Sweeney Ridge Trail

Sweeney Ridge Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Florence, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

US 93 south from Florence, turn west on Sweeney Creek Loop. Follow signs from there, trailhead is approximately 6 miles from where the dirt road begins.

Beautiful views the entire way! The trail is well maintained the first two miles. Then it crossed a small creek and diverges. Don't take the more obviously trail going down to the lake (unless you're going to the lake). The ridge trail from here is hard to keep, a lot of burn area and fallen trees, with rocks later on. But it's easy enough to stay on the ridge, which is were the trail should be. Worth it!

Some moderately tough sections in my opinion, but nothing above class 2. We had a really nice day and the payoff at the end was fantastic. If you've hiked this trail before, you may be pretty shocked how much damage was done from the 2017 fires. Some large sections of the upper trail were obliterated so I'm glad I had my GPS. I also made the mistake of drifting away from the ridge line a couple of times, so once you get to the ridge I'd recommend trying to stay as close as you can as you progress. The views at the peak are stunning, particularly to the south and west.