Brown's Creek Loop Trail

Brown's Creek Loop Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Washoe Valley, Nevada that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Nice little partial loop hike up through Galena forest and down into Brown's Creek Canyon. Well maintained and marked trail.

Went snowshoeing Sunday during the snow storm. It was beautiful and challenging. We were lucky there were some tracks from a previous person, otherwise we would not have been able to know where the trail went with all the snow.

Very diverse trail. Climb at the beginning that crests into another valley. Challenging today with melting snow and ice in places. Overall elevation change creates a good workout.

Great trail and a steep incline!

This is a fabulous hike! Steep incline to begin, then back up at the end! You cross the creek three times (: My pup loved. Would definitely do again!

This was a fantastic hike. Definitely a moderate challenge. Amazing views. I love how curvy the trail is... gives it diversity. The creek was flowing today and a nice background noise when you’re near it. Mountain views are amazing!

*very nice little hike, not far from reno.
*crosses creek twice- good water for the dogs.
*nice shaded sections.
*not overly crowded and only one mountain bike.
*takes a couple of hours (we made a slow pace for looking at fall colors...)for a quick getaway.
*wonderful.

Beautiful hike, mostly shade but a section uphill is nothing but sun. well marked and aspens are changing right now. Was easy for my pup and I.

Great, easier hike. Perfect for kiddos and pups!

I ran this loop yesterday, one of my favorites in the fall. Stopped a lot for photos of the colors popping. This is a great easy run of an hour or so depending on how much you stop for photos! An easy, runnable climb from the TH to the saddle of about a mile, then take the counter clockwise loop for a beautiful slightly downhill run to the first creek where you're rewarded with beautiful golden aspen mixed in with the pines. Continue around the loop on easy runnable trail to get into another creek with Aspen. The trail is markedly improved since it was first built a few years ago. It finally gets to the bottom of the loop then climbs out steadily where running turns to hiking (for me) until you return to the end of the lollipop and begin the easy mile run back to the trailhead. Love love this trail!

Great fall hike! Specs are correct. Took us 2 hours start to finish. The trail is marked very well, hard to get lost. Creek is running and the aspens are changing.

Longer than expected, but worth the trek.
The "loop" doesn't begin until over 1 mile into the hike.
Starting out at the parking lot, this trail follows and incline, into beautiful Jeffrey and Fir forest, with Manzanita and ground holly, making for a complete forested, shady, mid-day hike.
We started at 1:45pm, after lunch, and arrived back at the car, at 3:15, making this about a 2.5 hour hike.
Contrary to some other reviews, it is true to its specs, being about 4 and half miles, round trip. But with the inclines, and varying terrain in the actual loop, you end up climbing a long hill twice during the hike, making it feel longer than it actually is.
When we past the crest, we arrived at the fork for the start of the loop. The loop was amazing! Mostly sunny at first, but then arriving into a forest of aspen trees, a rushing creek, and cool breeze. The views of Mt. Rose and the Sierras were unobstructed and spectacular.
The loop essentially has three sections . . . a downgrade with views of the mountains, a low lying trail following the creek, and a sunny ascent back up to the crest.
I was so surprised the creek was running, at the end of summer, this late in September.
The aspen trees along the creek were just starting to turn color, leaving us to wonder what their color will be in early October! We want to come back soon.
Overall, this is a fun hike. Mostly shady. Several types of terrain, two types of forest, and remarkable views. It is marked well, and maintained by the county rangers.
Bring water, as the air is high and dry. Brink hiking equipment and trekking poles if you have a tough time with rocks . . . some spots had trail obstructions. And finally, if you are sensitive to the sun, bring a sun hat. About 1/3 of the trail is in full sun (along part of the loop).
We are looking forward to reviewing this trail in the winter, with snow gear.

Mike & Angel, EarthTrek Gear, EarthTrekGear.com

Sooo... I am a flat land 66yo from FL. I saw this trail and comments and it looked great. Would have been real good if the description mentioned it was 1.5 miles in and 1.5 miles out, to get to the 4.2 mile loop. I was up for 4 miles, NOT 7 !!

This is a nice neighborhood hike. Don’t listen to the reviews that say to ignore the sign - that gave me a much longer hike indeed! It has some very nice views and a great trail to live by! I’d rank it on the easier side of moderate for sure.

Great hike, beautiful views with just enough incline to give a bit of a workout. I’ll do this one again for sure.

Great trail for horseback. We also believe we heard a bear in the woods and did see some scat.

There a couple of streams that we had to walk the horses through as the bridges are narrow and I am not sure they are rated for a horse.

Highly recommend this loop, and ample trailer parking at the trailhead.

Good trail but be careful! I’ve had two bear sightings in the last two weeks.

Loved it!!

Nice trail, ran the flats and downhill. 1hr but showed on my GPS 4.56

We saw a baby bear.

Did this hike this morning. It was beautiful. I would recommend hiking early due to the open stretches in the sun. There is a sign on the loop that is marked incorrectly. The arrow points left, but you need to make a right to stay on the loop. It shows forest service straight ahead and Brown’s Creek to the left. If you look closely someone tried to scratch an arrow to the right. I only mention this because we went the wrong way and had to double back.

very nice trail. good mix of shade and sun. early June the creek is still running strong. lots of wild flowers and lizards to see as well. very popular with mountain bikers.

beautiful hike. lots of wildflowers! steep in parts, just enough to feel like a great workout!

Great trail with a lot of up and down. The trail is pretty rocky and steep in places. The wildflowers are just starting to bloom!

Great trail. Strenuous for running given the topography and elevation, for this flat lander.

What a fun trail! It was nice to be in the trees again after waiting for the snow to melt, and this was a great first trail of the season. Lots of water in the creek at this time of year, but still very passable.

Friday, November 24, 2017

recommend for sure

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Such a fun, not well known, trail! Very good for running and hiking.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Good leg workout. wouldn't recommend for young kids. lots of narrow trails with drop offs.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

I love this shaded trail. There weren't many people on it with us. The views of the city and Washoe Valley are great.

Friday, September 01, 2017

Did this trail last summer and just now found it on alltrails. Great hike with a little bit of everything. beware the bikers though.