Skookum Butte

Skookum Butte is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Missoula, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

If you live closer to sea level, like me, this approximately 1,000 foot climb in a mile, at 6,000 feet, is extremely strenuous.

The view is worth the climb. Great panoramic view at the top, if you are willing to climb up the rocks on the butte.

Nice, short hike. I would not classify this as easy due to the steep trail. Gorgeous views. We went on hottest part of day and saw one deer. Driving road to trail wasn’t bad at this time of year (July). No reception on hike. We did not encounter a single person on the entire trail. I would definitely do this hike again.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

It was really fun! I would say it's more of a moderate hike, it's kind of steep. if you have knee problems bring support. it was short and enjoyable.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

One of the prettiest hikes around missoula! I wouldn't call it an "easy" hike. I definitely would not bring my two kids up to it (7 & 4)..... unless I planned on it being an whole day event. Most of the hike is uphill but gorgeous the entire way.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Just a short hike up to the top for some excellent views of the Selway-Bitterroot. Some snow to deal with as of mid june but very doable.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

This was a great hike mid-June! The views are so worth it!! And I agree not easy!

Friday, June 28, 2013

This was an amazing hike. I would not classify it as easy, only because it is about a mile straight up a mountainside. Once you start the uphill climb, there will be no flat walking until you reach the top of the butte-it is totally uphill. The trail is decent and narrow. Beautiful subalpine terrain and endless views of the surrounding valleys once you reach the top. The lookout is not in use, but we did climb up to it. Be ware of broken glass by the lookout cabin. The trail continues for another 1.5 miles to Granite Lake. The hike to the lookout took us a total of about 4 hours, with about 45 minutes spent hanging out at the lookout. Bring bear spray...this is bear, mountain lion, wolf and moose country. Bring your doggy and make sure you bring plenty of water for him or her (and yourself) because there are not a lot of water sources along the way and the climb is relatively steep. We did not run into a single human being the whole hike. Very peaceful.