Indian Cave Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Falls City, Nebraska that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 393 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Indian Cave SP adjoins the Missouri river with high bluffs and rolling hills covered with timber and small meadows. The trails range from 1/2 mile to seven miles. A number of trails are interlaced so a hiker can continue for many miles without having to go from trail head to trail head. Primitive tent camping is permitted along hiking trails throughout the park. There are nine Adirondack shelters with fire rings. Group campsites are available, including a horseback rider campground. A 131/2-mile trail is designated for horseback riding. Supervised horseback rides are held Friday through Sunday during the summer and on autumn weekends.

1 hour ago

Be careful w ticks bring some bugs spray at all times and wear hats and long socks. Ticks are on the ground.

closed
fee

Hiked the trail with my wife, our daughter (5 yrs old), and our son (3yrs old). Cheap fee to enter the state park. The trail was a good pace for my wife and I, a bit hilly for our kids...but they made it the whole way through. There is a down hill slope in the woods that was washed out and muddy...rained a bit the day before and a bit on our hike. The kids had some trouble navigating there, so we had to help them out to avoid the mud and water run-off. The cave itself was closed, looked like from damage to the wooden walk way up to the viewing sight. The last end of the hike was on blacktop, which was great for the kids since the washed out area wore them out. Overall, nice little hike. Our kids enjoyed the adventure, and I'm sure they would have enjoyed it more without the mud.

Absolutely beautiful will be going back! Really wanted to see the cave but I’ll get in there next time!

Wonderful woodsy trails! Not for the faint of heart. Disappointed that the cave was closed due to flooding/water damage.

bridge out
closed

It was beautiful! Will be back as soon as the mesuems open!

Over all very well kept up. The stairs to the cave is still closed due to water. A few down trees that were freshly cut up and moved out of the way. Beautiful day and great hiking! No bugs, no mud unless close to the water.

Sat May 25 2019

Not worth it for me. Trail was impossible to find and almost not walkable. Not kid friendly.

Sat Apr 28 2018

picked a cold day to ride and somehow missed the south end of the trail. not well marked at south end or I was just too tired to see it! beautiful trail. didn't see a human for over 2 hours

Wed Mar 28 2018

I think we picked a bad time to go as everything has recently been burned so the scenery was black and uneventful. The Indian Cave trail says “Dogs on Leash” however once hiking through a bunch of bullllshit because the markers and directions are a little confusing you finally get to it and it says “No Pets”. When you put in the trail in AllTrails it takes you to Trailhead 9, I believe. You hiked a bunch of wooded area until you come to the top where there is a campground sight and field. We took trail 11 because that’s where everyone said the cave started at. PLEASE BE CAREFUL, when I read all the stuff that Trail 11 was a “death trap” I scoffed it off. It is a very steep, very small and not well maintained trail down a cliff side. At some points if you were to fall it would be close to deathly. We hiked after a rain so add this trail plus mud with some grip for your feet is was miserable. At one point we were on our asses scooting down. You get to the end of it and the cave is nowhere to be found. Let alone no signs. However it says it starts at trailhead 11. Low and behold you have to walk down the road along the river about a football field and there it is, the big beautiful red staircase which said “No Pets”. All in all, was not worth the 4 hour drive. If it was closer it definitely is worth it. The park is giant and when everything turns green it will be beautiful. Plus, you can’t beat spending 5 hours outdoors and not seeing a single soul. Just you, the dogs and nature.

Tue Feb 20 2018

We enjoyed backpacking here. Lots of up and down hills. It was muddy but the views were worth it.

Mon Nov 20 2017

We just hiked trails 9 and 10 today. It was a beautiful day and the trails were well maintained and marked. I think we had the most fun on trail 10 and it provided some great views of the park and the Missouri river basin for as far as the eye could see. Also, there are some great campsites tucked back in on the trail. We are definitely going to come back for a hike and overnight camp out there as soon as possible!

Tue Nov 14 2017

Trails are reasonably challenging and pretty well-kept, but not well marked. Asked for a map at the park entrance and was provided with a list (no map). The roadside maps are only vaguely accurate (e.g. there's a trail somewhere around here, good luck!). I went in late summer and bugs were a problem, but this is to be expected in Nebraska. By far the biggest disappointment was the "cave" itself. It's not really a cave, as it's only a few feet deep. The Indian carvings are laughable, as the walls of the cliff have not been even remotely protected from vandals over the decades.

Mon Nov 06 2017

We hiked up 8 then down 7. Definitely a steep hike up 8, but it was dry and early November so no bugs. Gorgeous view from the top totally recommend it!! Will do it again with better planning. Phone service was spotty so plan for that also.

Wed Oct 04 2017

wonderful trial with my family. a bit steep in some areas.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Began at Trail 9 and finished with Trail 11 and then hiked back along the River Road... made for a nice loop. Trail 9 was a good start as it has a long ascent up to the ridge, not too steep. Ending with Trail 11 was nice as we got to descend its steep steep trail. Trail generally well maintained but watch out for the stinging nettles hanging into the tight trail on 11.

Wed May 24 2017

multiple trail levels, lots of options. beautiful sceneries.

Tue May 09 2017

the waldo trekking fellowship spent the weekend in these bluffs. great time at the clean back woods sites...pack in-pack out rule has been observed, mostly. hammock and tent friendly. hills provided some challenge. 20 minutes unlaiden for water run. be aware of ticks. and beauty. TRISH seems to think she is important enough to epitaph herself umongst the petroglyphs. WTF?

Sat Apr 22 2017

We enjoyed our first hike here and plan on coming back until we have hiked all the trails. After our hike we the kids loved seeing the horse's, the view and skipping rocks. a great FAMILY DAY!

Wed Apr 19 2017

My first time backpacking - it was great. The trails we did (trailheads 3, 2, and 7) were perfect for us - not too difficult but hard enough for an out-of-shape beginner to get a lot of enjoyment out of the whole experience. The storm that hit us overnight made the trails a tad more difficult to traverse and I loved it. Certainly will be making more trips here.

Tue Apr 11 2017

Great little hike. This was the busiest trail in that area, lots of families. Decent inclines and descents and beautiful views of the Mo River.

Sun Feb 12 2017

The weather was great so we decided to head out. There were some great views. I'd bone up on where you want to go first. There aren't many options for directions on the fly and depending on your carrier, cell services can be sporty. It's probably the best in this area of the state for topography. Expect some mud. Not a bad place for access to the Mighty Mo for fishing.

Tue Sep 13 2016

We camped on one of the loops and hiked during the day with our dogs. What you'll find here is a nice little park with a good variety of backpacking, RV or tent spots. What you won't find here is anything as it is depicted on the park map. It is more "Picasso" and less "accurate." We drove a lap around the park to actually find the correct trailheads. Trail 2 (history trail) is a good little loop with an outlook and a stop by the 100% racist "Halfbreed Cemetery." If you've got kids they'll probably dog the old timey candle maker and soap maker people. As we are complete assholes, that didn't interest us at all. The outlook is beautiful. Trail 11 (nature trail?) is a legit death trap. It's a short, steep loop with a lot of fallen logs up to a decent view. It was a bit muddy, full of loose roots and we had our pups, so this is the only trail ever where the hike up is more fun than the hike down. Have fun spraining your ankle or, if you're graceful like moi, doing a fall/slide combo into a tree while your 15 lbs dog watches you like you're a fool. Glad I finished it, though. I'd like to go back and do the high trails (7 and 3, I think?) and stay in a spot with a view.

Tue Aug 02 2016

It is so gorgeous nature mother for green!!! And interesting historic of Indian cave and oldest cemetery