Storm Castle Peak

Storm Castle Peak is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, Montana that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Was told it’s a short hour to the top... count on more. But the view was worth it. Everyone else had bearspray (or a gun) so we felt nervous for awhile, but plenty others on trail.

Wow I really love this hike! Definitely one of my favorites in the area. A good climb and amazing views at the top!

We hit the trailhead at 8am on a June Saturday and saw four people heading down during our hike up. When we were heading down, we saw a total of 47 people and about 10 dogs heading up. There are parking spaces for about five cars. All other cars park along the road. The trailhead is near a creek, but that is the last water you will see, so it is important to pack a lot of water for yourselves and pets. The trail has a solid incline and several rocky switchbacks with full sun. Not the best hike for anyone with vertigo. The view from the top is predominately to the southeast and southwest.

This is a great hike. I do this trail every spring to get into better shape for longer hikes as it has a significant elevation gain. It climbs a lot but it is also not too strenuous. Views are seen from almost every mile of the trail. The views of the mountains on the top are totally worth it. This hike would be in my top five list for recommending to newbies or visitors of the Bozeman area. In the afternoons and evenings during the summer season have a lot of people on the trail. Parking can be crowded, so I suggest carpooling if it is an option.

Great hike!

Good hike. No snow now, and the incline is never too bad. The views are good especially at the top.

Wow I really enjoyed this hike! Amazing views and a good variety of terrain. I recommend trekking poles and a good amount of time to chill at the top. Really good training hike for someone who wants to get better.

Really enjoyed the trail, the view on top is well worth the effort

Hiked today and it was all dry and no snow on top.

Hiked this trail last weekend. Trailhead parking lot was closed so we had to park about 1/2 mile away and walk up the road. For the most part the trail was dry. When we reached the tree area (about a third of the was up). some ice and snow. There was a ton of snow the last 50 yards but that didn’t stop us. Great day!!

Great spring hike!! The first hike I do every spring..

Such a beautiful hike with amazing views throughout. Would highly recommend to anyone in the area.

A gorgeous hike. Definitely challenging (especially if you're not used to higher altitudes...which as a NY native I am not!) Parts of the trail are really narrow so be careful. The views overall were beautiful and the view from the top was totally epic! I definitely recommend. ☺️

Incredible hike. Took my son who started running and was poking fun that I couldn't keep up and was walking. "Settle down young bull, won't be long and I'll catch up!"
Fair amount of traffic on the hike but easy to step off and get around each other. Switchback trails make the hike doable for all ages and abilities...but it isn't easy by any measure.
Leave enough time to enjoy the views from the top. We were lucky enough to watch a helicopter come up the valley and land near the hike entrance below us. Enjoy!!

My favorite trail for trail running ever: Steep climb to top, Smooth downhill glide to bottom.

very awesome trail for an afternoon hike with a great view

Great view

It was a great trail. Tread was fairly excellent most of the way. Couple cutoff trails need to be blocked a little better in some switchbacks to protect the resource but overall it was good. Went with friends and it was well worth the trip!!

It has narrow paths and for people not acclimated to higher elevations it may be a bit more difficult. Great hike!

Definitely worth it for the view!

Harder than I thought but the view at the end is so worth it!

Hike was a bit harder than I expected especially near the top, but it was SO worth it!! Go before the heat hits and bring plenty of water.

Narrow trails with fine sand earn this trail it's moderate rating. Well worth the effort, beautiful views at the top as well as along the way.

Great hike! Getting started early is a good idea to avoid the hot sun on the way up. The pictures do not do the view at the top justice - it'll definitely take your breath away. My pup and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

One of my absolute favorites! In the spring, part of the road may be closed, making it more of an 8mile round trip, but still beautiful!

Really fun and challenging. About an hour to the top. Go early, lots of sun and no water make for a toasty hike!

At the top, make sure to see both the hole in the rock and the shear cliff which overlooks Montana Whitewater's facility. The coolest photo is of you looking out the open hole in the cliff face, but requires a camera with a longer zoom than a cell phone (and a partner who's not acrophobic, of course).

I came from the Cascades, one of my favourite areas to hike, to come spend some time around the Rockies and Yellowstone. I stumbled onto this trail trying to find a place to Boondock. An amazingly breathtaking hike. its a short one but plan for the day if you can. So many incredible views and little spots to explore ( caves and arches) that you wont want to come down.

Really fun trail! One of my first real hikes I've done since I got out here and the view from the top is amazing. Definitely doing it again.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

View from the top is absolutely beautiful