Boundary Peak - Nevada Highpoint

Boundary Peak - Nevada Highpoint is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dyer, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We hiked the Queen Canyon Trail head. The road had some scarier parts because it rained that day and parts were washed out. It was fine in our truck but still a little scary at night. Even five miles prior to the trail head there were big washouts that would be questionable to pass without a high clearance vehicle.

I really enjoyed the Queen Canyon route we chose and thought it was great, but I don't know how the other trial is. The first part is steep but fine. Then it gets flat for over a mile. It's a nice break from thee steep. Then the second steep part was the toughest. I'm SO glad we brought trekking poles. It got really steep and these helped with balance. It made it better to get up. After this steep part it got a little more flat. Then the last steep part was the summit. I thought this part wasn't as bad as the previous steep part. Some people mentioned the scree being bad, but we felt most of the hike we had sure footings and we were in running shoes.

A lot of reviews said they struggled to see the trail. This wasn't our case at all. It was easy to follow and not get lost. I'm not an avid hiker, but I'm fit. It took three hours to get up and two to get down. We jogged the flat part on the way down. I did feel like we had a faster pace than average and didn't take any breaks.

Be prepared to scramble up DG for a while. Great views but a brutal ascent.

Great hike! Spectacular view! Don't plan on doing it again!! Hiked with my daughter on Tuesday 8/29/2017. Used the Queen mine trailhead, rather than Trail Canyon after reading different reviews. Stoped at the forest service headquarters in Bishop for an update on the Queen mine road, but they were of no help. The turn off for Queen mine is 9 miles out of Benton with a old water tank that has JR written on it on the opposite side of the road. Queen mine is 6.2 from the turn off. The last 4 miles are rutted and rough, but my 4Runner had no problem. Didn't try to make the next 1.25 mile to Kennedy saddle, because I was uncertain about road conditions. When we hiked to the saddle, a guy in a Subaru was parked there. Certainly, can make this section in 4WD, but is more difficult on a steep hillside and might depend on drivers ability and comfort. Really like mountain forecast website who predicted rain that morning. Fortunately, forecast was wrong and had a perfect day with some cloud cover, intermittent sunshine and no rain. Trail description accurately described on multiple blogs. There's a trail head register just above Kennedy saddle put in by Highpointers.org. This is a relative lightly trafficked trail, although I was surprised there were about 200 entries in the register since July 1. The one guy we saw at Kennedy saddle wasn't climbing and saw no one else all day. Different opinions on how difficult it is.The last 2 miles are steep gaining about 2300 feet on sections of loose scree with some class 2 scrambling. I would definitely take poles. No water, so take enough! In my opinion, last 2 miles is more strenuous/harder than Mount Borah(except chicken out ridge), Elbert,Whitney or Kings Peak(recognizing latter 2 being more tiring, because they're a lot longer hikes). But I'm 65, although I think in pretty good shape. Spectacular view from the top!! Have pretty good cell service from Trail Canyon saddle to the summit. From Queens mine to the summit is about 5 miles and 4150 feet elevation. We made the summit in four hours and down in 3 1/2. Good luck and have fun! Keep climbing!

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Aug 16, 2017
No snow anywhere on the mountain. The road leading up to the trailhead is more suited for 4wd cars but 2wd can get up a fair way. Still 4wd would be best.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Highest point in the greatest state. Gets steep, gets loose, sketchy at times, but you earn your summit!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Not lying about a few steep parts. Wear your boots. Great high point and majestic views await at the top

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Hiked this one in 2011 in February. Great hike and even better views. Steep portions of trail, with a little scree climbing near the summit, but well worth the trip.

Friday, March 08, 2013

One of my favorite highpoint hikes. The trail had some pretty steep portions, but as you can see from our photos, well worth the effort. The 6 mile roundtrip hike took us 5 hours to do with the 4000 plus feet of elevation gain.

The trailhead takes a little time to locate.

Saturday, July 29, 2017