my most favorite trails I've done. only down side is lost the trail a few times. which led to awsome adventures. I almost preferred being off the trail. I went in February and the weather was perfect. But once that sun goes down grab a sweater.

Great trail. Fun scrambling and excellent views at the end.

A great trail. You can make it as hard as you want with rock scrambling. Red rock is a great hiking destination not far from Vegas. In the winter months that’s especially nice because of the shorter daylight hours.

What an amazing trail,, hard yes but the views are just amazing,, red color everywhere... glad I took time from competition schedule and did this short hike, didn't finish all trail due to tight time!!

really fun trail...

More scrambling than we expected but worth the extra work. Definitely felt safer doing this with a buddy. There are hundreds of ways to the top, so don't worry too much about getting lost. If you feel like one way looks too challenging just turn around- there will always be an easier way.

If you're an early riser this trail has morning shade in the Summer until around 8am.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

great trail... but don't be afraid to head up the rocks. lots of ways to go and lots of amazing views.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Completed the full trail on Jan 26th. Took an Uber from the Vegas strip and found myself stuck at the park since there is no cell coverage at Red Rock - had to call a cab from visitors centre (next time I'll arrange pick up time from uber). The construction at Vista 1 access is still going - however we were able to hop the temporary fencing and complete the entire trail. Absolutely beautiful trail. The calico tank portion was covered in ice and snow making it somewhat precarious, particularly in areas requiring scrambling. Nice view of Vegas for those that make it to the end.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

This trailhead at Calico Vista 1 is closed for parking lot reconstruction until approximately January. if not earlier. No access from the Visitor center or Calico 1 to the entire trail. YOU'll have to access via Calico Vista 2 or in Red Springs Picnic area.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Calico trails are fun and challenging hikes that reward you with a beautiful view of Las Vegas if you follow it all the way to Calico Tanks. I hiked this back in mid-summer when there wasn't much water in the pools and the heat was brutal. I easily drank my 4 liters of water. Definitely recommend solid hiking shoes/boots and optionally gloves for the small but frequent scrambles as you approach the high points. This is my favorite Red Rock hike, if I had to choose one.

Friday, October 28, 2016

All I can say is awesome

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Beautiful scenery

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Absolutely beautiful. Wouldn't hike it alone as there are some sketch scrambling spots. Definitely worth the view at the top.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Parked at Calico 1 and hiked down and to the right until couldn't go any further. Then went back to the left and hiked over to almost Calico 2 parking lot and back to our car. Lots of scrambling over rocks throughout - very beautiful rock formations. Plan to go back and hike from Calico 2 to Tanks. The map on this site is not where we went but followed the trail info from the park hiking guide.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

This was an impromptu hike, but glad I explored here! The labyrinth was a pleasant surprise!

Saturday, July 16, 2016

If u follow this one around to the east it will circle the Mnt with a bit of scrambling makes a better hike n often has wildlife.

Monday, March 21, 2016

Great views and optional rock scrambling.

Sunday, December 07, 2014

I hiked all through Red Rock. I did the Calico 1 up to White Rock and then back down the visitor center and back to the Calico 1 parking lot. My calculations were around 12 miles. Besides the length it was fairly easy. Not a lot of elevation gains. Started out early and felt like I had the place to my self. By the time I was done...it was packed.

Friday, September 26, 2014

My girlfriend and I hiked along Calico and through Sandstone Quarry. It was an awesome, well maintained trail with breath taking views. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually stimulating, which is needed after spending some time in Vegas.

Thursday, August 07, 2014

The Calico trails include Calico 1, Calico 2, and Calico Tanks. This area of Red Rock epitomizes its name with all of the red and multicolored sandstone rock formations. Beautiful scenery and many wildflowers in the spring. The trail to Calico Tanks is a moderate hike. There is water present most of the year, which is surprising because this is a desert environment.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

I was looking for a quick early morning workout hike to do while visiting Vegas. This looked like a perfect gamble and turned out to be a solid bet. In short it was very enjoyable. Good trail, beautiful vistas, nice challenge, memorable summit.

Tips: I was hoping for closer to one hour because I usually move pretty fast, but even though I jogged half way up and three quarters of the way down, it still took me almost two hours. I was at the top for about 15 minutes taking pics and signing the register and enjoying the view. So my suggestion is to prepare for closer to two hours minimum unless you blaze.

The other suggestions are NO DOGS. The last quarter mile is class 3 and that means you'll be using your hands a lot to help you climb. There are some dangerously exposed sections that would result in severe injury should you fall. So also think twice about bringing the kiddies too. I'm glad I left my three little hikers sleeping with mom. That said, I'm sure some kids would do fine, but if you have doubt about their abilities or your nerves, let them age a few years before they try this one. As far as the dogs, I'm confident that 99% of dog owners would agree this is not a dog friendly summit. Not only is there lots of exposure, but the rock is literally razor sharp and will destroy Rover's pads. Which reminds me, if you have some gloves, bring them, you will be glad you did. I usually keep some of those Dollar Store gloves that have the palms dipped in rubber in my pack, but I traveled ultra light this time and did not bring a pack.

I also wore trail runner shoes which was a bad choice due to the rugged terrain of the last half mile or so. I actually ruined them. WAH!

Without dogs and kids, and with gloves and proper footwear, this hike is super fun. I even had a coyote pacing me for the first half way up, and timed my ascent so the sun was just breaking over the closest eastern ridge while I was at the summit. Most enjoyable.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Stopped here for short hike during conference in Vegas. Beautiful area and amazing how much slight changes in sun angle made this a constantly beautiful and different hike in vs. out. I loved the rock scramble but not a fan of ledges and edges... Grasping with fingers tips and being on front tips of my trail shoes near tanks area was a little out of my comfort zone. I was very happy another hiker told me I could take " the high road" on the way back to go on regular trail higher than this. That felt much better. Good little work out if walking briskly. Many people had small kids with them. I would have had a heart attack with my 3 boys jumping around on this trail. Would not have been relaxing for me tone on death watch with kids in tow.

Thursday, October 17, 2013

This scramble is awesome. There are many trails on both calico 1 and 2, choose carefully because some lead you to some rock climbing ledges. beautiful in the spring and in September. I wouldn't bring dogs because my 2 dogs were exhausted from climbing half way through. I've completed both hikes with my 9 year old nephew. have a blast!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

If you like to scramble, you won't want to miss this ridge line to summit exposure. A Calico Hills HP - Kraft Mountain loop would make a wonderful day of exploration in Red Rock Canyon.