Snyder Lake Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

This would be a great option if you're looking for a workout and not much more. The initial climb is pretty grueling with no real scenery. There are some huckleberry patches beyond that which might attract some bears, although we didn't see any. The lake at the end of the trail makes for a nice spot to break for lunch before turning back.

At some points the path was so over grown you couldn't see the path. For moderately hiked I saw no other people for 6 miles so I made sure to make some noise. The lake was okay, I wanted to go further to the upper lake but felt like I was being watched so I turned around at the lower lake. Saw some bear fur and poop but didn't see any wildlife except for a deer that thought it would be funny to scare the shit out of me. Going up Sperry Trail was the hardest part, the rest was relatively easy. It was a decent hike.

Very nice trail condition. Beautiful cirque around the lake. Quite a few brown pine trees around lake and surrounding area, maybe 30%. Beetle kill? Or, residual damage from the fire that swept through the valley years ago? Not sure. From hikers coming down, we were told there was a mama grizzly and her 3 cubs walking casually on the trail toward the lake. Most hikers turned back. We forged ahead, but carefully! Bummed we missed (from a distance) the bears but we took all precautions to ensure we were heard and that we would not surprise them. On a Saturday, we were surprised by the number of available parking spots at the McDonald Lake hotel. After your hike grab dinner in the hotel (lodge). It was really good, the lamb shank was great!

Still very beautiful in the burned woods. First 1.5 miles were a bit hard on the lungs with the switchbacks but it eventually evens out. Wear sunscreen and a hat and bring lots of water!

Beautiful hike along a creek the whole way. Steep at first but then just a gradual climb. Burned areas coming back nicely. Snyder lake and waterfall well worth the climb. Encountered a young black bear on the return about 7:30 in the evening.

Great day hike! Good views and wildlife sightings, saw deer and a bear with her 2 cubs.

The first mile and change was a lot of switchbacks, maybe 1000 feet gain in that distance. Be ready. The remainder was less consistently uphill, through burned areas, a scree field, and over lots of little creeks (little bit of mud). We did the whole hike - it’s 8.5 m round trip - in three and a half hours. Beautiful at the end. A good day hike. Bring bug spray.

It’s a good trail with switchbacks. Some decent views

Excellent trail for a late May hike when other trails are closed. The lake is not huge but it’s surrounded by mountains which form a small valley. Makes for great views. The sound of the stream while hiking is also very nice. We saw chipmunks and deer during the hike. They are not afraid of humans. A bear was spotted by other hikers in the morning.

Great day hike with a little challenge. It was a wet cold day but worth every step. First 1.5miles is the steepest. 2.6 miles from Sperry Chalet turn, this part kind of drags on but you have amazing mountains on each side as you walk into the bowl. Fire from 2017 burned out that portion too but it helps for views. Did this with our 3 year old. Plan on 1.5-2hrs one way. Bring a jacket and hat for the lake cause it’s much colder there. Only saw a few other people. Would do this again.

Pretty hike. The first 2 miles are the steepest but once you get halfway through you start to go through the Sprague Fire burn area from last fall, so bring lots of sunscreen and water as you’re pretty exposed. Beautiful towering peaks once you get into the basin. Still about 2 feet of snow for the last 1/4 mile and the lake was still mostly frozen. Completed 5/21/18.

It's pretty once you get to the lake but there is not a lot to see along the way. You may be lucky enough to pick a few huckleberries but it's another hike you want to be sure to have bear spray on you.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

It was a nice, easy hike; very buggy.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Did this as a day hike with my friend in the second to last week of july. relatively steep switchbacks through older forest lead you up to nice views of lake mcdonald. the grade becomes much more gradual as you go. less shade, and more bushwacking for the middle third of the hike. then you enter a valley/bowl with meadows and towering peaks all around you--for me, this was the pay off. the lake is pretty small, but definitely still beautiful. while we were exploring the lakeside, we saw a grizzly swim across the lake. i had been making a lot of noise throughout our entire hike so i was relatively surprised. we started talking loudly and it swam in the opposite direction. enjoyable hike!

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beautiful...ferns over your head.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Nice moderate trail. Enjoyed it very much. Great for early summer hikes.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Long uphill all the way there. Somewhat steep at points. Incredibly beautiful though, worth it.

Friday, May 19, 2017

This is one of my favorite hikes! I went in late may it was mostly snow for about the last 0.5 miles but the view was amazing! I highly recommend checking this one out!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

It was a fun hike with many varieties of berries along the trail. The fishing is unbelievable if you don't mind small fish. There are so many fish you can't help but catch them but I wouldn't recommend it for fishing. The largest fish we saw was about 5 inches long.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I enjoyed the hike - uphill initially, then gradual. Amazing pine forests. The mountains surrounding the lake were impressive - loved them! The lake itself was small but pretty - could see fish swimming near my feet, and elk hang around the campsite:)

Monday, July 04, 2016

I loved the views on this hike once it branched off of the trail that goes to Sperry Chalet. You hike into a beautiful basin and there are several beautiful waterfalls on both sides before you get to the lake. I tried fishing the lake and I didn't have any luck. I hiked all the way around the lake to try to catch some good shoreline to fish from and it was rough. I wish there was a trail up to the upper lake. The lake wasn't as beautiful as the hike was.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

It was ok. It reminded me of hiking in Utah. Nothing special. The lake was nice but small, not worth of 8.8 miles of hiking.

Saturday, August 29, 2015

The trail is ok. Not a whole lot of scenery, and I found Snyder Lake to be nice, but not breathtaking.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Definitely not an easy hike, more like difficult to strenuous+. I don't know who rated it as easy. It is about 40-45 degree incline from the very start. The horses that use that trail were laboring to climb the hill. Beautiful scenery.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Did this trail around mid-June on a year with warm winter so all the snow on the trail were gone. The part of the trail that is shared with Sperry trail (the first 1.8 miles) has a nice elevation and good view of Lake McDonald. The second 2.6 miles of trail is rather muddy. If you plan to spend any time at the lake, definitely bring insect repellant. We had bug spray but I would still categorize the amount of insects in the air as unpleasant.

Sunday, March 03, 2013

While not one of Glacier's more famous trails, I was very impressed with the trip up to Snyder Lake. The hike is pleasant and gives some nice views of the surrounding mountains and Lake McDonald. The real reward is at the top by Snyder Lake; there you can sit and have lunch by a beautiful lake in a massive cirque with mountains rising thousands of feet up, nearly straight up from the lake. I did this at the end of June and there was still lots of snow the last mile or so of the trail but this also meant that it was nice and wet out so there were cascading water falls tumbling down the mountains by the lake which only made it more scenic!