Upper Two Medicine Trail is a 10.4 mile out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding.

1.5 miles from the South Shore Trail

Many animal sightings on way to UPT site. Nice hike in on southern trail and out on northern trail. The view of many of the area peaks were spectacular when vegetation cleared. UPT site is getting redone and is in great shape! elk lined the slopes and lake, bugled all night. awesome sound to sleep to

Took the first boat, then hiked to Upper Two Med and walked the south shore back, about 8 miles total hiking. A good moderate hike. Nice views toward and around Upper lake, and also along the west part of the south shore trail. The suspension foot bridge sways both up/down and sideways, and has only low cables as hand rails.

We hiked this trail in September 2018 and loved it. The first part of the trail, along the south shore of Two Medicine, winds through forests and more open areas, and had a quite a bit of traffic on it. There is a rather wobbly foot bridge across a creek at one point that is fun to cross (one at a time). Most hikers the day we went were destined for Twin Falls, which we took a detour to see and we ate lunch there.

The best part of the hike, however, was on the way to Upper Twin Medicine, which is further past Twin Falls. Spectacular scenery on this stretch of trail, as you are surrounded by dramatic rocky mountain peaks and (in September) beautiful colorful foliage.

A friend and I hiked from the trail head (near the location where you can purchase tickets for the boat ride) to the Upper Two Medicine campground for a one-night stay. The most challenging part of the hike is a segment near the top of lower lake, but I don't think I would rate this trail as hard. You can take the boat to the top of the lower lake (and/or back) and skip the more challenging part of the hike, but you'll miss a neat hiker bridge and the best views on the route). The waterfalls are a nice stop and we saw a moose swimming in the pond below the upper lake and a bull moose visited our campsite. I would recommend this hike if you are in this area of the park or are just looking for a two-day/one-night out and back trip. If you hike the full route in, you can catch the boat on the way back to the trail head. We caught the boat around 9:30am after it dropped off its first group of passengers at the top of the lake. Many people ride up/back and make the 1-mile out/ 1-mile back walk up to Twin Falls. If you catch the first boat in the morning for a ride back down, you're sure to have a seat. You will likely not get a seat if you wait until later in the day as the seats are all taken by round-trip passengers heading back down.

In mid July, we took the boat across Two Medicine, then hiked to Twin Falls and stopped for lunch. Our kids (between 8 and 14 years old) had fun climbing the side of the waterfall while we got something to eat.

Continuing up to Upper Two Medicine we saw a moose in the small pond right before the lake. Once at the lake we heard about a grizzly up on the snowpack , but actually saw a black bear near us on the lake’s edge. Make sure to bring bear spray. :)

Overall, it’s a moderate hike that doesn’t get a huge amount of traffic. And just like everywhere else in Glacier, the views are are incredible.

Very beautiful lake with stunning views. We hiked from the north side and had to turn around past twin falls, because of time.

great and easy hike

I loved this trail. It was quieter than others in the park, filled with wild flowers, healthy trees, and surrounded by mountain ranges pocked by glaciers. It felt private and secluded, and I could soak up my surroundings without a million other people. We took the Glacier Boat Company trip over to the other side of Two Medicine, and from that dock, hiked to Upper Two Medicine. We stopped off at the Twin Falls, which were easy to climb and play in. Total mileage round trip was 4.3 miles. Easy for kids, but beware the bugs.

I had planned on giving this a two star, but as I look through the images I realize that it is actually a very pretty area with low crowds. I also hiked this trail with my kids after doing Iceberg, Avalanche, and Hidden lake. Compared to those hikes I did not like this hike as much. The boat ride was fun, but the actual two medicine lake that you cross to get to this hike is just better looking. I think it was also disappointing to my girls who wanted to play in the lake as they had done through out our whole trip. That being said, just look at the photos posted. Very pretty, just not as good when being compared to other things you could have done. If your camping at Two medicine I would look into this hike. However, Glacier trips are filled with enough driving as it is. Dont add the miles to do this hike if you are staying elsewhere in the park.

Trail is super muddy on the south end and on the way up to the lake. The waterfalls are moving quite nice and scenery was beautiful. Saw a bull moose on the north side of the lake that was super docile! 13 miles from north campground to north side of the lake to upper two Medicine to the south side of the lake and the two waterfa trails.

Monday, October 23, 2017

The hike is fairly easy but its already end of October. The trail is covered in snow and ice towards the end, so be careful. I ran into mountain goats and saw bear and moose tracks. They were fresh too but good thing I didn't run into them. The view is beautiful, I really enjoyed the hiked. Great for wildlife viewing.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

First leg of our four day trek. Camped upper two med and saw bears and moose and swam in lake. Loved it!

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Outstanding trail. We actually hiked to Upper Two Medicine, but also completely circled Two Medicine Lake!!

Monday, November 21, 2016

This is a review of the Upper Two Medicine Lake trail with Twin Falls by way of Two Medicine campground. In my case I chose to participate in the Ranger led hike to Upper Two Medicine with transportation provided by the Glacier Park Boat Co., of the total 10.5 miles approx. 4.2 are onboard the Sinopah.
From the West boat dock the trail to Upper Two Medicine is an easy 2.4 miles along boardwalks over marsh land, grasses and wild flowers, not to mention the vistas of the surrounding peaks. At approx. 1 mile an easy side trip to Twin Falls will add just .2 mile and twenty or so minutes to your total out and back of 5 miles. Once you reach Upper Two Medicine feel free to dip your toes or just go for a swim all together. There is a remote campground with logs and stumps for sitting while you enjoy a picnic before heading back to the boat, be bear aware in this location.
If you are camping in Two Medicine, add an additional 1 mile each way for your walk to the East boat dock. All in for the day you should track about 10.5 miles out and back. Whether you choose the Ranger led hike of venture up on your own, the Glacier Boat Co. provides an excellent experience to add to the general grandeur of Two Medicine. Be advised, the Ranger led hike has designated pickup/drop off times that take priority over the general ticket holders. For general ticket holders it would be advisable to not wait until the last boat time as there may be excessive lines and long delays getting back to the eastern shore, upwards of three boat loads worth of delayed passengers (this I witnessed).

Friday, September 02, 2016

Views are incredible of the two lakes. When you get to the top it gets really windy. The hike seems like it goes forever when close to top wish I went further

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Take the boat from Two Medicine Lake parking lot, to the other end of Two Medicine Lake (west end). From there, it is an easy 2-3 mile hike. Lots of wildflowers in season. Be bear aware.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Beautiful views easy hike.

Friday, September 29, 2017