Baker Lake Trail

Baker Lake Trail is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Baker, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

I took my 7 year old son here for his first backpacking trip! We went in mid June and there were lots of creeks , so we stopped frequently to dip our heads in to cool off. Tons of flowers and green aspen at this time of year. There were some snow drifts near the top and trees that had blown down across the trail, but we didn't have any problems with that. I tracked the trail with my GPS and it said we went 7.3 miles one way! I have backpacked a lot, and I thought that this was a much longer trail than 5.2 miles one way. So just a heads up on expecting a few miles longer. With my son it took 5 and a half hours to get there and 4 hrs to get back. He was a trooper and we made it. Once we got to the lake we set up camp to the left. We weren't able to go to the far side of the lake as there were others already camped there. Our spot was beautiful. But the ground is rocky, so be prepared with a nice sleeping pad!! Finding a good flat spot where we were was a little challenging. The temperature got down to mid 30's but we weren't cold as we dressed accordingly. The stars are amazing!!! The cliffs are very unstable that surround the lake, don't attempt to climb them!! So about every half hour big boulders were falling and rolling down the cliffs. One boulder was so loud that it woke us up in the middle of the night, which frightened my son. We were sleeping well away from the cliffs, but just a heads up! All in all it was worth the trip and I was very proud of my son for making the trek!! I highly recommend this lake!

The trail to the lake is garnished by aspens and vegetation along the creek. The creek in many areas is pleasant to see and hear. The backdrop of the mountains surrounding the lake are awe inspiring but I felt the lake was small and it was in fact a long walk but worth the reward.

Five stars because this is a wonderfully constructed and maintained trail that leads to a beautiful lake. It starts at the Baker Creek trailhead, which is 3.6 miles up a gravel road off the road to the Lehman Cave Visitor Center. There are two trails, with the one on the right signed as the way to Baker Lake and the one on the left signed for the way to Johnson Lake. But they both connect up, so you could take either side to Baker Lake. You can get a good map from the Great Basin NP visitor center. The one on the right is probably the better choice, as it is less steep and does not require climbing over a ridge that just adds to the effort. As others have said, the trail is long, but the elevation gain is gradual enough that you don't feel stressed. There is a trail at the top that connects to Johnson Lake. It is marked by cairns and red tags on the trees and seems easy to follow, but I turned back after .5 miles due to fierce winds. So I came down the way I went up. There was some snow here and there, but none on the trail. The hike is almost entirely through the trees, so there aren't many breathtaking vistas, and today, at least, it was pretty cold.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Trail head has a bathroom
Parking is hard dirt

Trail very well maintained
Lost of water crossing when we went.
Trail easily mark
Lots of places to collect water
At the lake we camp left but would of been better on right.
No open wood fires. Only gas operated.
Went fishing, cause a lot. “Catch and release”

Tent camp
You can hang hammocks
Used bathroom 200somthing ish feet away from water and trail.
It was cold and windy at night.

Osprey 65 atoms

Instagram
@rheyvision
@legionost

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great trail for a long day hike or overnight back pack trip. Trail is a steady climb to the lake with views of Baker creek, pine forest, open meadows and finally Baker Lake. This was July so temperatures at the TH were in the 90s with lows at the lake around 50. There was still many places that had snow pack around the lake. If camping at the lake suggest you turn right and traverse over the rocks and dead trees about 1/4 mile. Several sites and great views. I would rate the trail as moderate mainly because of the continuous elevation climb, the distance and the rocky trail conditions.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

While this hike is rated as difficult, I would say it's actually moderate. It's a great hike for a new backpacker because the effort/reward ratio is really high. The cirque at Baker Lake is beautiful and, other than the fact that it's too high in elevation for a campfire, it might be one of the best campsites in the country.

Friday, August 11, 2017