Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.

South Fork Trail to Pioneer Falls

South Fork Trail to Pioneer Falls is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ennis, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

What a lovely trail! I would do this one again and especially a little earlier as the meadows of wild flowers were wonderful, but how much more a few weeks ago! It was an easy trail and only a few switchbacks at the top - but since the falls are falls, of course you must climb a bit. I must add that driving in was absolutely breathtaking! Like a Lamar Valley wow! The Flying D May be private but they have taken every effort to keep it picturesque. I only wish I had brought my acrylics or watercolors. I loved this day.

Hiked with our two toddlers and it was long (for hauling them) but the views kept us going. If you’re not looking to reach the falls it’s worth it to hike with kiddos as long as they’ll last. Went on a cool day so there weren’t many flies but suspect that would change given the amount of horse traffic in warmer weather. Would definitely do this again. Saw a black bear on Ted Turner’s land on the drive back to Bozeman, which was an added bonus!

Great hike for all ages and abilities. Go past the falls to the meadow for an added bonus!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Beautiful creekside trail with mountain view. Several open meadows with flowers galore. Easy trail until a more moderate half-mile uphill to falls. Saw a grizzly on the drive out, within a mile of the trailhead.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Jeff & Jody August 27, 2017. 1st hike of year. 4.25 hours round trip- 12.8 miles. Sunny. Saw bison, elk & mule deer on way in thru Ted Turner's ranch. Saw 2 mule deer run from Bison on way out.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

My fiancé and I tried to hike this trail May 6th but the road to the trailhead is closed until May 16th. We ended up walking up the road for about 3 miles. To get to the waterfall and back it would have been something like 11 miles. Though we were literally walking on a road we saw a moose, buffalo, deer and it was beautiful. We are looking forward to trying the actual hike one day. But would have loved to know the road was closed before hand. Make sure you check before you get your heart set in seeing a waterfall!

Monday, October 24, 2016

This trail is rated as an 'easy' trail. The first half is easy, but the second half should be listed as 'moderate'. Nonetheless, the payoff was worth it as the waterfall was very nice.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dusty, buggy approach. All the fun was getting to the trailhead.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Lots of flowers. Pretty cool waterfall. Came out this trail on a backpacking trip through the Spanish Peaks.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017