St. Mary and Virginia Falls Trail

St. Mary and Virginia Falls Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until September.

Crowed during tourist season but still one of my favorite hikes. There is so much beauty all along the trail. At the beginning there's not a lot of shade so it's easy to get sun burnt. Be sure to wear sun screen and if you get too hot you can always jump in the water at Saint Mary's Falls.

we went around 8-9am and it was CROWDED. its a good hike if 1) you need recovery day from a long hike 2) want to do a "family" hike 3) you are older and have problems with some of the other moderate or difficult hikes. if none of those apply to you, i'd pick something else.

Hiked to St Mary's Falls early in the morning before the crowds. Saw only a couple of other hikers on the trail. Many varieties of wildflowers. Water is crystal clear.

Trail is through a forest that burned several years ago making it interesting to witness the regeneration of it. Falls are well worth the hike.

Great little hike to a beautiful falls. We did it in the first snow of the season, but I can see how it would be very popular in the summer heat!

Beautiful. Worth the hike.

This was a great hike, but I'm still not sure if I made it to Virginia Falls. I think we were at the top of it (the water flow is much less than earlier in the season, I'm guessing), but I don't recall seeing a spot to view the falls from below. The unnamed falls in between doesn't clear up any confusion. But it was spectacular regardless.

Loved the hike itself. The hike says dogs on leash. DONT BELIEVE IT!!! I picked this hike because of it. Didn't read the park book, which was my fault and had no place for the dogs.

Very beautiful waterfalls.

Nice hike along Saint Mary Lake to three waterfalls starting at Sun Point. We logged 7.2 miles round trip. Trails and falls were not too crowded with people pollution. Nice easy hike compared to many other trails in the park.

Good hike. Saw a deer on trail and moose in the lake. Good view of changes after forest fire as well but this caused the hike to have little shade. Would do again.

straightforward and simple hike one way takes you to st. marys and virginia falls which both were spectacular though I saw a lot of people turn around before reaching the actual Virginia Falls so keep going and you'll know when you reach the end!

the other way was supposed to lead to another waterfall but i never found it. but there was a cool floating dock

Amazing hike - the hike to Virginia Falls is worth the uphill climb.

Go all the way to the end. Pack food and sunscreen. Enjoy

Easy trail, but a bit crowded. go all the way to the end at Virginia falls, worth it and less people up there.

This hike is not dog friendly just to be clear so wife and I had to take turns but really a boring mediocre waterfall hike

Family friendly hike. There are pit toilets along the trail. Plus tons of shade and places to kick back and enjoy the view. If you think you can brave it bring a towel and hop in one of the pools by the falls. It's cold but refreshing!! We saw two moose swimming across St. Mary Lake on our way back to the car so keep an eye out for wildlife!

Wonderful!

Great trail. This was my first attempt to record our hike and didn't get it done because I dropped my phone in the water. Luckily it wasn't swept away down stream.

Awesome hike, starts out going through burnt up forest but new growth has taken over, the falls were amazing dont just stop at the first one go all the way to the end at virginia falls, fairly easy hike.

This was a great trail hike for our family including grandparents, grandchild and parents. You start out in the old burned area of the forest which has given way to new plant growth, but has a wonderful eerie feeling as you hike through it. On the way, you will pass St. Mary's falls, then onto the larger Virginia Falls. Virginal Falls was great because it was so hot when we were hiking and the spray from the falls cooled us off before we headed back to the trailhead. I can't say enough about this particular hike and GNP.

Trail goes through a burn area that now has a ton of beautiful wild flowers.

Actually hiked this yesterday. Wildflowers were amazing. I started at about 730. Birding was great and trail not to busy at that point.

The St Mary and Virginia Falls Trail is one of the best hikes in Glacier National Park. Due to a fire that happened years ago, the trail offers great views along the hike. Many hikers stop at St Mary Falls and miss the absolutely amazing Virginia Falls. Hike the entire trail and take in Virginia Falls.

If you are feeling adventurous, cliff jump into the water at St Mary Falls. We may or may not have done this a few times. Happy trails!

This is a superb trail! The falls are beautiful and the views are even better. This hike is for everyone!

St. Mary's falls are so lovely, there are plenty of places to sit, and there's an adorable bridge.. The trail to Virginia falls isn't super well marked but keep going up, it's worth it!

We took the shuttle for this one because parking is limited and it was a good choice! The trailhead for the shuttle is even a bit closer than the parking lot which is nice.

Very easy trail, yet it took me much longer than expected. Reason was that there are beautiful wildflowers everywhere (beginning of July) along the trail.
A must see in my opinion.

A fun hike in the woods with lots of waterfalls to view along the way. The road to the sun was closed while we were there so this saved the day for something to do.

great easy hike, don't step on the bear and moose poop.

Wonderful hike in to these two waterfalls! We went in the heat of summer so it was so refreshing to visit these falls. We saw deer and moose and quite a few people.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This was a fun trail, with the reward of the falls at the end. There's a fork about halfway down, I can't remember where it goes, but there was a sign on that trail saying "closed due to bear activity". I'm from Florida, where the bears rarely eat you, so it would have been handy to have placed that sign at the beginning of the trail. Just sayin'...