Truman Gulch Trail

Truman Gulch Trail is a 4.4 mile out and back trail located near Belgrade, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Despite referring to three different sources including the National Geographic map of the area, AllTrails, and the Bozeman Hikes book, there seems to be some confusion on the distance of this hike. While I did not turn on my GPS for this hike, my general 20 minutes/mile seemed accurate with the 4 mile sign to the trail head of Truman when I reached the junction up top. I assume there was some trail maintenance which rerouted the trail and added some length. That, and about 3 miles in, I noticed some pretty recent trail work done for some pretty nice mountain biking trail. That said, the distance reported by many sources is off so do allow yourself some additional time to complete this trail if you'd like to do it all. Perfect trail for a hot day and super quiet and peaceful!

Truman gulch is a mixed-use trail that allows hikers, mountain bikers, horses, and motorcycles during the summer months. The trail is well established, but can be loose and rocky at points.

The bulk of the hike is under plenty of tree cover, but with the shade comes the bugs; be sure to bring bug spray. The climb isn’t too steep, but is steady. As of this week, the trail still has plenty of running water on it, but I was able to make it up to the Bridger Foothills intersection without getting the feet wet.

You’ll hit switchbacks 2 miles in. If you continue 3/4 mile up the switchbacks to the Bridger Foothills Trail, you’ll get beautiful meadows with abundant wildflowers, a good look at Truman Gulch from above, and a great view of the towering rocky peaks. The switchbacks are very mild and aren’t even the steepest part of the hike; I’d highly recommend going to the extra distance for the views (I don’t know why AllTrails excludes the switchbacks from the hike).

This is actually an 8 mile there and back hike! Lots of water and wildflowers. I’d be excited to do this one again.

Great hike, not too many hikers on it, saw a few and a couple of bikers. It was 90 degrees out but it’s covered most of the way so you don’t feel the heat. My trail map said we were past the end of the trail but the switchbacks seemed to keep going a lot longer. Note, the last mile of the road to the trailhead is pretty rough.

Great hike becomes even better if you continue past the 2.2 mile 'end'. Another 20-25 minutes up gradual switchbacks takes you to the Ridgeline Trail and breathtaking views. See my Truman Gulch to Ridgeline Trail review.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Very nice hike, but there were so many flies it started to ruin the end of the hike. Nice gradual incline until the end where it turns into some switchbacks. Very beautiful.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Nice early fall hike with my dog. A couple of very loud dirt bikes that upset the serene setting and scared my pup. other than that it's a great hike. Bring the beat spray. A black bear ran across the path up ahead of me on my way down.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Right now there's too much snow to find the trail, it's just too deep, if you want to keep going you need snowshoes or a horse.

Friday, July 17, 2015

I have hiked this trail a couple times so far. There is variety...smooth wide dirt/pine needle path, narrow sections in the weeds (wouldn't hurt to cut them back a bit), a few little streams, shale rock, tree roots/larger rocks, varying incline. There are good, obvious spots to pause. There isn't much for a view/scenery along the way in terms of looking out over the mountains. It clears in a couple of spots where you can see the mountain tops around you. I saw birds, butterflies, chipmunks, a snake, wildflowers. Oh, when you're in the parking lot - there is the main trail head with a sign, and a separate unmarked trail to the left of that. I took the unmarked one. I don't recommend it. It turns in to a goat trail, passes through a barbed wire fence & ultimately I ended up coming down and getting back on the main trail anyway because of the lack of a trail/how steep it got. Not sure who/why that second path was started.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Very fun, lots of loose rock on trail and very narrow in spots, but still s nice run.

Monday, June 08, 2015

I enjoyed it so much! Inclines going up, but coming down was a breeze!

Thursday, August 14, 2014

This trail was not my favorite. It is not very steep, which is fine. But most of the trail you're in the middle of this Gulch and you can't really see anything on either side of you. It does come out into a beautiful scenic Valley that almost made the trip worthwhile.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Popular with mountain bikers.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Very pretty and easy. Saw a lot of mountain bikers and the trail is narrow at parts so be aware of that. Lots of streams for the dogs to drink from.

Monday, April 23, 2012

This was a beautiful trail. Going in it's a steady climb but not too difficult. Lots of little streams trickling down from the mountain. Most of it is forest but you can see open hills to the sides and on top, beautiful snow covered mountain tops. I took both of my dogs and they liked it too!

Friday, August 11, 2017