Brownstone Canyon Trail

Brownstone Canyon Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

You need a 4WD vehicle to get to the trailhead and the access road starts from the recent home construction. I had a security guard talk to me and he said he was watching to make sure nobody is lighting bonfires but seemed to be ok with me driving on the dirt roads. The rocks up there are fun to climb and there are some old cattleman dams (one is at the beginning and another at the end) and there are petroglyphs and agave pits.

We couldn't find this trail! The directions provided via the AllTrails map lead us to a road that was under construction or development (5/25/19). We rerouted instead to the Red Rock Conservation Area. No trail exists there by this name.

Friday, October 23, 2015

This was an amazing hike area best to have a day or two to do all the trails. I only had a couple of hours and calico tanks trail has the best of everything.

off road driving
Thursday, August 13, 2015

I took a Jeep Tour on this one out of Las Vegas. We stopped at various sites and it's a great photo opportunity excursion.

Monday, December 29, 2014

My visit to Red Rock Canyon was amazing. There are several trails and many areas where you can stop to take in the beauty. The entire reserve has some of the most beautiful rock formations I've ever seen. Although the weather was very hot when I visited, I got a glimpse at a few rock climbers taking advantage of this beautiful location as well. If I ever get another chance to return, I'll probably spend more time on several more trails.

scenic driving
Saturday, November 01, 2014

I had never been out west prior to this place so the literal "red rocks" were pretty amazing. They had a sceninc little drive that you could make several stops, get out and walk through areas, climb on the sides of the mountains, and if you wanted to you could get a backpack permit and rock climb and stay in the middle of it all :P! Love this place and if we ever head back to this area we would definitely visit it again.

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Love the hiking and moderate rock climbing.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

when I lived in Vegas (early 90s) the outskirts of town stopped at Buffalo. now thr subdivisions go all the way up to Red Rock. sad. the scrambling and exploring of these rocks were my passion. still great but I miss the good old days.

Monday, June 04, 2012

I only wish BrownStone was more protected! Howard Hughes Development is building right up to the foothills. Still one of my favorite places!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

First desert hike in my life, totally awesome. Different from anything I had down in the north and south part of the country.

Thursday, March 01, 2018