MoPac Trail

MoPac Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Springfield, Nebraska that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The MoPac Trail in Springfield, Nebraska is an integral component of what is planned to be a more than 50-mile recreational trail between Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska's two largest cities.

I took my dog for a walk. The trail is completely flat. It's gravel. The first 3 miles have great shade/tree coverage. I can't wait to go back and trail run and bike this one. Parking is a bit tricky, but I just parked across from the park in Springfield and picked up the trail.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

I started my journey on the MoPac Springfield Trail in Springfield itself. There is a dedicated parking lot to the south of the Springfield Soccer Complex on Platteview Road, just east of 144th Street. I first took the trail north 3.1 miles where it dead-ended at Schram Road. With the exception of about a half mile of paved track near the Soccer Complex, the entire trail is crushed gravel and rock, a fairly easy ride. From the north end, I traveled south to the Platte River (Louisville), then back north again to Springfield, where I parked. I'm excited for the completion of this trail so one can go all the way from Omaha to Lincoln on a single trek. There were nice views on this trail, including rolling fields and a river. The trail doesn't completely go through Springfield, so I just rode on the streets heading south until I met up with it again. One can easily figure it out by looking at a map, or even just guessing.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016