Neale Woods Nature Center Trails

Neale Woods Nature Center Trails is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Omaha, Nebraska that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

this forest is run by fontenelle and if you're a member with them admission is free. it's beautiful and wasnt crowded when I was there, but its completely infested with ticks! dogs technically aren't allowed but the staff was fine with me bringing mine in "if I paid for admission". maybe they're not getting much business or people are going on the trails without paying? either way, after the 3 dozen ticks I pulled off myself and my 2 dogs I dont think I'll be going back this year.

Most trails are currently closed for control burn. Not well marked, but easy to navigate.

private property

I'm always challenged here be it in fall, winter, summer and spring.

In the fall, the terrain was fairly technical, as there were a lot of fallen branches and the roots were covered by leaves. I ran this loop clockwise then counter clockwise. There are a couple very steep hills. The two loops took me about an hour at a 12 min/mile pace and I totalled about 1000 ft of elevation gain. Wasn't buggy at all in October. Will definitely be back!

I disagree about the trail being easy as well. There are a lot more trails in here than the 2.7 mile loop mentioned. I've been hiking Neale Woods for over a decade and it remains one of my favorite spots. It's quiet, peaceful, and beautiful. There are numerous trails ranging from easy to difficult. You can get a trail map (of which there have been changes over the past year) by following this link: http://fontenelle.flywheelsites.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/NWTrailMap.pdf

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Great, secluded place to hike close to the city. Just don’t forget to douse yourself in bug spray! This hike is listed as easy, but I disagree. Much of the hike is in and out of ravines, which means a good deal of hiking uphill. I went in the late afternoon on a Saturday, and saw deer and turkeys. There were only a few other cars in the lot when I arrived so the trails are not busy. I enjoyed the solitude as I only crossed paths with one other hiker. I would think this might be a difficult hike for toddlers and it is not at all fit for strollers. The trails are decently maintained and I will definitely hike here again!

Monday, July 02, 2018

I always enjoy hiking at Neale Woods! The trails were pretty well maintained for the most part, well labeled, and there are maps available at the front entrance. The views of downtown Omaha at the beginning are amazing. Worth coming just to see, even if you don’t hike. But there are also some really pretty trails through the prairie, the woods, and on a hilltop. The hike can be easy or more challenging, depending on what trails you take. The recording on here only has like 2 miles, but I did almost 5 when I went, and I definitely could have done more. There’s got to be at least 8 miles of trails if not more. I like this hike because it’s only a 20 min drive from Omaha, but is completely secluded! Definitely recommend if you’re in the area.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Pretty annoyed that I drove all the way out here just to see a “no pets allowed on property”. Turned around and left without getting out of the car

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Good little hike in the Omaha area. Took us about an hour walking at a slow to moderate pace. Great views of downtown Omaha at the beginning. Trail was pretty well kept for the most part. The forest you walk through is also really nice. Only complaint was the amount of bugs, but that should be expected when walking through a forest in the Spring/Summer. So don't forget to bring the DEET!

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

My favorite place to hike in the omaha area

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Great view of Omaha cityscape!

Thursday, March 09, 2017

We hear too many gunshots and there is not rangers anywhere! And that's kind of scary!

Thursday, July 23, 2015