Indian Cave Trail

Indian Cave Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Falls City, Nebraska that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Indian Cave SP adjoins the Missouri river with high bluffs and rolling hills covered with timber and small meadows. The trails range from 1/2 mile to seven miles. A number of trails are interlaced so a hiker can continue for many miles without having to go from trail head to trail head. Twenty miles of hiking trails from a half-mile to seven miles long meander through the hardwood forest. Most trails are moderate to strenuous. Primitive tent camping is permitted along hiking trails throughout the park. There are nine Adirondack shelters with fire rings. Twenty miles of hiking trails from a half-mile to seven miles long meander through the hardwood forest. Most trails are strenuous. Primitive tent camping is permitted along hiking trails throughout the park. There are nine Adirondack shelters with fire rings. Group campsites are available, including a horseback rider campground. A 131/2-mile trail is designated for horseback riding. Supervised horseback rides are held Friday through Sunday during the summer and on autumn weekends.

We enjoyed our first hike here and plan on coming back until we have hiked all the trails. After our hike we the kids loved seeing the horse's, the view and skipping rocks. a great FAMILY DAY!

My first time backpacking - it was great. The trails we did (trailheads 3, 2, and 7) were perfect for us - not too difficult but hard enough for an out-of-shape beginner to get a lot of enjoyment out of the whole experience. The storm that hit us overnight made the trails a tad more difficult to traverse and I loved it. Certainly will be making more trips here.

Great little hike. This was the busiest trail in that area, lots of families. Decent inclines and descents and beautiful views of the Mo River.

The weather was great so we decided to head out. There were some great views. I'd bone up on where you want to go first. There aren't many options for directions on the fly and depending on your carrier, cell services can be sporty. It's probably the best in this area of the state for topography. Expect some mud. Not a bad place for access to the Mighty Mo for fishing.

We camped on one of the loops and hiked during the day with our dogs. What you'll find here is a nice little park with a good variety of backpacking, RV or tent spots.

What you won't find here is anything as it is depicted on the park map. It is more "Picasso" and less "accurate." We drove a lap around the park to actually find the correct trailheads.

Trail 2 (history trail) is a good little loop with an outlook and a stop by the 100% racist "Halfbreed Cemetery." If you've got kids they'll probably dog the old timey candle maker and soap maker people. As we are complete assholes, that didn't interest us at all. The outlook is beautiful.

Trail 11 (nature trail?) is a legit death trap. It's a short, steep loop with a lot of fallen logs up to a decent view. It was a bit muddy, full of loose roots and we had our pups, so this is the only trail ever where the hike up is more fun than the hike down. Have fun spraining your ankle or, if you're graceful like moi, doing a fall/slide combo into a tree while your 15 lbs dog watches you like you're a fool. Glad I finished it, though.

I'd like to go back and do the high trails (7 and 3, I think?) and stay in a spot with a view.

It is so gorgeous nature mother for green!!! And interesting historic of Indian cave and oldest cemetery

Great!! High trails were best! The lower ones were very muddy and mosquitos were unbearable while wearing deet!! I look forward to throwing on the backpack this summer and spending the night!!

I took the number 11 trail way down by the cave. The trail was a little more than a muddy deer trail. It was steep and it was raining when I hiked so it was extremely slick. The "scenic view" at the top was bushed in and nothing special. Not worth your time. Try a different trail!

Thursday, March 24, 2016

I did a solo overnighter here over spring break, and had a wonderful time. I started at Trailhead 4, hiked a few miles to one of the Adirondack shelters, spent the night, and then the next morning, hiked the Lincoln Bend Wetland Trail and North Ridge Trail. It might have been even more enjoyable just a little bit later in the season, when more of the park is coming back to life, but that's a small thing really. The only other thing to say is that there are some trails that aren't marked on the map, and that can throw you off, but the park's small enough its no big deal. Overall, fantastic place, and I look forward to hiking it again.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

I hiked trail 5, 9, and 11 down to the cave. It was pretty soggy today and this is a long challenging hike. Full round it is about 8 miles. Beautiful day for hiking though!

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

I hiked this park last weekend on Trail #3 to the river and to some shelters on the ridge. Fantastic views and this place way exceeded my expectations. A really cool place. Some pics attached.

Friday, October 02, 2015

Nice state park with plenty of camp sites. Was impressed with primative camp sites. Nice hiking trails. Some could be marked better. Great for family camping and hiking. I will go back again.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

First time here. Enjoyed the hike but others are correct in that trails are poorly marked in most places and don't always match the map. It has been rainy but most of the trails are passable, over grown and have some downed trees. Many marked for no horse traffic still have had horses on them.