MoPac Trail: Springfield to South Bend

MoPac Trail: Springfield to South Bend is a 11.6 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Springfield, Nebraska that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The MoPac Trail in Springfield, Nebraska is an integral component of what is planned to be a more than 50-mile recreational trail between Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska's two largest cities.

Great trail! Peaceful. Mostly shaded. Parked across from soccer field. First 1 1/2 is road and goes through the fairgrounds then crosses over onto crushed gravel and gravel. I have used the trail twice this year and will continue to use it even though it’s a 20 minute trip from my home in Omaha.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

I took my dog for a walk. The trail is completely flat. It's gravel. The first 3 miles have great shade/tree coverage. I can't wait to go back and trail run and bike this one. Parking is a bit tricky, but I just parked across from the park in Springfield and picked up the trail.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

I started my journey on the MoPac Springfield Trail in Springfield itself. There is a dedicated parking lot to the south of the Springfield Soccer Complex on Platteview Road, just east of 144th Street. I first took the trail north 3.1 miles where it dead-ended at Schram Road. With the exception of about a half mile of paved track near the Soccer Complex, the entire trail is crushed gravel and rock, a fairly easy ride. From the north end, I traveled south to the Platte River (Louisville), then back north again to Springfield, where I parked. I'm excited for the completion of this trail so one can go all the way from Omaha to Lincoln on a single trek. There were nice views on this trail, including rolling fields and a river. The trail doesn't completely go through Springfield, so I just rode on the streets heading south until I met up with it again. One can easily figure it out by looking at a map, or even just guessing.

Sunday, August 06, 2017