Boundary Peak - Nevada Highpoint

Boundary Peak - Nevada Highpoint is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dyer, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,953 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is not a typical hike on a clearly marked trail - but it is worthwhile! The trail is overgrown (long pants are highly recommended) and it disappears in the shrub and reappears again. Similarly, on the final approach there are multiple options (requiring rock scrambling) which makes it fun. The trail is very lightly trafficked (compared to other state highpoints) - I haven't seen anyone all day long. I hiked from the Canyon Trail Trailhead approaching via Chiatovich Creek (the trailhead is not marked on Google maps for now, but can be seen on a satellite image). It took me 5 hours to summit (through the wash among the bristlecones and the saddle) and 2 hours to descent (down the scree). The views from the summit are amazing!

6/11/19 Canyon trail No real trail to speak of, go up the sagebrush valley(stay on the far right or far left) turn left at the saddle and follow the mountain on the right. The scree field is tough and covered with snow most of the way up. At the top of the ridge was more then waist deep snow that prevented us from reaching the summit (so close). The saddle trail back was covered in thick snow so we went back the way we came up, it was great as we just sled on our backsides to the bottom of the scree field on the snow covered part (saved hours). Will try again some day...

I hiked the Queen Mine trail after completing White Mountain earlier in the day. I was hoping to get to Montgomery Peak and check that off also but by the time I got to the summit the sun had set and didn't want to risk it. Descending in the dark was slow because I had to frequently check my GPS to ensure I was still on course. I do not recommend trying to hike here in the dark. Overall, a good high point peak.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

I got perfect weather and summited 8/17/2018 via Queen's Mine in about 10 hours. The road up to the first parking area was drivable with AWD/4WD as I saw a Subaru Impreza in addition to my Ford Expedition, but 2WD vehicles likely won't make it up under current conditions (looks like they've gotten some rain recently). The final mile drive up to the second parking area wasn't easily doable with my Expedition so I gave that up and walked it. While I'm in ok shape for a guy with a desk job, I live in PA and am by no means a high altitude hiker. If you're in a similar position, I would rate this hike as difficult but doable provided you take it slow like I did. One word of caution is to don't get overzealous and make sure you're minding your elevation gain rate. I gained the second parking area and saddle much too quickly and started feeling a little sick. Resting, rehydrating, and eating a snack at the saddle for about 30 minutes did the trick and I was able to complete the hike but I don't think I would've needed such a long stop if I had been more careful on the way up. As many have mentioned, the scree can be a real PITA but slow and steady wins the race. Not many folks hike this peak so you're likely to be alone which presents some additional risk, so be careful. All in all, great hike up to the Nevada state highpoint!

Monday, August 20, 2018

We did the via trail canyon. Did not want to mess with queens mine road as I could not get solid information on it. Multiple people had different takes on the road. Also wanted a harder hike. We gone two different ways up boundary from trail canyon. first time was up the scree slope (I would never recommend that to my worst enemy), it is sandy granite and straight up. Two steps forward and you slide back one step. Thankfully our second time we found the turn off the scree trail to meet up with the trail junction. So much easier that ascent than the scree. We did a brief count at the summit log book and only seen about 200 people signed in the past couple years. A lot of people must not reach the summit considering a comment at queens mine trail log stated 200 since July. Both times we have been there were saturdays and not one person on the mountian. Bring car battery jumper, last you want is to be 17 miles from a "highway" with no cell reception and a dead car battery.

Friday, July 13, 2018

We hiked the Queen Canyon Trail head. The road had some scarier parts because it rained that day and parts were washed out. It was fine in our truck but still a little scary at night. Even five miles prior to the trail head there were big washouts that would be questionable to pass without a high clearance vehicle. I really enjoyed the Queen Canyon route we chose and thought it was great, but I don't know how the other trial is. The first part is steep but fine. Then it gets flat for over a mile. It's a nice break from thee steep. Then the second steep part was the toughest. I'm SO glad we brought trekking poles. It got really steep and these helped with balance. It made it better to get up. After this steep part it got a little more flat. Then the last steep part was the summit. I thought this part wasn't as bad as the previous steep part. Some people mentioned the scree being bad, but we felt most of the hike we had sure footings and we were in running shoes. A lot of reviews said they struggled to see the trail. This wasn't our case at all. It was easy to follow and not get lost. I'm not an avid hiker, but I'm fit. It took three hours to get up and two to get down. We jogged the flat part on the way down. I did feel like we had a faster pace than average and didn't take any breaks.

Friday, July 13, 2018

Be prepared to scramble up DG for a while. Great views but a brutal ascent.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Great hike! Spectacular view! Don't plan on doing it again!! Hiked with my daughter on Tuesday 8/29/2017. Used the Queen mine trailhead, rather than Trail Canyon after reading different reviews. Stoped at the forest service headquarters in Bishop for an update on the Queen mine road, but they were of no help. The turn off for Queen mine is 9 miles out of Benton with a old water tank that has JR written on it on the opposite side of the road. Queen mine is 6.2 from the turn off. The last 4 miles are rutted and rough, but my 4Runner had no problem. Didn't try to make the next 1.25 mile to Kennedy saddle, because I was uncertain about road conditions. When we hiked to the saddle, a guy in a Subaru was parked there. Certainly, can make this section in 4WD, but is more difficult on a steep hillside and might depend on drivers ability and comfort. Really like mountain forecast website who predicted rain that morning. Fortunately, forecast was wrong and had a perfect day with some cloud cover, intermittent sunshine and no rain. Trail description accurately described on multiple blogs. There's a trail head register just above Kennedy saddle put in by Highpointers.org. This is a relative lightly trafficked trail, although I was surprised there were about 200 entries in the register since July 1. The one guy we saw at Kennedy saddle wasn't climbing and saw no one else all day. Different opinions on how difficult it is.The last 2 miles are steep gaining about 2300 feet on sections of loose scree with some class 2 scrambling. I would definitely take poles. No water, so take enough! In my opinion, last 2 miles is more strenuous/harder than Mount Borah(except chicken out ridge), Elbert,Whitney or Kings Peak(recognizing latter 2 being more tiring, because they're a lot longer hikes). But I'm 65, although I think in pretty good shape. Spectacular view from the top!! Have pretty good cell service from Trail Canyon saddle to the summit. From Queens mine to the summit is about 5 miles and 4150 feet elevation. We made the summit in four hours and down in 3 1/2. Good luck and have fun! Keep climbing!

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Aug 16, 2017 No snow anywhere on the mountain. The road leading up to the trailhead is more suited for 4wd cars but 2wd can get up a fair way. Still 4wd would be best.

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Highest point in the greatest state. Gets steep, gets loose, sketchy at times, but you earn your summit!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Not lying about a few steep parts. Wear your boots. Great high point and majestic views await at the top

Sunday, February 09, 2014

Hiked this one in 2011 in February. Great hike and even better views. Steep portions of trail, with a little scree climbing near the summit, but well worth the trip.

Friday, March 08, 2013

One of my favorite highpoint hikes. The trail had some pretty steep portions, but as you can see from our photos, well worth the effort. The 6 mile roundtrip hike took us 5 hours to do with the 4000 plus feet of elevation gain. The trailhead takes a little time to locate.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018