Timberline and Gertrude Lakes

Timberline and Gertrude Lakes is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, fishing, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

Great challenging hike with "worth it" views on the two lakes. Nice spot to quick one night camp too. Moderate is correct rating. 9664 ft ASL. @5miles to Timberline Lake. 2142 ft vertical. It took me about 4:30 hours to complete, but I took my time at the top and checked out the waterfall at the far end of Timberline. Crazy lake views!

Great day hike. lucky enough to have cloud cover on the way there and back, but sunshine at the lake. Exposed trail all the way, so bring lots of water, but elevation gain is surprisingly easy going.

Manageable but tough day hike, with a gorgeous glacial lake at the turnaround. Don't miss the second lake. Gertrude is pretty, but not breathtaking like the glacial lake with Silver Spire (part of Silver Run peak) looming over the opposing side of the lake from this approach. Some stream crossings, manageable, but some wet shoes.

Hiked this today, but sadly didn't make it to the lakes because we couldn't cross the final stream due to water rushing over the log bridge. A group ahead of us did it by wading, we thought it was too dangerous, cold and impossible for my dog. Looking forward to trying again in late summer/early fall when the melt is over and water levels recede. A solid hike, pay attention to the new growth in the burnout area (first and last two miles of the hike).

I loved the part of this trail that we could access - NOTE: as of the day this review was written the trail is fairly impassable due to snow for amateur hikers about 1.25 miles in. We turned around because it would have taken all day to complete the hike! Going to try again in a few weeks.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Monday, July 11, 2016

Both lakes were great and although the first half of the hike was burnt out you get a good view of things without the trees. We ended up staying the night at Lake Gertrude since there isn't much for protected space at Timberline. We found fishing to be about the same at each location.

The hike up isn't what I would call a lung burner but it will tire you out. It starts out steep and with switchbacks but begins a more gradual incline once you get around the mountain. My ten year old loved it. Bring mosquito spray.

Friday, July 08, 2016

this trail isn't easy...... I would rank it with moderate. we took out two boys and they did good. I did get to spot new Bear scratches on a tree near timberline lake so bring your Bear spray. most stunning hike I've been on in a while!!!! I recommend this hike for sure.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Pretty difficult hike I would say. The beginning through the burnt forest is straight up but eventually levels out a bit. Getting to the lake is very rewarding. Wouldn't do again but would recommend.

Monday, June 20, 2016

One of my favorite hikes! We had crazy weather at the top but it was beautiful. If you're going later in the summer pack for a chilly night.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Nice easy hike

Monday, June 13, 2016

As others have mentioned, it is steep to start out but completely doable. The beginning of the hike in the burn zone gives great views of neighboring peaks. We packed up to stay the night by timberline. I would recommend camping down at Gertrude. There is a great camping area near the trail that you can't miss. The only reason I would avoid camping up at timberline is because of the wind. Unless you can get a good spot with trees to block the wind, you will be miserable all night. We had no such luck finding a protected spot that wasn't too soggy (early season, snow had just melted so most the ground around lake was marshy) and we ended up setting up camp In the open. We ended up staying up most of the night due to the loud wind and occasionally holding up our nearly collapsing north face tent. The hike is totally worth it with amazing views just be cautious of your camping location!

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Starts out very steep, in burned out area for about half of hike, so might get pretty warm on sunny days. Timberline lake was beautiful and totally worth the effort though.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Good hike with Lake Gertrude on the way. Real open as approach Timberline. Beautiful scenery.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Great trail to backpack up and stay for the weekend. It is extremely windy from 8pm-8am. We had a tent collapse. So find tree shelter.

Friday, July 17, 2015