Learn more

Sypes Canyon is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,620 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Got to the trailhead around 11AM. We were the second car in the overflow parking. Used micro spikes - icy on the way up and slushy/muddy on the way down - tons of people on the way down. That is social distancing on a sunny, springs, Saturday for ya!

Stunning views. One of my favorite trails in Bozeman.

icy

Ice, ice, baby, but ooooo so good! My pup and I made it to the trail sign which is where AllTrails marks the end of the trail. Definitely a lil slicker on the way down, I had snow tracks so I managed to keep my feet under me for the most part. Saw others at the beginning of the trail without snow tracks... they didn't make it very far. All and all I couldn't ask for better hiking in January :D I made a video if anyone wants to see the trail conditions for themselves! https://youtu.be/jXeJuy48K-Y

icy

Don’t forget your crampons. It’s still an ice skating rink which does not mix with the hills. I unfortunately did and had to turn around early. Otherwise it’s a great trail.

icy

This trail is like a skating rink right now. I had tack tracks on and was still sliding so be careful on this trail till it melts or snows again.

Snowy trail but still a beautiful hike.

Super muddy. Nice views but the mud was getting crazy.

closed
private property

Very Byrd was Unit h

Nice hike with amazing views. Parts of the trail lower down were icy.

private property

Great hike with terrific views of the valley. Walked a day after the storm and a little icy in sections but very manageable

Wonderful after work hike.

Lovely hike. If you have time, 2 hours, go all the way to the rocky outcrop. We hiked just under 7 miles round trip.

Started out with Sypes Creek and ended up on Sypes Canyon. Trail could’ve been marked better. Beautiful view though. Should be moderate.

Nice hike. Lots of people. Good for families. Easy for most hikers, those that are older and have bad knees may have trouble with the ups and downs.

We took the trail today with our 2 boys ages 7 and 11, it was a long hike with the kids but it is beautiful. We walked from Sypes canyon trailhead through to the M parking lot. the entire track was about 8 miles with our little side adventures! There were a ton of people for the first 3 miles. Then the middle couple miles were beautiful and alot less people. The final mile coming down the face of the M we ran into alot of people again. Beautiful trail, alot of folks with dogs off their leashes running around. There are some pretty steep ups and downs but all together nice hike

nice moderate hike, well maintained trail some rocks and so.e steep switchbacks.

Halfway up due to time limits, but great hike still!

went up from the M side and just came down the Sypes, fun ride. few places it is a bit too rocky to ride but all and all.. fun!