Strawberry Lake Trail No. 5

Strawberry Lake Trail No. 5 is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kalispell, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

The Strawberry Lake Trail in a multiple use trial (Horse, Biker, Hiker) leading to the Alpine #7 north of the Jewel Basin at Strawberry Lake. The hike is strenuous and includes many switchbacks. The Strawberry Lake Trail is a steeper demanding climb with multiple switchbacks ending at Strawberry Lake, which is situated just north of the Jewel Basin Hiking Area. The trail in not in the hiking area and is shared by mountain bikers, horses, and motorized recreation vehicles too.

BEST hike ever!!!! So beautiful! For sure a do over and yearly activity we will do when we come to Montanta.

Lots of switchbacks , but the lake at the end is the payoff , great views along the way !

Not sure what causes all the excitement about this trail. It's nice and the first couple of miles are a good cardio workout, but it's not all that great. Strawberry Lake itself also is nice, but not in the same class as nearby Birch Lake and Crater Lake. On the plus side, there are plenty of huckleberry patches along the trail, although unfortunately most of them weren't ripe yet,

Classifying this trail as "hard" is also a bit questionable. Yes, there's a fairly unrelenting climb for the first 2 miles, but it's not ever excessively steep. My guess is that the (confusing) trail description is part of the problem, since the trail continues on to Strawberry Mtn from the lake, which, if you took that, would clearly make for a truly hard climb.

By the way, at the parking area, there are 2 possible trails, and it's not obvious which to take. It turns out that they both meet again very quickly, with the difference being that the left fork uses a bridge to cross the creek, whereas, if you choose the right fork, you have to make your way through the water.

Of all my hikes in West Glacier, East Glacier, and Flathead, this was my favorite! The hike itself takes you through the forest for the first 2/3 then along the mountain side for the final 1/3 to Strawberry Lake. Needless the say the surroundings and views are incredible.

Bring Bear/Bug spray) I have hiked this trail several times and have always enjoyed it. The trail is well marked and easy to follow and is mostly shaded by tree's until the last 1/4 mile towards the lake. Lots of switchbacks and a steady upward climb to 5500 ft. Strawberry Lake is a perfect place to rest and have lunch before you start your hike back down. More then likely you'll see bears or hear them along this trail, especially during mid-summer. Carry bear spray, hike in a group and talk to each other.

Beautiful hike! Went with a group of friends and we are all not super fit, took us around 3 hours to complete the hike.

Not muddy or overgrown. Nice trail, lots of switchbacks. I needed to catch my breath a few times but the grade is not so steep that it hurts your knees coming down like some of the steeper trails. There was still quite a bit of snow around the lake. Not the prettiest lake but it was a great cardio session going up. No signs of bears. Saw several groups and families. Parking was a little crowded. Trail is mostly shaded. 2.5 miles uphill then a pretty much level last half mile to the lake once all the switchbacks are done.

It was a nice trail. Beautiful views. But when we got close to the lake, I was far away from my husband, and then I hear my husband yelling for me "are you coming?". After that, I hear the bushes moving and a trampling noise through the bushes ahead of me. I saw my husband down the hill making rustling noises too. I realized that I heard a huffing of a bear. I did not see the bear. But it came down to the trail between my husband and I. I made sudden advances towards him. That is when my man headed down off the trail into the brush to get some distance from the bear. It was scared, this is the first time my hubby has an encounter like this. We are blesssed to be alive. He was too close to that bear. I love him so much and I want to be with my hubby for a long time.

One of my favorite trails. Switchbacks are challenging but the views are worth it. Tried to hike it today but the top had too much snow to get all the way in.

Did this trail years ago with Wes and Sue. Camped and fished at the lake. Slid down the Glacier in July. I remember the bugs were relentless! Good memories.

Cool Fall day, tons of bear scat, no bears!

Friday, August 18, 2017

Great hike. Was definitely interesting there was a nudist at the top!!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

It was an absolutely beautiful trail. Lots of wildflowers and adorable chipmunks. I only encountered a few people and the lake was small, but completely worth it. The smoke was pretty bad so you couldn't see the valley. However, there were a lot of beautiful things on the trail to keep me distracted. The lake was pretty and a perfect temp to pop in and cool down!
I didn't think it was that hard of a trail. I mean I'm a bit out of shape so I was kind of puffing, but I'm out of shape!

Monday, July 31, 2017

This trail is amazing. We were there yesterday (July 30th 2017) and practically had the lake to ourselves. We probably saw Allison Frueh for a few minutes up there as there was only one other person there. The hike up is beautiful and if you look at the surrounding flora it is gorgeous. Huge patches of wild raspberries and huckleberries. I would not call it monotonous, the forest is gorgeous and the lake was refreshing on a hot day. It was great for our dog with a creek at the beginning and then another one where he could take a sip about 2.5 miles in. I

Monday, July 31, 2017

The trail itself is uninteresting & monotonous, but the lake is beautiful! Clear, cool water perfect for taking a dip. I was at the lake @ 3 o'clock on a Sunday and had the whole place to myself. Good thing, because it is a small lake and not much area to relax on the shore. The nagging flies drove me away prematurely.
I did see a black bear in the berry bushes 10 mins into the hike. He ran away after I told him to

Monday, July 24, 2017

Fun and challenging hike. Lots of huckleberries along the trail. Lots of elevation changes, and lots of flies along the path. The views are occasionally good, but mainly obstructed. The lake is beautiful, but small.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Perfect hike! The trail is in great shape. Amazing views, and best of all, a beautiful lake to swim in at the end. very much worth the work!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Hiked into Strawberry June 23rd, beautiful sunny day. Trail in great shape & beargrass in full bloom! No scat on trail.

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Great hike, Ive been on this trail several times and enjoyed each time. This trail has a lot of switchbacks and steep sections. Hiking up to the top and seeing the lake is well worth the hike. Watch out for the bears along this trail ...

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Great shortie hike, ran into about 2 feet of snow at the lake but, great big views for such a brief (strenuous) trek!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Great trail! Strenuous but worth the hike :)

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Beautiful, even in the wind and rain

Saturday, October 01, 2016

TOP NOTCH HIKE!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

This was an amazing fall hike- colors were unbelievable!! Definitely up hill until you get to the lake but well worth it!

Monday, September 26, 2016

It was a workout but so beautiful!! Would go again.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Beautiful fall weather today with clear sky's and temps at base in low70's. Trail is well maintained but steady elevation gains for first 2 3/4 miles. The last stretch is fairly even with great views of the valley. Lake area is brushy with only shore areas to picnic. Great workout hike!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Not a long hike but good climbing elevation from the get go. Would totally go again and then explore the other trails that take off from the right and left once you get to the lake.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Loved this hike. It is on the steep side but gives you moments at switchbacks to catch your breath... the lake is beautiful and full of rainbow trout when I went early June. The trail is narrow with beautiful views your last mile of the hike. Loved this challenging hike on a Sunday afternoon.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Super hike and steep as there is about 1500 ft. gained over two and a half miles plus is what I found. There's a couple nice things about this trail and first is that you're three hours from downtown Kalispell to alpine beauty (vigorous hike included), the second is that almost all the way to Strawberry Lk. (said destination) you get superb cell reception....even at the lake you can backtrack a short distance to great cell service as it's perched upon the western facing Rocky Mtn. front and facing the F. Valley. One good tent site and several spur trails including Wild Cat Lk. trail. Very popular three seasons.

Monday, June 15, 2015

It's a good hike for those of you who aren't really looking for a awe inspiring view... Most of the way is through trees and some steep terrain as well as quite a few switchbacks There are two paths that split from the entrance to the lake but I didn't have a chance to explore them all that much... The left path is all I went down and seemed more promising than the point up to the lake