Sweeney Ridge Trail

moderate 5 reviews

Sweeney Ridge Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Florence, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,336 feet Route Type: Out & Back

US 93 south from Florence, turn west on Sweeney Creek Loop. Follow signs from there, trailhead is approximately 6 miles from where the dirt road begins.

the first 3miles are gorgeous...then you hit the burn and lose the trail. We tried marking the trail with Carins. Seriously added another mile to our hike trying to find the trail once we got to the burn. the top is beautiful... we ended up following the ridge ( really rocky with a steep drop off) the last couple miles just because it was easier than trying to hunt for the trail the whole time. There are alot of trails leading from the main trail for the first few miles..we took most of them since they had great views...and then went back to the main trail to continue on to the top. We used the other reviews to make sure to stay on the right trail up to the burn. I suggest doing that.. by the end of the trip we had a round trip of 11miles. but we did alot of extra wandering and going off onto side trails to explore. It was a great hike.

Completed Sweeney summit 7.1.19. At 2 miles there is an obvious fork in the trail with a tree in the middle, if you are headed to Sweeney Peak Summit go to the right as I did. After you cross the small creek about 3-4 minutes later I chose to follow a trail that heads almost directly right from the main trail out the back of a small campsite with rock ring. This was a really great spot for the ridge approach to the top, and although unmarked it must be the main trail to the summit. After and small section of trail you hit a major burn area set a waypoint here if you have gps, you may loose the trail somewhat. From here on out you must simply follow the ridge to the top. Before the false summit there is a large snowfield on the northern side of the ridge, by the end of summer this will be mostly melted I’m sure, but if your heading out in the next few weeks it’s my advice to move around the snowfield on the southern side towards the amazing views of St Joe and pyramid Buttes along with the lakes below. Trying to cross the snowfield or cross the rocks on the northern side is dangerous and unnecessary.. There is a false summit on this Mountain push the extra little bit at the top to the Summit marked by a very Large Cairn. I hope this helps I loved this hike!!

Thu Aug 30 2018

Beautiful views the entire way! The trail is well maintained the first two miles. Then it crossed a small creek and diverges. Don't take the more obviously trail going down to the lake (unless you're going to the lake). The ridge trail from here is hard to keep, a lot of burn area and fallen trees, with rocks later on. But it's easy enough to stay on the ridge, which is were the trail should be. Worth it!