Sypes Canyon

Sypes Canyon is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

An hour up to the first overlook (meadow) with beautiful flowers and a great view of the valley. Lots of bugs near the bottom of the trail. Didn't proceed past the first overlook but a nice 2-hour RT workout.

There is a nice mix of easy and challenging sections on this trail. The views were spectacular and the flowers were gorgeous. The flies were pretty bad, but the mosquitos weren’t. We hiked 6.5 miles (all the way up) in just under 3 hours. It’s a great workout.

Another favorite hiking trail. This is a really nice trail that has a steady incline but starts out very gradually. Once the switchbacks start it can be a steep climb. I got to the meadows and just loved the views and wildflowers up there. I made my turn around at the meadows, for me this was a great hike.

I really enjoy sypes. Not too many people and lots of different stuff to see.

Great hike, 4 miles round trip to the lookout. High snowpack up top still. I had the trail to myself today.

so many beautiful wildflowers right now and just the perfect length of time. large enough that you aren't next to people the whole time

This is a fun trail to hike or run on. Close to town and lots of parking. Although, you may have to walk maybe a quarter of a mile from parking to the trailhead. Most hikers stick with the first viewpoint, which actually ends up being about a 4-mile round trip hike. The rest of the "Sypes Canyon" hike goes for another 1.5 miles or so. Then, the trail connects to the trails up on the ridge. So, in a way, this hike does offer people of all skill levels. I was there in early-May and the trail had some ice/snow patches. The upper part past the main viewpoint eventually led to knee deep snow.

love this trail

One of my favorite hikes of all time! The entire way to the the top is rocky and up hill but so worth it. The trail switches between wooded trees to rocky mountain side covered with wild flowers. Would definitely recommend if in the area.

What an amazing trail. Montana in late spring is unrivaled in its beauty. This canyon trail is no exception. Between all the wild flowers and wildlife on and around the trail there's plenty to look at. Also the view towards the end is camera worthy for sure. Would recommend bear spray or maybe something a little stronger though.

Love this hike! I was able to do it in January with snow boots. Sometimes it gets icy though so a lot of people use Yak Tracks or spikes. It's a fun little hike. It has a few parts that are pretty quick "up" but if you go slow it's doable for all ages. Lots of dogs and traffic on the weekends. The parking isn't great because it's in a residential area. There is more parking farther down. Beautiful views. More can be found on my blog (https://www.brisul.com/blog/2018/1/5/62h0od09ygbzff94js6dt1yehopu5n)

was quite crowded after work. beautiful area with water for dogs

Beautiful view at the top. The trail was easy to see in the snow. Beautiful rock formations as well!

Decent trail with a great view of Bozeman. Don't go if windy though, it's pretty open at the top and will cut you up.

Beautiful fall colors throughout the lower half of the trail and sweeping valley views at the top. Perfect Sunday afternoon hike.

This is one of my new favorites. It's completely worth it to get to the top of the canyon, you won't be disappointed by the amazing views. Even though I've fallen a bit out of shape the elevation gain is manageable with minor huffing and puffing and I was still feeling great at the top. Took about four hours before I was back in my car

Not my favorite but still very nice.

Well maintained beautiful trails. Good challenge too!

The terrain changes throughout the hike. Fairly easy, and you're able to connect with other trails at the top. Close to town. One of my regular go-to hikes.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Awesome trail! You are out in the sun a lot though so bring plenty of water especially if you have pups with you! Mine drank my running pack dry!!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Nice trail and I like that you get cell service the whole way. Makes me feel safer when I'm hiking

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

fun

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Great hike! The views were AMAZING!!! My legs were definitely feeling it at end of the 3rd mile. A lot of flies at the top.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Love! Such a great, steady hike.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

gorgeous! 4 mile round trip to the lookout and back. 6 miles if you go all the way to foothills trail

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Trail was dry yesterday 5-11-17. The creek is flowing nicely.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Pretty snowy today! Always a fun hike though

Monday, April 24, 2017

Went Saturday. It was sloppy. Still had a great hike!

Saturday, April 22, 2017

I measured it right at 10 miles round trip.