Fontenelle Forest Trails

Fontenelle Forest Trails is a 2.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bellevue, Nebraska that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

Walking the trails is an experience unlike any other in the Omaha metro area. Fontenelle Nature Association owns and manages 2,000 acres of conservation land and 26 miles of marked trails within Fontenelle Forest Nature Center in Bellevue and Neale Woods in Omaha.

If you start at the nature center you can take a leisurely stroll for a mile or two. If you go further back into the forest I'd say it was a moderate hike. Lots of elevation changes and plenty of different trails to go on. I went in about 6 miles and turned around. I found it difficult to follow the signs to get out of the area close to the nature center but once I got out of that loop it was easy to follow the signs out and back.

Nice weekend hike with my daughter. Great for a beginner hiker. Did the hills for a moderate challenge.

Taken this leisurely stroll with various members of my family on various occasion. Fontenelle has great family oriented hiking walks while also having a really great nature center. Always peaceful at the same time educational.Well worth a visit.

Love this place. Lots of well marked trails. Easy ones and more difficult ones. I'm happy to pay my yearly membership fee to help fund all the work they do.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Met some dears on my road, amazing!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Its the best hiking in the omaha area in my opinion. You can see decent wildlife too; I've seen Beavers on Stram trail and Bald Eagles near hidden lake. Dont go after it rains, thick mosquitos; moreso than other local trails

Thursday, August 18, 2016

yes it costs money but i ended up getting the year membership. Just moved to omaha and tried several trails and this one is by far the best. They have a dozen trails that range from dirt, wood chip, to a very easy boardwalk that includes an area for kids as well. Very good scenery, quiet with lots of flowers/trees and overlooks the missouri river in several spots, i even came across a deer (doe) with two fawns eating grass right along the trail which was very neat. Will be returning and would highly recommend, you get your moneys worth, $10 a day but like I said I just got the year pass for $45 since they are open all year and i like the multiple trail options in one place

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Kind of pricey at 9.50 a person. no pets

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Kind of pricey

Monday, May 23, 2016

Not pet friendly at all. Will not allow your four legged children to hike with you.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Love the variety of hills and flat land. Extra challenging in the winter with ice and snow.

Friday, December 25, 2015

Great place to hike winter and summer. Hiked here dozens of times. Extensive boardwalk makes it a great place to stroll.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Was warned about this place before going but, I was a bit stubborn after not reading anything on this site about it so, I let me provide some info for all of you.
If you're thinking about Trail Running, forget it, they DON'T allow it. Also, you have to pay to use it, so don't waste your gas. Too bad, because this is so close to home. My search continues to find nice running trails in Omaha I guess :(

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Love the trails at Fontenelle!

Monday, June 29, 2015

It is a beautiful trail replete with birds, deer and insects. A nice family let us use their Off. Thanks!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

My family has done this hike quite often. Very easy terrain for any age. Some interesting wildlife but not really away from the city.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

It has been almost 25 years since I've been in this park--but I spent a fair amount of time here back then. In fact, my husband asked me to marry him here! I remember it as a nice place with a variant terrain including some hills and a trail to the Missouri River. I know that I hiked more than the 1.8 miles listed for this trail--not sure if I've done the entire 26 listed in the description. It was a nice place close to the city of Omaha, but far enough into the wild to make it feel like an escape.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Went to Fontenelle Forest for a short hike. I enjoyed the hike very much with one exception - the mosquitoes. They seem to love me. Next time I'll remember to bring bug repellent. The forest was great and I really enjoyed all the scenery. I look forward to more hikes out there.

Friday, November 08, 2013

Trails were nice...something for everyone. They were marked well...nice views and lots of wildlife.

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

The best hiking in the Omaha area.

The boardwalk is great for beginners and more experienced hikers looking for a brisk walk in the woods, with a nice mix of forest and river views. It is crowded at peak times, but usually very pleasant in the early morning or evening. There are frequent family-friendly exhibits along the trails. The dinosaurs one of the other reviewers mentioned were awesome and I hope they come back!

There are miles of dirt trails as well, which range from easy to surprisingly steep and strenuous. Some of the lowland trails can get too muddy and buggy in summer, so I prefer to do the dirt trails in fall, winter, and early spring. They are generally very quiet at those times of year and you can often see deer and turkeys, as well as countless squirrels and songbirds. My husband enjoys trail running when the trails are dry, but bikes, horses, and dogs are not allowed. We sometimes snowshoe in winter - I especially love to go out after hoarfrost due to the many magnificent old oak trees in the forest, which look their best when covered with ice.