Scotts Bluff National Monument Trail

Scotts Bluff National Monument Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mitchell, Nebraska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

historic site

Excellent hike from the visitor's center to the top of Scott's Bluff.

Great history. Great hike. Incline with switchbacks is doable by most.

Trail is now opened!

Trail closed midway but hiked all parts allowed. Good views! Wear sunscreen. :)

Other trails are closed at various points due to rock slides, so...we hiked the vehicle access road after park hours with ranger permission. Greats views, rattle snakes and deer. Good trek, worth the wait for the park to close for the night.

Beautiful area, but the trail is closed halfway up due to a rockslide

Very beautiful area,. Great history and great views.

Monday, August 22, 2016

A good hike to the top. Good trail, the kids ran most of the way

Monday, February 01, 2016

Beautiful landmark of the Oregon Trail. Nice easy hike we took on a road trip to stretch our legs. Beautiful wild flowers!

Sunday, August 23, 2015

I went out to west Nebraska this spring, May 2015; had a wonderful trip seeing 12 state parks in 5 days. I walked a portion of the trail at Scotts Bluff National Monument. It's part of the Oregon Trail traveled by the pioneers. It was great; I loved seeing all the beauty around me. The weather was perfect. I drove up through the tunnel and great view from the top. I would like to go back some day and see it again.

Monday, October 06, 2014

Really great hike up to the top of Scott's Bluff from the visitor's center. One of my favorite short day hikes I've ever done.

Monday, September 01, 2014

We hiked to the top and took the NPS shuttle down. Very well maintained, paved trail. Great view of the city of Gering below, mountains to the west. Not only was the trail a lot of fun, the site itself has wonderful and very knowledgeable staff.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Nice visitor center with lots of displays and information about the Oregon Trail. Also great photo op with covered wagons in front of the bluff near center. We drove to the top and hiked to the South Overlook and the North Overlook. Both were nice views and short trails.

scenic driving
Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A landmark on the Oregan Trail. Great for history buffs. A graded road climbs to the top of the bluffs.