Learn more

Wolf Butte is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Geyser, Montana. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 6.3 mi Elevation gain 1,761 ft Route type Loop

Dog friendly

Off trail

Description
Waypoints (0)

Note: Users have reported that this trail is not very well-marked so we recommend downloading maps beforehand to avoid getting lost.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (6)
Photos (5)
Recordings (3)
Completed (6)
Matthew McCarthy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
Bugs

Decent hike!

Andrew M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingOver grown

As the other reviews have said, trail is barely visible in most spots. Still, it’s a nice area. However, I did see fresh bear signs past the farmhouse and gave up the hike. One last note is that the mapped out trail spends most of its length in private land, specifically the area around the farmhouse.

Jeremy Lincourt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 12 2020
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grownPrivate propertyScramble

This trail wasn’t very well marked. The trail was difficult to see and I found myself regularly straying and resorting to bushwhacking in order to get back onto it. I didn’t make it to the top. But, in order to help anyone trying to take this trail. I’ll try to give a description. Based on personal experience and my assumptions based on the maps that I’ve seen. You, for the most part, travel along a mostly over grown country road. Look CAREFULLY for the wheel ruts because they can be very difficult to see at times. These will take you to a field situated on a Saddle right before your final assent to the peak. At this point, you need to abandon the wheel ruts. They’ll take you far down the opposite side of the mountain before they fade away into the brush. Due north, across the field, you’ll find the beginning of, what I think is, the trail. It was at this point, I abandoned the hike. Having spent hours trying to figure this trail out, it was getting late. And, I had to hurry back to my car. I might update my review once I’ve attempted a second hike. Second Hike: Holy buckets! That was a tough climb! I made it to the top this time! But, it appears that there aren’t any designated route up to the summit. So you have to use your own judgement when ascending. Two pieces of advice for anyone making the final ascent: 1. Just because it’s safe to climb up something, doesn’t mean that it’s safe to climb down. 2. Some of these rocks have sharp edges. Be careful. Bring band aids!

Mishayla Waltari
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Nov 18 2019
Hiking

Would not consider this a “trail”... beautiful mountains but we had to constantly look at the map after the first 2-2.5 miles and eventually gave up and just took our own route to get to the boulders where you could look out at the view. So many fallen trees and no trail in sight at that point.

View Mishayla's Recording
Nic Morris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 18 2018

Good early season hike with easy access. The farmhouse is a good place for a break/de-layer before you start your ascent. Lots of elk scat in this area, but we didn’t see any large wildlife. Not recommended for young kids due to exposure, mild scrambling, and need to jump between boulders in a few spots depending on the route you take to the top. That said, rock stability was better than expected. Views at the summit are exceptional, but expect significant winds in the afternoon. Last, make sure to avoid descending towards the east as it’s easy to get cliffed out.

Nic Morris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 21 2018
View Nic's Recording