Sypes Canyon is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,620 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail. Partially wooded, partially exposed. Good elevation gain and even better view from the top. I would say this is moderately trafficked and the trail was in great condition on 5/27

5/22/20 Beautiful views. Mostly shaded uphill. Started snowing at the top, it was incredible. Friendly hikers, runners, bikers and dogs. Accidentally overshot the official end of this trail and went higher.

Pretty windy towards the top, but mud seemed to have dried up. Definitely a moderate trail in terms of difficulty. Lots of pretty wild flowers!

Muddy in spots but otherwise clear, nice mix of shade and sunshine!

Great hike with the dogs. Quite windy up top so bring another layer if you plan to stop for lunch.

icy

Beautiful walk. Just wear some good shoes. Little muddy right now.

icy

Still some mud, slush and ice but its mostly at the top. Amazing hike, just have good shoes!

icy

It was pretty nice overcast, but there was a lot of mud and slush along the trail so I'd bring boots and spikes if you got them. Otherwise you might slip and fall down a lot like my partner did. We went up with large packs to train and honestly the trail wasn't as hard as I thought it would be with the extra pounds. Do be warned, the last half mile has a lot of slippery snow at the top.

Beautiful hike through the trees. I went yesterday and most of it was slushy. The beginning had more mud and ice than slush. I suggest hiking boots or trail runners and ice cleats. I also don't think this is a 6 mile hike. My watch told me 4.5 miles round trip from the lower parking lot.

Got to the trailhead around 11AM. We were the second car in the overflow parking. Used micro spikes - icy on the way up and slushy/muddy on the way down - tons of people on the way down. That is social distancing on a sunny, springs, Saturday for ya!

Stunning views. One of my favorite trails in Bozeman.

icy

Ice, ice, baby, but ooooo so good! My pup and I made it to the trail sign which is where AllTrails marks the end of the trail. Definitely a lil slicker on the way down, I had snow tracks so I managed to keep my feet under me for the most part. Saw others at the beginning of the trail without snow tracks... they didn't make it very far. All and all I couldn't ask for better hiking in January :D I made a video if anyone wants to see the trail conditions for themselves! https://youtu.be/jXeJuy48K-Y

icy

Don’t forget your crampons. It’s still an ice skating rink which does not mix with the hills. I unfortunately did and had to turn around early. Otherwise it’s a great trail.

icy

This trail is like a skating rink right now. I had tack tracks on and was still sliding so be careful on this trail till it melts or snows again.