Sundance Pass Trail

Sundance Pass Trail is a 18.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great hike good fishing at September morn

Spectacular hike! Camped at September lake and hiked up to the pass in the morning. A great challenge; all the elevation gain is at the end

This is one of my favorite backpacking trips. Not very difficult. I spent 3 days doing this out and back because it was so beautiful. Day 1, I drove to the Lake Ford Trailhead from Great Falls, MT and immediately hit the trail. I found this trail to be a steady up-hill most of the way. I ended up spending my first night at Keyser Brown lake, in a nice open meadow next to the lake. Day 2 I made the short trip up to September Morn lake and once again made camp for the night. After setting up camp, I took the switchback trail up to Sundance Pass. Amazing views...absolutely incredible. Pictures do not do this trip justice. That night, after returning to camp, a furious thunderstorm blew through. The thunder really booms and echos off the mountain walls surrounding September Morn...and the hail that came down was a sight to see. Day 3 I woke up early and started the hike back to the Lake Fork Trailhead...I believe it was just about 10 miles from September Morn. I encountered more hail on my way out. Overall, it was a great 3 day trip. I loved camping next to the lakes. The elevation wasn't too challenging. I'll upload some pictures from my trip. This is a PERFECT beginner backpacker trip. Highly recommend this.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We spent 3 days on this trip, which was a great choice for backpacking newbies! To wrap it up succinctly:
Day 1: short, easy, a good way to start off (West fork trailhead to Quinnebaugh Meadows)
Day 2: challenging
Day 3: long (from September Morn to the Lake Fork trailhead)

It's a beautiful trip. I hope to do it again someday!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Amazing views from the top of Sundance Pass. The wind is strong up there so bring a light jacket if you plan on sitting down for awhile. Had to hike through some snow drifts so prepare for wet boots, depending on the time of year. The trail is heavily hiked to Lost Lake and then its empty. This is also where the elevation gain starts. Absolutely brutal as a one day hike, start early in the day if you plan on doing it in one.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

In 1988 (Year of the Yellowstone Fires) three of us hiked from the West Fork of Rock Creek over Sundance Pass down to Lake Fork of Rock Creek. Fairly tough hike for one day as is 21 miles starting at about 7,000 feet, going to about 10,400 feet and going down to about 7,000 feet. Most impressive part of hike is viewing Whitetail Peak at 12,548 feet above Sundance Pass. Trail is good, but has a lot of switchbacks. Very beautiful hike. It has some great camping spots especially in Quinnebaugh Meadows.

Sunday, July 03, 2016