Snyder Lake Trail

Snyder Lake Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, Montana that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking.

Long uphill all the way there. Somewhat steep at points. Incredibly beautiful though, worth it.

This is one of my favorite hikes! I went in late may it was mostly snow for about the last 0.5 miles but the view was amazing! I highly recommend checking this one out!

It was a fun hike with many varieties of berries along the trail. The fishing is unbelievable if you don't mind small fish. There are so many fish you can't help but catch them but I wouldn't recommend it for fishing. The largest fish we saw was about 5 inches long.

I enjoyed the hike - uphill initially, then gradual. Amazing pine forests. The mountains surrounding the lake were impressive - loved them! The lake itself was small but pretty - could see fish swimming near my feet, and elk hang around the campsite:)

I loved the views on this hike once it branched off of the trail that goes to Sperry Chalet. You hike into a beautiful basin and there are several beautiful waterfalls on both sides before you get to the lake. I tried fishing the lake and I didn't have any luck. I hiked all the way around the lake to try to catch some good shoreline to fish from and it was rough. I wish there was a trail up to the upper lake. The lake wasn't as beautiful as the hike was.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Thursday, June 02, 2016

It was ok. It reminded me of hiking in Utah. Nothing special. The lake was nice but small, not worth of 8.8 miles of hiking.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Saturday, August 29, 2015

The trail is ok. Not a whole lot of scenery, and I found Snyder Lake to be nice, but not breathtaking.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Definitely not an easy hike, more like difficult to strenuous+. I don't know who rated it as easy. It is about 40-45 degree incline from the very start. The horses that use that trail were laboring to climb the hill. Beautiful scenery.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Did this trail around mid-June on a year with warm winter so all the snow on the trail were gone. The part of the trail that is shared with Sperry trail (the first 1.8 miles) has a nice elevation and good view of Lake McDonald. The second 2.6 miles of trail is rather muddy. If you plan to spend any time at the lake, definitely bring insect repellant. We had bug spray but I would still categorize the amount of insects in the air as unpleasant.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sunday, March 03, 2013

While not one of Glacier's more famous trails, I was very impressed with the trip up to Snyder Lake. The hike is pleasant and gives some nice views of the surrounding mountains and Lake McDonald. The real reward is at the top by Snyder Lake; there you can sit and have lunch by a beautiful lake in a massive cirque with mountains rising thousands of feet up, nearly straight up from the lake. I did this at the end of June and there was still lots of snow the last mile or so of the trail but this also meant that it was nice and wet out so there were cascading water falls tumbling down the mountains by the lake which only made it more scenic!