Timberline and Gertrude Lakes

Timberline and Gertrude Lakes is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, fishing, and backpacking and is best used from May until October.

I loved the part of this trail that we could access - NOTE: as of the day this review was written the trail is fairly impassable due to snow for amateur hikers about 1.25 miles in. We turned around because it would have taken all day to complete the hike! Going to try again in a few weeks.

Both lakes were great and although the first half of the hike was burnt out you get a good view of things without the trees. We ended up staying the night at Lake Gertrude since there isn't much for protected space at Timberline. We found fishing to be about the same at each location.

The hike up isn't what I would call a lung burner but it will tire you out. It starts out steep and with switchbacks but begins a more gradual incline once you get around the mountain. My ten year old loved it. Bring mosquito spray.

this trail isn't easy...... I would rank it with moderate. we took out two boys and they did good. I did get to spot new Bear scratches on a tree near timberline lake so bring your Bear spray. most stunning hike I've been on in a while!!!! I recommend this hike for sure.

Pretty difficult hike I would say. The beginning through the burnt forest is straight up but eventually levels out a bit. Getting to the lake is very rewarding. Wouldn't do again but would recommend.

Monday, June 20, 2016

One of my favorite hikes! We had crazy weather at the top but it was beautiful. If you're going later in the summer pack for a chilly night.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Nice easy hike

Monday, June 13, 2016

As others have mentioned, it is steep to start out but completely doable. The beginning of the hike in the burn zone gives great views of neighboring peaks. We packed up to stay the night by timberline. I would recommend camping down at Gertrude. There is a great camping area near the trail that you can't miss. The only reason I would avoid camping up at timberline is because of the wind. Unless you can get a good spot with trees to block the wind, you will be miserable all night. We had no such luck finding a protected spot that wasn't too soggy (early season, snow had just melted so most the ground around lake was marshy) and we ended up setting up camp In the open. We ended up staying up most of the night due to the loud wind and occasionally holding up our nearly collapsing north face tent. The hike is totally worth it with amazing views just be cautious of your camping location!

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Starts out very steep, in burned out area for about half of hike, so might get pretty warm on sunny days. Timberline lake was beautiful and totally worth the effort though.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Good hike with Lake Gertrude on the way. Real open as approach Timberline. Beautiful scenery.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Great trail to backpack up and stay for the weekend. It is extremely windy from 8pm-8am. We had a tent collapse. So find tree shelter.

Friday, July 17, 2015

It was a good hike.

fly fishing
Sunday, June 14, 2015

Worth it. 9 & 12 y/o did it.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

9 and 12 y/o did it with minor motivational speaking. Beautiful at top. Worth the hike through lots of burned timber. Fish caught on every cast

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Steep in the beginning which is a great workout! Dead forest. Didn't make it to the lake due to snow. (June 2nd 2014) Saw a mama moose and her baby right after the trailhead.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

For Horses!
Great trail ride. Steep in the beginning and right at the end. Nice lake at the top. Mostly brookie trout. Okay for older kids. We came across a family with young kids, 7 yr. olds were worn out but made it. 10 year olds did great. 4 year old needed to be carried part way.

Sunday, July 01, 2012