South Fork Ross Creek Trail

South Fork Ross Creek Trail is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Troy, Montana that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice day hike with a couple of small water crossings. One of the water crossings across a pretty large fallen tree as your bridge about 10 ft over the water. There is a deep gorge just shy of reaching the falls. Beautiful place to rest for lunch/snack. The first part of the hike is through the Ross Creek Cedars which is very easy open trail (great for kids). The hike up to the falls takes about 3 hours from the parking lot and about half that returning. After leaving the bottom part of the trail, depending on how fast you proceed, there is a pretty steep section.

The nature loop and the first part of the hike (till the passing of the 2 rivers) are really worth to do amongst the giant cedars. The second part was much less attractive with a very steep path full of high blue flowers. As the sky was very hazy with the smog (from fires), we did not make it to the end and went back from 1 mile of the final creek. Our GPS measured a 12K hike. A bear was seen the day before.

One of the most beautiful hikes I have ever taken! About halfway through the nature Loop there's a trail that goes off to the right which heads up towards the falls. I was surprised that there were many more Giants Cedars along this Trail also not just down at the nature Loop. I did not make it to the falls this time but hope to do this again sometime soon!

Awesome spring view of falls. Well worth the wading through the crowd of people kids & dogs to get to the “real” hike. No snow in trail today. You must be comfortable in using GPS because several spots you need to go “off trail” to find a log to walk across to get across the creeks.

This is one of the most memorable hikes by far!!! It starts in the parking lot your amazed by the view of the trail head “seriously breathtaking!!” Trail is clear and easy to navigate....until! Haha we ran into snow the trail disappeared luckily my wife noticed one other persons “footprints” going in. The snow was hard packed but at least 3 ft deep in some areas. I am 200 lbs my wife is 105 and got a kick out of me kept falling into holes up to my knees! We went about another mile in total of 2.5 at this time my wife had an encounter with a cow moose she spooked it ran to me and it ran up the hill after coming towards her. Lots of fallen cedars to take cover at this time we jumped on one and waited 10 minutes after we went back on trail at this time roughly 2.7 miles in the trail is washed out from the creeks over run from snow. We got to the final creek crossing and couldn’t cross due to the time we had and how high the water was. We returned back easy to back track with our foot marks in the snow. We got back. Will deff do this hike again. Highly recommend if you want to do all that you wait until at least end of may to middle of June. 5 stars for the views!

Sunday, June 18, 2017

The cedars are enormous and beautiful. We didn't hike very much of the area, maybe 3 or 4 miles total since we started late in the day, but I want to come bike and hike the whole thing! This is an easy walk. And the creek is gorgeous!

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Breathtaking. You feel small walking among those trees.

Thursday, December 01, 2016

This place is unforgettable, when hiking in and around the giant cedars you'll think you stepped back in time. Very easy to hike, sometimes it can become busy but most of the times your alone in the cedars.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

This hike goes through an old growth cedar ecosystem. It is a easy 2.8 miles to the first main creek crossing from the Ross Creek Cedars parking lot. After crossing the creek it is a short distance to the junction of trail 321 and 142.. Trail 321 heads up the south fork to the water fall. The last section is pretty steep and the tread reworked this summer. You go through a section that burned in 2015. The crew did a lot of work and a great job. I would rate the waterfall a 6 of 10. It is probably more spectacular earlier in the season. I had 4 miles on my gps to the water fall from the parking lot.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

It was great!! The first part is really easy. The last mile pretty is rough. The trail crew was out working on it. The waterfall was nice but I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Nice Day Hike...Up and back can be done in about 5 hours. It's about 6.5 miles RT from the parking lot. About 2 miles from the South Fork Trail head. There is a pretty steep section about 2/3 of the trail in but the first part of the trail is easy. 2 water crossings: one over a huge tree about 10 ft over the water--added a nice touch of adventure. Moderate rating for the hike overall as it's not an easy stroll --although it's a pretty mellow hike for the first half, the steep portion about 2/3 of the way in was not short! This trail follows Ross Creek the entire way. The trail begins about 2 miles along the Nature Trail through the Scenic Area. Begin this hike by fording Ross Creek. Trail 321 is overgrown and somewhat difficult to find, but once located, the trail is easy to follow to a waterfall and potential campsite. The side slope is eroded in a few places and should be hiked with caution.

Saturday, May 21, 2016