Point to Point

Wow. Just got home from backpacking the Beaten Path (Cooke City to East Rosebud) and it was an adventure I’ll never forget.

7/6/18 Snow covered most of the trail from Russel to Fossil lake. We would have likely gotten lost if not for our map/compass. There were also two places we needed to cross fairly wide rivers to get to the trail (water was about knee/thigh deep, pretty fast, bring trekking poles and extra socks!!!!)

Once we made it past the Twin Outlet Lakes it was pretty smooth sailing. Absolutely spellbinding scenery and a clear trail to follow.

One last word of advice to anyone headed out early July, the mosquitoes were biblical. We were eaten alive from Cooke City pretty much until after Rainbow Lake. Bring high intensity insect repellant and apply liberally. We used spray but I’m still absolutely covered in bites from the last three days.

Despite all that, this really was a remarkable, one of a kind trail I’d highly recommend - just wait until later in the season when the snow has melted away from the trail and the mosquitoes aren’t as bad!