Learn more

Boundary Peak - Nevada Highpoint is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Dyer, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.0 mi Elevation gain 4,215 ft Route type Out & Back
Dogs on leash Hiking Nature trips Views Wild flowers Wildlife Rocky Scramble No shade
Description

Photos (77)
Recordings (23)
Completed (89)
craig bouchie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 27, 2020
View craig's Recording
Jonathan DeLosier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
HikingNo shade

There are two trails to Boundary Peak: Queen Canyon Trailhead and Trail Canyon/ Boundary Peak Trailhead. • Trail maps: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3819648.pdf • I chose to go to Queen Canyon Trailhead. • 4 hours to ascend. 3 hours to descend. • I drive a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 for reference. • I had no signal anywhere. Make sure to have all the information you need for trails, driving routes, etc. prior. Vehicle Approach to Queen Canyon Trailhead: • Do NOT recommend approaching from the north on Queen Canyon Rd. via US 6. • The road is mandatory 4x4 before you get to Queen Mine, 1.2 miles from trailhead. One of the worst parts of the road, a rutted area with large sharp rocks is before Queen Mine. • The overgrowth on this route scratched my car badly enough that it will need to be buffed out. • The final push from Queen Mine is extremely rough and high-clearance is recommended. • If using Google Maps you will need to search for “Queen Canyon Trailhead.” Queen Canyon Trailhead • There is a nice flat area here to park and wilderness camp. • The trail is easily identifiable and straightforward until you get closer to the peak. • From what I have read, this seems to be a much easier hike to the point where the two trails meet at the Trail Canyon Saddle. • Detailed information for Queen Canyon Trail I found useful can be found at: http://www.willhiteweb.com/state_highpoint/boundary_peak/nevada_063.htm Vehicle Descent from Queen Canyon Trailhead: • I chose to exit south on Queen Canyon Rd. to meet Trail Canyon Rd. • The .5 mile from the trailhead is mandatory 4x4 high clearance. I hit my skid plate more times than I can count going down the steep and rough road. I can imagine going up it would prove to be difficult. • After you pass the initial .5 mile the road is 4x4 recommended but not bad. Queen Canyon Rd. runs directly into Trail Canyon Rd. • I used the following directions to find my way to NV 264: www.summitpost.org/boundary-peak-nevada/150452 • These directions are written for anyone wanting to get to the Trail Canyon/ Boundary Peak Trailhead. If you want to approach Queen Canyon Trailhead from this direction, you would turn right on Queen Canyon Rd. (unmarked) about .8 miles after Trail Canyon Reservoir. • There are some wilderness camp areas near this junction on Queen Canyon Rd. as well as a pull off into sand for a single vehicle on the right side (going north) about .5 to .7 miles from the Queen Canyon Trailhead if you wanted to hike the last .5 mile and not drive the worst part. Trail Canyon Road: • Mandatory high clearance. There are some larger rocks in the road and rutted areas. Hesitant to say that I don’t think 4x4 is mandatory but it would make it easier in case anything happens to the roads. Trail Canyon/ Boundary Peak Trailhead • I have seen this trailhead called both names. • Google Maps will take you near the trailhead but has you turn on Queen Canyon Rd. Do not turn, keep going straight until you run directly into the trailhead. • Waze will take you directly to the trailhead. • I did not hike from this direction so I cannot provide information on the trail. • There is wilderness camping at the trailhead, at the Queen Canyon Rd. junction, and the Trail Canyon Reservoir from what I saw.

Caitlin Schneider
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020

Brutal but worth it!

View Caitlin's Recording
Sarah Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2020
Hiking

Some places at the beginning and end of the trail were hard to find the trail. The entire hike was beautiful. Very hard but well worth it.

View Sarah 's Recording
andrew bassak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble
View andrew's Recording
Alexander Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Boundary Peak, Nevada, 13,147 feet Distance: 11.7 miles (round trip) Feet: 3,750 feet of climbing Duration: Approximately 7 hours Difficulty: 7/10 Well first, it needs to be said finding the base of Boundary is a challenge. You are WAY out there in rural Nevada, and things aren't exactly marked very well. Do not expect phone navigation or All Trails to work and get you to the base. We were coming on Route 264 traveling from East to West. We made the mistake of taking the dirt road that looked like it would lead more directly to Boundary: do not do this. I have read that this is a longer version of the hike, but you will need a VERY durable vehicle. Our Jeep Compass almost got stuck on a boulder protruding from the ground. Take the second option which was flanked by a water tower. There are two entrances that lead back to the base. That little excursion cost us about two additional hours (and a lot of rapid heartbeats thinking we were stranded in rural Nevada.) It is slow going once you're in the dirt and gravel roads. This route will also take you to a proper trailhead which should alleviate a lot on anxiety about where in the world you are. We camped a little ways back up the trail that night by Trail Canyon Reservoir. There was plenty of space and we didn't see anyone else until we got a bit closer to the trailhead. We left early and although it was Nevada on July 3rd, it was chilly at 6 am. It gets light around 5 am out there, so if you want you can set sail early. Just be prepared to either be cold until the sun gets a little higher or to shed a few layers. You can't really get lost at the start of the hike as the trail is pretty well defined. The thing that you may feel if you aren't local is the altitude. We are both from back east, so the 9,000 feet we started at wore on us. That said, after a while we seemed to get used to it and hit our stride. Where you can begin to get lost (as others have said, there isn't a well marked trail) is once you cross the river and get into the scree field. It doesn't really matter if you stay on the trail here, as long as you get to the base of the mountain. If you really want to stay on the trail, stay mostly right towards the hill flanking the base. Once you get to the base, there is no mistaking where you are headed. There seem to be two strategies to get up the mountain: the intelligent one and the foolish one. We chose the latter, but I highly recommend the rational path which heads FAR right. As you are heading up, expect a lot of climbing in the sand. It's a huge pain in the ass and makes life much harder than it should be. Finding solid footing anywhere is a blessing, but it never lasts long. Not only did we not take the rational path, but we also made life harder on ourselves by veering left of the ridge we wanted to stay on. We had our fair share of scrambling and bouldering because of this. I think we would have been able to make it up the correct route in about 3–4 hours, but our detour took us into hour five. The traditional route isn't much scrambling until you get to the top, which is a decent amount of rock formations to go over and around. All told with our detour we took 5 hours to summit, which had us topping out around 11am. The weather at the top was predictably chilly and windy but manageable. We signed our names in the box that is left for the other highpointers. The hike down was annoying as we had to trip back to our previous route to grab a few items we left. Then once back in the scree, we didn't find the trail soon enough and ended up too far to the left of the stream. On the way back, stick to the stream or else you'll find yourself annoyed you are off course. All told the highpoint was awesome and one helluva adventure. I have to imagine that we would have lowered the difficulty had we stuck to the trail. We are relatively fit, but so far it was the hardest high point! More to come.

Richard Dean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

tough trail. alltrails brings you up a scree field. instead of turning left at the bowl, just keep walking straight, you will go up through the pines to the saddle, turn left and follow that trail up. still tough, but the bowl is just hard.

View Richard's Recording
Noah Carson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
Hiking

Climbed Boundary Peak yesterday. The trail disappears once you get on the face of the mountain so you can either climb up the snow or the scree fields. Still a good amount of snow and the summit is covered in snow. I wore micro spikes which were helpful, and would have liked my ice axe going around the big boulder before the summit. Awesome view from the summit.

Jason Arden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 27, 2019

Climbed in September, quite a bit of work getting to the trailhead, definitely need a 4x4. Fairly easy climb and beautiful views, a lot of exposure so be prepared for elements. Rocky trail to the summit but easy to see. at the ridge there is a small wind stop made from trees and rocks that can accommodate 1 tent. It gets very windy so make sure to stake down your tent.

Jan Komrska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2019
HikingOver grownScramble

This is not a typical hike on a clearly marked trail - but it is worthwhile! The trail is overgrown (long pants are highly recommended) and it disappears in the shrub and reappears again. Similarly, on the final approach there are multiple options (requiring rock scrambling) which makes it fun. The trail is very lightly trafficked (compared to other state highpoints) - I haven't seen anyone all day long. I hiked from the Canyon Trail Trailhead approaching via Chiatovich Creek (the trailhead is not marked on Google maps for now, but can be seen on a satellite image). It took me 5 hours to summit (through the wash among the bristlecones and the saddle) and 2 hours to descent (down the scree). The views from the summit are amazing!

Victor Borowsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2019
HikingOff trailRockyScrambleSnow

Did the Canyon Trail. Much harder than expected. Have done plenty of hiking over the years, and this one was a challenge. We summited in early October and happened to catch the first snow of the season the night before the hike. Given how poorly the trail is marked, this added serious insult to injury. We lost the trail multiple times on the way up to the saddle, and eventually just fought our way through a beautiful bristlecone pine forest with a few inches of snow that had not been forecast. At the saddle, picked the trail back up for an hour or so, then lost it and scrambled most of the rest of the way up. We only saw three other people all day, so we couldn’t even use others to help guide. The views on the way up and at the summit are amazing, and felt a real sense of achievement when I completed it, but will not be trying this one again.

View Victor's Recording
Keegan Greene
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2019
HikingMuddyNo shadeOver grownRockyScrambleSnow

6/11/19 Canyon trail No real trail to speak of, go up the sagebrush valley(stay on the far right or far left) turn left at the saddle and follow the mountain on the right. The scree field is tough and covered with snow most of the way up. At the top of the ridge was more then waist deep snow that prevented us from reaching the summit (so close). The saddle trail back was covered in thick snow so we went back the way we came up, it was great as we just sled on our backsides to the bottom of the scree field on the snow covered part (saved hours). Will try again some day...

Boomer S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2018
Hiking

I hiked the Queen Mine trail after completing White Mountain earlier in the day. I was hoping to get to Montgomery Peak and check that off also but by the time I got to the summit the sun had set and didn't want to risk it. Descending in the dark was slow because I had to frequently check my GPS to ensure I was still on course. I do not recommend trying to hike here in the dark. Overall, a good high point peak.

Shannon Cooley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2018
Hiking

I got perfect weather and summited 8/17/2018 via Queen's Mine in about 10 hours. The road up to the first parking area was drivable with AWD/4WD as I saw a Subaru Impreza in addition to my Ford Expedition, but 2WD vehicles likely won't make it up under current conditions (looks like they've gotten some rain recently). The final mile drive up to the second parking area wasn't easily doable with my Expedition so I gave that up and walked it. While I'm in ok shape for a guy with a desk job, I live in PA and am by no means a high altitude hiker. If you're in a similar position, I would rate this hike as difficult but doable provided you take it slow like I did. One word of caution is to don't get overzealous and make sure you're minding your elevation gain rate. I gained the second parking area and saddle much too quickly and started feeling a little sick. Resting, rehydrating, and eating a snack at the saddle for about 30 minutes did the trick and I was able to complete the hike but I don't think I would've needed such a long stop if I had been more careful on the way up. As many have mentioned, the scree can be a real PITA but slow and steady wins the race. Not many folks hike this peak so you're likely to be alone which presents some additional risk, so be careful. All in all, great hike up to the Nevada state highpoint!

Ricky Fell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2018

We did the via trail canyon. Did not want to mess with queens mine road as I could not get solid information on it. Multiple people had different takes on the road. Also wanted a harder hike. We gone two different ways up boundary from trail canyon. first time was up the scree slope (I would never recommend that to my worst enemy), it is sandy granite and straight up. Two steps forward and you slide back one step. Thankfully our second time we found the turn off the scree trail to meet up with the trail junction. So much easier that ascent than the scree. We did a brief count at the summit log book and only seen about 200 people signed in the past couple years. A lot of people must not reach the summit considering a comment at queens mine trail log stated 200 since July. Both times we have been there were saturdays and not one person on the mountian. Bring car battery jumper, last you want is to be 17 miles from a "highway" with no cell reception and a dead car battery.

Ashlee Allen Beutler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2018
Hiking

We hiked the Queen Canyon Trail head. The road had some scarier parts because it rained that day and parts were washed out. It was fine in our truck but still a little scary at night. Even five miles prior to the trail head there were big washouts that would be questionable to pass without a high clearance vehicle. I really enjoyed the Queen Canyon route we chose and thought it was great, but I don't know how the other trial is. The first part is steep but fine. Then it gets flat for over a mile. It's a nice break from thee steep. Then the second steep part was the toughest. I'm SO glad we brought trekking poles. It got really steep and these helped with balance. It made it better to get up. After this steep part it got a little more flat. Then the last steep part was the summit. I thought this part wasn't as bad as the previous steep part. Some people mentioned the scree being bad, but we felt most of the hike we had sure footings and we were in running shoes. A lot of reviews said they struggled to see the trail. This wasn't our case at all. It was easy to follow and not get lost. I'm not an avid hiker, but I'm fit. It took three hours to get up and two to get down. We jogged the flat part on the way down. I did feel like we had a faster pace than average and didn't take any breaks.

Charlie Lockwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2018

Be prepared to scramble up DG for a while. Great views but a brutal ascent.

Michael Swann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2018
Todd Burt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2017
Hiking

Great hike! Spectacular view! Don't plan on doing it again!! Hiked with my daughter on Tuesday 8/29/2017. Used the Queen mine trailhead, rather than Trail Canyon after reading different reviews. Stoped at the forest service headquarters in Bishop for an update on the Queen mine road, but they were of no help. The turn off for Queen mine is 9 miles out of Benton with a old water tank that has JR written on it on the opposite side of the road. Queen mine is 6.2 from the turn off. The last 4 miles are rutted and rough, but my 4Runner had no problem. Didn't try to make the next 1.25 mile to Kennedy saddle, because I was uncertain about road conditions. When we hiked to the saddle, a guy in a Subaru was parked there. Certainly, can make this section in 4WD, but is more difficult on a steep hillside and might depend on drivers ability and comfort. Really like mountain forecast website who predicted rain that morning. Fortunately, forecast was wrong and had a perfect day with some cloud cover, intermittent sunshine and no rain. Trail description accurately described on multiple blogs. There's a trail head register just above Kennedy saddle put in by Highpointers.org. This is a relative lightly trafficked trail, although I was surprised there were about 200 entries in the register since July 1. The one guy we saw at Kennedy saddle wasn't climbing and saw no one else all day. Different opinions on how difficult it is.The last 2 miles are steep gaining about 2300 feet on sections of loose scree with some class 2 scrambling. I would definitely take poles. No water, so take enough! In my opinion, last 2 miles is more strenuous/harder than Mount Borah(except chicken out ridge), Elbert,Whitney or Kings Peak(recognizing latter 2 being more tiring, because they're a lot longer hikes). But I'm 65, although I think in pretty good shape. Spectacular view from the top!! Have pretty good cell service from Trail Canyon saddle to the summit. From Queens mine to the summit is about 5 miles and 4150 feet elevation. We made the summit in four hours and down in 3 1/2. Good luck and have fun! Keep climbing!