Sylvan Lake Trail is a 12.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,910 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Beautiful trail, but for the same effort I would recommend heading to Rimrock Lake instead (Trailhead from Rosebud parking). AllTrails is not noting that this is the closest lake from this trailhead. I did not go further, but you certainly can. There is a sign at the TH that indicates the distances. The TH starts from the campground which is really nice. The reason I went up this trail was to gain some vertical miles. Some people indicate that this trail is steep. Although it does gradually go up, the switchbacks make for a nice incline / decline.

It’s a fairly steep trail the whole way. Hiked it last Labor Day weekend, weather was good. Fished some Golden’s while we were there. It was a knee killer on the way down!

Mon Sep 03 2018

Awesome hike. One of my favorite views from the peak before actually going to Sylvan. It’s a little aggressive for a moderate depending on weather conditions but worth the trip.

Sat Aug 25 2018

7/15/2018 The trail to Sylvan is a steep one, almost a 1000 ft of elevation gain per mile, all the way up to the pass. I am heading there again this weekend to fish, the golden trout is the draw, lots of them I'm told, purest strain in Montana, and there are so many, fish and game suggests you harvest some, lol!

Fri Aug 25 2017

Was a tough hike. Beautiful trail. constant climb. There is a shortcut almost at the end. We took it. Saves you about 1.5 miles. on the way back we went the long way. it was an amazing view on top. caught 15 golden trout. stayed 2 nights. We had a wonderful time.

Fri Aug 11 2017

Great views all along this hike. Spectacular mountain meadows, lakes and hillsides

Wed Jul 12 2017

Very difficult, however totally worth it!!! Challenging near the end you have to decent a ways and then climb a pretty steep pitch to the lake. Bring your fishing poles because there are golden trout in the lake! Absolutely amazing!

Wed May 31 2017

Hiked 5/29/2017 only made it 2 miles. Still have lots of snow covered trails.

Wed Aug 03 2016

I would say the hike was more like 6 miles one way, according to our GPS and my hiking app. It was definitely a hard hike, especially if you are inexperienced. It is uphill the entire way with no flat spots or down hill until you get to the meadow, which is about 4 miles into it. Once you get to the lake, its amazing. We stayed 2 nights, the wind came up each night, but we lucked out with no rain. We caught some goldens. There were a few groups that hiked in for the day to fish, but we had the lake to ourselves the entire weekend alone each night. Over all, it was a nice trip and well worth the hard hike to get in there. The views were amazing!

Fri Sep 25 2015

This hike is pretty brutal from the east rosebud lake trail head as a day hike. A consistent grade, well maintained trail, through a 20 yr old burn for about 3 Miles. You gain about 3000 ft in elevation in 3.5-4 miles. Nice view of the lake and the mountaintop tundra is pretty cool. A tough day hike. Would recommend spending the night at the lake and catching some golden trout in the morning and then heading back. But we day hiked it...and survived. However, in this hikers opinion this is not a moderate trail. It hurt

Tue Jul 06 2010

From where you park your car at the trailhead to the top rock cairn above Sylvan Lake is around a 5-mile hike, almost all uphill. It was absolutley beautiful, though I would say that this hike is for medium to advanced hikers/backpackers. I would also advise hiking this trail in late summer, unless you enjoy trudging through some very deep snow. There are some good camping spots as well once you get near the lake.

Mon Sep 10 2018