Swiftcurrent Pass Trail To Swiftcurrent Mountain

Swiftcurrent Pass Trail To Swiftcurrent Mountain is a 16.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

For items trail we hiked along our backpacking trip. The switchbacks are tough on the knees but saw moose and many lakes along the way making it worth it!

It's a shame this wonderful trail had snow this June - we didn't manage to go all the way. Otherwise a relatively easy relaxed hike with a moderate ascend and a spectacular view in the mountains after ~5km walk in the woods.

Hiked on 6/19/17 . One of the most strenuous hikes I have done so far but definitely worth the effort. Absolutely amazing views throughout. Higher elevation had snow. Where we could,we went off the trail to avoid dangerous snowy patches. Right before the peak it was all snow and we weren't t sure where the trail is until we spotted the fire lookout on the top. The views from the top were breathtaking.

This was an absolutely amazing hike. Breathtaking views, several lakes and waterfalls. This was by far my favorite hike of the dozen or so hikes we did at GNP.

We came from the Granite Park Campground to Many Glacier. This was my favorite hike! Gorgeous views! We got to not only see the glacier but also several falls and you hike next to some gorgeous lakes. The big downside to this hike is the switchbacks... Probably a couple miles of them all at once. If you have bad knees it'll definitely be an issue. There is no way I could've gone up these switchbacks as they seem endless and there isn't much shade. Otherwise this hike is awesome!

Spent 4 days hiking the GNP back country. We hiked from the Granite Park Campground down to the Many Cpg. This was our favorite hike in the park.

This was my favorite trail by far. The views are amazing! If it's warm bring lots of water as you don't want to run out like I did! A lot of direct sun if going in August early day/afternoon. This is a challenging hike and not one for people with any weaknesses of the legs/knees. There are tons of switchbacks and take a break in the one shaded spot before the waterfall. After that it's less than 20-30 minutes to the Grinnell Glacier. Please remember to take care of the trails and park, lead by example, and love your parks as much as you care for your most prized possession.

Starting from Many Glacier was pretty easy for the first few miles but then the switchbacks don't end and get only more intense till you're at the saddle with Granite Chalet. Beautiful change of scenery. Definitely worth the struggle up to the fire lookout. Once at the chalet it's pretty easy to take a new route out, like I did loop trail to catch a shuttle.

Monday, July 11, 2016

fantastic trail

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Monday, June 27, 2016

One of the most beautiful places i have ever been. Walked through quite a bit of snow but man there is no view like it. Worth every mile

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Hiked to Swiftcurrent Pass starting at The Loop trailhead. There was a good amount of snow above The Chalet.lits of wild flowers and amazing views. Even saw a grizzly bear the pass!

Friday, June 17, 2016

If you can only hike one hike on the east side of GNP I highly suggest this hike but you can make it a one way to make the most of it AND you get to see a Glacier! Park your car at Swift Current motor in or Many Glacier Hotel and use one of their shuttles to get to highest point in going to the sun road (that's if you don't have someone to drop you off). You will actually be starting on the HIGHLINE TRIAL. From there you can take a detour to see Grinnell glacier from above (VERY STRENUOUS). Along the Highline trail you will come across a chateau they do NOT have free water. You will eventually hook up with the Swift Current Pass trail, to get to the watch tower it will feel like another detour. Once you've reached the top it will be all down hill from there. You will pass Bullhead Lake and Rock creek lake. Moose live in that area so keep your eyes open! At the end it will spit you out right at Swift Current Motor Inn. The one way path I described is about 17.5 miles give or take if you include the detours. However you will need LOTS of water, $ or water purification system because the Chateau does not offer free water at all.
Its definitely worth the adventure! and the best way to see the most for the miles you put in.

Friday, October 30, 2015

Stunning views - glaciers, lakes, waterfalls and wildlife. Windy with some loose gravel on narrow sections of the trail about half way up.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Forgive me if this is a stupid question ... I'm a first time hiker and have never hiked ANYWHERE in Montana... When you hike these trails, or you hiking back? Or do you get a shuttle back? Some of these trails are over 10 miles or so. I'm just trying to figure out how many days off I need to hike some of these trails, any advice for a rookie? Thank you