Big Falls Trail

Big Falls Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Charleston, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I think I found this by accident haha.. I was hiking towards mjf and I stopped at a tan chopped down tree to rest a second. Instead of heading up right I went straight leftish and found a dried up creek and rocks to climb, and I had so much fun. No one was on the trail and I felt kinda lost but it was so much fun. I'd do it again

Nice easy hike with some obstacles and a nice payoff. It's off of official the maps, too, so it's a little less crowded than MJF.

Nice hike along a not very well marked trail. Thank you to whoever put up the pink ties! Just keep heading up the wash and you'll find the falls one way or another. The "Ladder" is a few trees leaned up against a bolder but there's a path to the left of it that's easier. Hiked on 6/15 and the waterfall is completely dried up - not a drop. But the mountain view at the falls is nice. Hike took exactly 3hrs for a few 30 year olds who don't hike often but are in good shape. It felt like an accomplishment but too not strenuous. A few places require your hands. Download these instructions which were helpful: http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/Mt_Char/Big_Falls/_Big_Falls.htm

I agree with Ana’s review. Not a moderate hike, boots are a must and you need two hands so water pack a must too.

An obstacle course to get to the waterfall. Hiking boots is a must.
Upper & lower body strength is needed. I don’t consider this to be a moderate hike.

I love this trail! It's a little hard to find but well worth the effort. I madw my own way through the creek bed. The best way to find it is follow the Mary Jane Trail until it bends to the right. Walk to your left down into the creek bed and you're on it. The creek bed will take you all the way. Lots of boulders and felled trees. There's a boulder you will have to climb a bunch of logs to get up. I uploaded a photo. Very exciting hike with lots scrambling. You will definitely need a good pair of hiking boots for this one.

Awesome

Fun hike since it's off the beaten path. Take Mary Jane Falls till it starts vexing to the right and go off to the Left. We kinda made our own trail up there, Lots of rock scrambling.

Loved it will need to be mobile it involves a lot of walking over rocks and boulders and fallen trees make sure you were appropriate shoes since some areas are slippery even when dry weather is present. Also there is an alternate path on the left side of the rope ladder kinda steep incline keep left and you'll come around to the falls area also to let you know your going to enter this trail just you would to Mary Jane falls but keep left you'll notice the trail but it diffidently is off the well traveled path good luck all and have fun be safe

This hike is the perfect hike if you're seeking solitude, even on a weekend. You scramble right through the wash and it requires some careful navigating, but the wash is easy to follow. You eventually reach a boulder with a rope ladder to climb up, as it becomes impassible. You can opt to climb out of the wash on either side but it is loose gravel and very steep. Just after this point the falls will come into view. I would recommend doing this with a friend just because of the terrain involved toward the end. Would go back for sure!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

loved it once I found it

Monday, August 07, 2017

Somewhat off path trail, climbing over boulders and fallen trees, the falls at the end is refreshing and worth the hike. You definitely need hiking shoes with good traction for this trail, as it may be slippery.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Monday, July 24, 2017

Fun and moderately challenging hike that is off the beaten path and AWAY from all the crowds going up to Mary Jane Falls. It's the middle of July and water is still flowing at Big Falls. It started raining pretty hard once we arrived which made the trip going down a bit more treacherous as the rocks became pretty slick. Worth the challenge and I'm glad I did it.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Awesome hike, fun & a little challenging with a beautiful waterfall at the end! Loved it

Saturday, July 22, 2017

This trail was just right for a morning hike, with a great balance of everything. I love scrambling, and with the river bed and boulders, downed trees, a mixture of shade and sun, it pretty much all the right spots for everything I like condensed into one short hike with a nice little (tall) waterfall at the end as a reward. If taking dogs on this hike, I would only take little ones that you could carry/lift over certain spots, or moderately athletic dogs. Also good for active kids - but if you aren't wearing shoes with good grip, be careful because the boulders are more slippery (even when dry) than they look.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

This is rather hard as it's all rocks. My partner didn't want to finish it as we did the other trail already and he was getting irritated by the climbing over river style rocks. I really liked it though as there was nobody around, there is somewhat of a trail so it's not like you get lost, it's adventurous. Sad I didn't see the waterfall:(

Monday, July 17, 2017

Nice and easy, enjoyable hike. Water was still flowing in mid-July.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hiked in both sun and shade. Follow the dry creek bed - no marked path. Lots of boulders and downed trees to traverse. Started at 7:30a and once we were in the sun, it was already hot. Worth the hike - Big Falls had plenty of water today.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

What a spectacular hike. It was absolutely beautiful beneath the towering canyon walls, along the babbling water, and then in the waterfall spray that felt so refreshing. This trail, or lack there of, was difficult to follow. You need to stay left toward the canyon wall and then boulder hop up the dry riverbed. Once the water appeared, the waterfall getting close. The waterfall will be past a bend and on the left. It was a three hour round trip.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great day hike with beautiful views! Just stay on the dry creek bed and you'll run right in to the falls. Awesome!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Big Falls trail start was hard to find. No trail head marker/sign.The trail is the river bed with partial trails on both sides. Since I had problems I took the Mary Jane falls to the top and cut over to the Big Falls trail at the bottom of the hill. Big falls is beautiful and there is still a couple of feet of snow at the base of the falls. Take a jacket. The 85 degree temperature at the base might fool you! Why not see two waterfalls in one day? Mary Jane falls does not compare with Big Falls

Sunday, June 04, 2017

The reward is worth the climb!