Blue Diamond Hill Trail

Blue Diamond Hill Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Started from the Cowboy Trail Rides side. Nice leg burn up through Caren Canyon to Muffin Ridge. Great views of the Strip for about a half mile along the ridge to the BDH peak. The descent down leads to multiple trails that connect to Boneshaker and ultimately back down through Fossil Ridge to the parking lot.

Great hike and a perfect day to do this open spaces hike. No water. In any of the creeks. Beautiful vistas and unexpected views of Vegas at the top.

this area has several trails that vary in length and difficulty. Many of the trails can be linked together to create loops

Excellent area to mountain bike ride. Large enough area with beginner to expert trails. My first time riding the trails was a little scary not knowing where I was going but I've been coming up here 3 times a month for over year now and I ride the trails from Blue Diamond to the extreme south late night parking looking for more to venture.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

This trail is very very easy to get lost on. It is poorly marked. There are multiple trails that you can get distracted from and lost on.

Saturday, April 01, 2017

a great hike today...except for the hail! got a little turned around on a dead end trail but got back in action after backtracking it!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Great mountain biking trail went midmorning in July brought plenty of fluids

Sunday, April 03, 2016

There are many hiking trails in this area and you can easily lose track of the one you are on but if you have 3-4 hours to wander and explore, it's great! We decided to be adventurous and take the Bone Shaker trail which is rated as extreme and it was nerve wracking with all of the loose gravel so I do not recommend it as a hike unless you have strong ankles and excellent shoes!

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Beautiful views, absolutely stunning. However, I advise extreme caution hiking this trail. We started hiking from the horse ranch instead of the front entrance, heading up through a canyon. Made it within about 2 miles of Blue Diamond Hill and the Vegas overlook, to an area that appears to be excavated. We decided to turn back since it was getting late in the day. En route back to the trailhead, it became clear that there were multiple different trails that forked off in various directions towards the highway, but it was in NO way obvious which trail we had came up via, and there were no trail markings whatsoever. We ended up on a trail that led us down a high ridge, instead of the canyon we had came up through. It appeared to be an alternate route. We came within sight of the parking lot, but realized we were on a 500 foot cliff and there was no way down. We double backed towards the way we came and trekked uphill in search of the fork we had missed. At this point, the sun was setting and we were low on water... Things started to get scary. We attempted to call 911 but there was no signal. We eventually made it back to our point of deviation, and started hauling ass. As we got closer, more unmarked forks in the trail appeared, it was starting to get seriously dark, and we were thoroughly disoriented. I was on the phone with 911 dispatch at this point, as I was positive we'd need to be airlifted out or die of hypothermia. With our cell batteries dwindling, we shined our flashlight app at the trail and managed to hump it back to the car in near pitch darkness. On the road back to Vegas, my phone started blowing up with calls and texts from Search & Rescue, to which I replied we were okay and made it out.

In reflection, this was a learning experience. Be very careful on remote backcountry hikes. Start early, take way more water than necessary, landmark all of the trail forks with objects, pack a high power flashlight. Don't become a statistic, I almost did.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Great hike, great view. Part's steep and rocky. The length was 8 1/3 miles not 6.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Great trail system for visitors to LV. Mcghies bike shop outpost offers rentals, maps and guides (we rode with guide Bobby, who was wonderful). We rode primarily moderate trials which still had plenty of technical sections, but spared us from some of the more difficult climbs. We rode 2 days, one of which was in a light rain. We enjoyed both trips and learned many of the local riders prefer slightly wet conditions. There are beautiful sandstone mountain views, desert views and lots of wildlife. If you are a cyclist visiting LV this is a 'must do'!!!

Saturday, October 13, 2012

So far my favorite near Las Vegas !

Friday, November 04, 2011

This is a heat trail. Plenty of challenging areas, and multiple trails. Go with some who knows the trails. There is McGhies bike shop in Blue Diamond which is a great meeting place.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017