Storm Castle Peak

Storm Castle Peak is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Stunning views for the duration of this trail.

Did this hike on the 4th of July, very rewarding! Narrow so if taking young kids I would plan to pack them

This is a very good hike. We had just gotten off the plane when we hiked it so it seemed harder than it really is. I loved how there were lookout points along the way that you could stop at and just take in the view. The changes in terrain were also very cool. Of course the finale at the top was amazing. The view and the rock formations up there are definitely worth sticking it out.

Such a stunning view at the top! It’s absolutely worth the trip up!

Its truly 5 miles even.... great views, great hike.....

Nice steady climb up following switchbacks. Somewhat rocky making for loose footing at times. Views and several lookout areas on way up. At top, a neat natural rocky arch. Had lunch with quite aggressive chipmunks. No fear. Hikers in front of us encountered a deer. At bottom visit stream across from parking area to cool off.

Great workout hike with steady uphill throughout. Saw this trail mentioned as a great kids hike in a local magazine but after hiking it, I would hesitate to bring children here. It is challenging enough you might end up carrying them but more because of the steep drop offs and narrow trails throughout. Keep a close eye on kids if you do bring them. Amazing views at the top.

Great views the whole way up and down, trail is very well kept. Definitely a climb but the view is worth it

Nice views from the top and a good workout, though overall I was a little less impressed with the trail as a whole. While th views up top are nice, I do feel that I've been on better trails in the area.

What a great hike. You have a view form every angle on the way up to the top!! It’s well worth the climb. Even if it is 90 degrees!

Steady climbing to a wonderful overlook. Explore all the other vantages.

Good trail. A steady steep climb for most of it so it's definitely a workout on the legs. It's also very narrow and sometimes difficult to move over when passing others. Nice views at the top. Get there early so you can have a few minutes to yourself at the top.

Loved that we made it. My wife and I are from NH and both in our late 60’s so the altitude gain really got to us. Loved the views going up and especially at the top.
BEAUTIFUL!
Highly recommended!!!

Steady incline. Precarious at times. Lots of bugs. AMAZING views from the top. Loved this hike! Will def do again.

Great hike. A lot of switchbacks. Beautiful views at the top. We went later in the day and the parking had a few open spots. Took about 1h 50m up and 1h 30m down.

Awesome Hike !

Beautiful views! Go early due to heavy traffic, small parking area, and narrow trails. We got there at 8am and it took 3.5 hours round trip. Only saw one other hiker going up but saw many coming up as we were going down. Keep going to the top! Its worth it.

Always packed with way too many hikers.Pretty views and the hole in the rock at the top is a very popular photo opt. Steeper hike but definitely doable for most levels.

As you make your way up to the castle there is moderate incline the entire way with expanding views. go on a clear as to not get caught in the storm.

Wonderful hike. It is a steep climb up to the peak, rocky in some areas, but a good hike. The trail can become narrow at some areas as well. I took this hike on the 4th of July. Started out in the morning and easily found a parking spot. I found myself all alone at the peak. The views from the peak are wonderful. Spent about 30 minutes having my snack and on my return trip I encountered the crowds coming up the trail.

Nicely maintained trail! Steep but even the kids (10+) kept up.

The view was well worth the climb! Great hike!

A little busy for a Monday. Great views.

Did this hike yesterday and the views are spectacular from the top! Trail is a steady incline up - narrow and rocky in parts, but lots of great views along the way. We started at 9am and there was only one other car in the lot. Didn’t see anyone until we got to the top and saw the hikers coming down. We spent over an hour at the top and only saw other hikers on the way down. It pays to get here EARLY - saw about 30 hikers climbing up as we were going down. Also, carry bear spray or make noise - we heard bear noises from the trees twice on the trail. If the lot is full, park on the road (it’s a dirt road with not much traffic).

Great hike! Made it to the top in about an hour and a half one afternoon, and the views are amazing. The rock “window” seen in pictures is just a bit down from the actual peak off the trail. Also would highly recommend Bear spray!

Was told it’s a short hour to the top... count on more. But the view was worth it. Everyone else had bearspray (or a gun) so we felt nervous for awhile, but plenty others on trail.

Wow I really love this hike! Definitely one of my favorites in the area. A good climb and amazing views at the top!

We hit the trailhead at 8am on a June Saturday and saw four people heading down during our hike up. When we were heading down, we saw a total of 47 people and about 10 dogs heading up. There are parking spaces for about five cars. All other cars park along the road. The trailhead is near a creek, but that is the last water you will see, so it is important to pack a lot of water for yourselves and pets. The trail has a solid incline and several rocky switchbacks with full sun. Not the best hike for anyone with vertigo. The view from the top is predominately to the southeast and southwest.

This is a great hike. I do this trail every spring to get into better shape for longer hikes as it has a significant elevation gain. It climbs a lot but it is also not too strenuous. Views are seen from almost every mile of the trail. The views of the mountains on the top are totally worth it. This hike would be in my top five list for recommending to newbies or visitors of the Bozeman area. In the afternoons and evenings during the summer season have a lot of people on the trail. Parking can be crowded, so I suggest carpooling if it is an option.

Great hike!