Strawberry Lake Trail No. 5

Strawberry Lake Trail No. 5 is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kalispell, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

1912 feet

off road driving

The Strawberry Lake Trail in a multiple use trial (Horse, Biker, Hiker) leading to the Alpine #7 north of the Jewel Basin at Strawberry Lake. The hike is strenuous and includes many switchbacks. The Strawberry Lake Trail is a steeper demanding climb with multiple switchbacks ending at Strawberry Lake, which is situated just north of the Jewel Basin Hiking Area. The trail in not in the hiking area and is shared by mountain bikers, horses, and motorized recreation vehicles too.

Did this trail years ago with Wes and Sue. Camped and fished at the lake. Slid down the Glacier in July. I remember the bugs were relentless! Good memories.

Cool Fall day, tons of bear scat, no bears!

Great hike. Was definitely interesting there was a nudist at the top!!

It was an absolutely beautiful trail. Lots of wildflowers and adorable chipmunks. I only encountered a few people and the lake was small, but completely worth it. The smoke was pretty bad so you couldn't see the valley. However, there were a lot of beautiful things on the trail to keep me distracted. The lake was pretty and a perfect temp to pop in and cool down!
I didn't think it was that hard of a trail. I mean I'm a bit out of shape so I was kind of puffing, but I'm out of shape!

This trail is amazing. We were there yesterday (July 30th 2017) and practically had the lake to ourselves. We probably saw Allison Frueh for a few minutes up there as there was only one other person there. The hike up is beautiful and if you look at the surrounding flora it is gorgeous. Huge patches of wild raspberries and huckleberries. I would not call it monotonous, the forest is gorgeous and the lake was refreshing on a hot day. It was great for our dog with a creek at the beginning and then another one where he could take a sip about 2.5 miles in. I

The trail itself is uninteresting & monotonous, but the lake is beautiful! Clear, cool water perfect for taking a dip. I was at the lake @ 3 o'clock on a Sunday and had the whole place to myself. Good thing, because it is a small lake and not much area to relax on the shore. The nagging flies drove me away prematurely.
I did see a black bear in the berry bushes 10 mins into the hike. He ran away after I told him to

Fun and challenging hike. Lots of huckleberries along the trail. Lots of elevation changes, and lots of flies along the path. The views are occasionally good, but mainly obstructed. The lake is beautiful, but small.

Perfect hike! The trail is in great shape. Amazing views, and best of all, a beautiful lake to swim in at the end. very much worth the work!

Hiked into Strawberry June 23rd, beautiful sunny day. Trail in great shape & beargrass in full bloom! No scat on trail.

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Great hike, Ive been on this trail several times and enjoyed each time. This trail has a lot of switchbacks and steep sections. Hiking up to the top and seeing the lake is well worth the hike. Watch out for the bears along this trail ...

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Great shortie hike, ran into about 2 feet of snow at the lake but, great big views for such a brief (strenuous) trek!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Great trail! Strenuous but worth the hike :)

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Beautiful, even in the wind and rain

Saturday, October 01, 2016

TOP NOTCH HIKE!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

This was an amazing fall hike- colors were unbelievable!! Definitely up hill until you get to the lake but well worth it!

Monday, September 26, 2016

It was a workout but so beautiful!! Would go again.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Beautiful fall weather today with clear sky's and temps at base in low70's. Trail is well maintained but steady elevation gains for first 2 3/4 miles. The last stretch is fairly even with great views of the valley. Lake area is brushy with only shore areas to picnic. Great workout hike!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Not a long hike but good climbing elevation from the get go. Would totally go again and then explore the other trails that take off from the right and left once you get to the lake.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Loved this hike. It is on the steep side but gives you moments at switchbacks to catch your breath... the lake is beautiful and full of rainbow trout when I went early June. The trail is narrow with beautiful views your last mile of the hike. Loved this challenging hike on a Sunday afternoon.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Super hike and steep as there is about 1500 ft. gained over two and a half miles plus is what I found. There's a couple nice things about this trail and first is that you're three hours from downtown Kalispell to alpine beauty (vigorous hike included), the second is that almost all the way to Strawberry Lk. (said destination) you get superb cell reception....even at the lake you can backtrack a short distance to great cell service as it's perched upon the western facing Rocky Mtn. front and facing the F. Valley. One good tent site and several spur trails including Wild Cat Lk. trail. Very popular three seasons.

Monday, June 15, 2015

It's a good hike for those of you who aren't really looking for a awe inspiring view... Most of the way is through trees and some steep terrain as well as quite a few switchbacks There are two paths that split from the entrance to the lake but I didn't have a chance to explore them all that much... The left path is all I went down and seemed more promising than the point up to the lake

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

This trail was a great hike!!! There were quite a few people up there but the views were gorgeous. We ran into some bears while hiking up but didn't see any other big animals. I would definitely do this hike again!

Friday, December 19, 2014

Rated 4 due to the beauty and difficulty. The only thing that I have against Strawberry, is the multiple use. I now prefer the solitude of the Jewel Basin.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Great trail and enjoyable hike. Terracaches in the are!

Monday, July 07, 2014

Awesome little lake and gorgeous ridge line view of the surrounding areas once you near the lake. This trail.. kicked my butt a little bit. I ride intermediate trails.. and now I know, yes AllTrails, this IS an advanced ride! Ascent was pretty impressive and choosing the right trail line was very necessary in many spots on the descent. Got booted right off my bike in a couple stops. Overall awesome ride, I'd do it again! If you aren't an advanced rider, or at least up for anything, I'd stick with hiking this trail.

Monday, June 30, 2014

We hiked in with our dog on a rainy day... usually that means there wouldn't be too many people. The trail was packed with all varieties, including horses and dirty bikes. Which is great but if you're more of a back country hiker this might not be for you. The trail is quite easy, the switch backs are large and the trail is very groomed, ideal for a novice or someone with children.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Went on this great hike today. From trailhead to Lake and back -6.5 miles
Lots of downed trees over the trail. Snow and ice at the Lake. Measured the snow to be just over 3' ft at the Lake area.

Great workout trail- defintely feeling it tonight! Otherwise trail is a gorgeous hike with unbelievable views of Flathead Valley.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Trail rated difficult and that is true.....but it is worth the hike, it is beautiful the whole way up and you get even better views of the valley closer to the top. Trail is in really good shape, not very many people....we came across some snow toward the lake and it snowed on us a little on the way up but it was beautiful, our dogs absolutely loved the hike.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The trail is steep and rated as difficult which it is. But it is also great to take children ages roughly 8 or older! it is full of many switchbacks and goes uphill the entire time. The maps and mile length of the trail do appear to be off(it's longer with many switchbacks). But you are rewarded with great view the entire way up and the lake is beautiful. Snow still lingers into July. Great fishing and swimming at the lake(if you like it cold). If you have extra energy at the top you can climb to a peak to overlook the valley or follow three trails from the lake!