Upper Two Medicine Creek Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(8)
Glacier National Park

Upper Two Medicine Creek Loop is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Glacier Park Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 10.9 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

Really easy and beautiful trail. Relatively flat and not much elevation gain, which I was found myself missing. I ended up hiking around 15 miles with all of the side trails to see various waterfalls and other sights, which was a nice addition to this trail. The north side of the lake is not as pretty as the south, so I would recommend taking the boat one way and only doing the south. I hiked this trail alone but never went more than 15 minutes without seeing someone, but it wasn’t too crowded either. Bathrooms near the boat dock and near Upper Two Medicine. The best part was definitely the trek to upper two medicine and twin falls.

We hiked this loop plus a few small side trails and clocked it at 12 miles. We started on the south side of the lake, ended on the north. Honestly, the hike around the big lake itself is pretty boring. Mostly forested, little views. No wildlife at all, none. When you have the lake view it’s much better. A lot of wildflowers, so that was good. Upper Two Medicine Lake is really the star of this hike. It’s a gorgeous turquoise clear lake, set in a valley. Few people there, and very quiet and serene. If I had to do it again, I wouldn’t hike all the way around the lake, I probably would take the ferry, which I hate saying, but the hike is a slog for a lot of the trail. Difficulty is fairly easy, only one steep area, no rocky or technical areas. But above all else, do the upper lake, don’t miss that!

Wed Sep 19 2018

Beautiful fall colors and saw a moose in the water at the upper lake.

Sat May 12 2018

Upper two medicine was unremarkable. If you want a workout or just to say you did it, then do it! Otherwise, give this a pass. There’s better almost everywhere else in the park.

Mon Sep 17 2018