Siyeh Pass Trail

Siyeh Pass Trail is a 20.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 20.6 miles Elevation Gain: 5,551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail can also be done as a point to point, making it about 10.3 miles one way.

47 minutes ago

This trail is incredible. We ended up adding Paigen Pass to our trip as well, which ends up adding about 4 miles to the trip but it’s well worth it. We saw 2 grizzlies during the last portion of our trip so be prepared for bears. But amazing views!!

We did the full hike today and it was everything the descriptions say - absolutely beautiful and challenging. Took us about 6.5 hours. There is still a bit of snow on the back side so bring poles, but it is passable if you take your time. However, we did run into a bear right on the trail. No exaggerating, he was 15 feet off the trail and we didn't see him until we were right there. I cannot reiterate enough to be prepared with bear spray and make sure you are in groups talking loudly. We were fortunate he was scared and after a couple minutes ran away.

We hiked 8 trails while at GNP, and this was my favorite for beautiful and varied scenery.

The trail was very steep, but the views from the top of Siyeh pass were amazing! I had to turn around because of a snow bridge that looked dangerous.

Did the Siyeh pass from the Piegan Pass trail junction (hiked through from the Many Glacier side over Piegan). Absolutely stunning views down the valley, (a valley you can't see from anywhere else in the park) from the top of the pass, worth the hike. Snowfields were easily manageable with microspikes, poles, and moving carefully.

One of my favorites in Glacier! Grizz with cub crossed trail ahead of me shortly after leaving pass and heading down. They paid little attention to me. The end of the trail was fire damaged and no shade. Bring ample water!

My favorite... can't forget the fact that I was all alone in the wilderness for nearly 4 hrs with no human being in sight in Grizzly country. Amazing views , beautiful glacier falls ... Siyeh hike is an out of this world experience.

Anazing hike! So many diverse environments. 4:45 of hiking steady, 5.5 hrs total.

Easily taking up the top of my list of hikes in Glacier. It was fantastic! Totally different views the whole way on the hike. Be prepared for grizzlies and wind at the pass. You see three glaciers on this hike and can actually touch Siyeh glacier. I will say it was quite challenging. Not just the elevation gain (if you are slow and steady, you're fine) but the terrain itself. This trail is packed with scree and uneven terrain from rocks in the trail. Also, steep switchbacks on the way down if your direction is from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift. The description of this hike says 20.6 miles, but it isn't. It is more like 11.5 as nearly all people do this with staged cars or shuttle loops. Don't be afraid to hitchhike either.

The highlight of our trip to GNP this year! We started at Sunrift bus stop and ended at Sinyeh Bend (10miles). Took the shuttle back to the car. Managed to find parking easily because apparently most people do not take the path this direction due to the added elevation as you reach the pass. It was difficult but so much pay off throughout. Both sides of the trip have a uniquely different experience. Light traffic on trail. Spotted a wild white mountain goat. Do this hike! Tips: bring layers, lots of water, food, prepare for wind

My favorite hike of the trip! I personally thought it was better than Grinnell and High Line, but that may be impacted by the fact that the smoke had cleared out quite a bit the day we hiked this. But still, the views were incredible, especially as we hiked down from the pass towards Sunrift. Also way less people than on the other trails. It had just snowed the day before, so we encountered quite a bit of snow (some places up to a foot on the trail) towards the pass and even had difficulty with route finding up there, but nothing too crazy. We heard reports of a grizzly and a couple cubs, and even saw their fresh prints in the snow multiple times as they crossed the switchbacks south of the pass, but never saw the bears. Always be prepared for any weather... We hiked this at the end of August and encountered snow, freezing temps, and crazy wind at the top, and by the time we were waiting at the shuttle stop at Sunrift I was in a t-shirt and wishing I had shorts on. We hiked Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge and appreciated the lesser amount of elevation gain. I also thought the best views were looking straight ahead the entire way down from the pass to Sunrift... I wouldn't want those views to be behind me. Took us just under 5 hours with stops, and my phone tracked it at 10.8 miles.

When I read the reviews here saying this hike is better than Highline Trail, I couldn't believe that could be true so we had to try Siyeh Pass. We hit the trail at about 7:45 and saw 6 people the remainder of the hike - lightly trafficked for sure. Through the beautiful forest at the start, we saw a lot of evidence of bears on the trail, but never saw a bear. We had to share the trail on the far side of the pass with a herd of bighorn sheep which was fun. The reviews are correct - this is better than Highline - (currently) my favorite hike in Glacier. The views are breathtaking, even with the smoke that was hovering. I plan on going back at a later date when the forest isn't on fire. And the views are in every direction. Plenty of long waterfalls in the distance and the red rock waterfalls near the end as you're hiking toward Sunrift Gorge shuttle stop are nice. I thought the uphill switchbacks were challenging; I was slow and steady. The switchbacks going back down might have been harder to recover from. I felt it for a couple days. (Out of shape mom hiking with teenage and adult kids) The whole hike took us just over 6 hours, but we stopped a lot for photos, lunch, and sheep. Could easily be done in less time. I would recommend a lightweight jacket as it is windy at the top. I would do this hike again tomorrow. We also noticed a trail sign indicating that you could hike to Many Glacier from this same trail. That might be top of the list on our next visit.

We were in the park for 8 days and this was in our top 3 hikes we did. Absolutely special. Some reviews below me were totally correct in saying that this is better than the Highline Trail. Although highline is also incredible, it is too heavily trafficked to be better than Siyeh. We did this as a point to point and thumbed a ride back to the bend. After doing hidden lake and avalanche lake, it was nice to be on this trail with far less people (although giving the current fire conditions and closures to the west, there might be a ton of people out on this trail now). This was a long hike and very very difficult towards the top by the pass with Mt. Siyeh behind you. Probably some off the steepest terrain I've ever hiked. The hike through the burnt down forest was eerie and awesome at the same time. But that means no shade. So bring lots of water!! Besides Dawson/Pitamakan, this was our favorite hike in the park.

Stunning. Feels like five hikes in one. Scenery changes and each scene is as magnificent as the last.

We were here visiting from the east entrance right after half the park was closed due to fire on the west side (still a thing...”indefinitely” from a forest ranger) so our trail choices were limited to half the park. BUT this is a fantastic trail. We lucked out that we were “protected” in a valley from the wildfire and actually had pretty non-hazy views. So there’s a lot of different approaches to this one. You could be a rockstar and do an out and back: that will be about 25 miles. Also you could do a point-to-point from either trailhead and walk the GTTSR back to your car and add about 2 more miles of an easy, paved walk (we only had to wait about 10min for a shuttle in the afternoon, though) You could start at Sunrise Gorge and hike to Siyeh Pass trailhead (both off GTTSR) and then shuttle back to your car. On the advice of others we did Siyeh Pass to Sunrise Gorge and shuttled back to SP. I’m not sure which I feel is the best... SP to SG was a shorter but more elevated ascent toward the summit (about mile 4-5) and much more forest covered so softer trails. SG to SP was much more rocky trails, less covered due to past fire clearing and then a slower ascent to the summit. The downhill we took on the SG side was much harder on the knees due to it being longer (softer ascent) and more rocky. So we would have probably preferred to descend on the SP side if we did it again, BUT we appreciated the steeper but shorter elevation gain on the SP side vs the SG side (get it over with, right?!) ... so all in all I’m going to say what’s better is whatever you prefer. MOST were doing SP to SG but we did meet one wiley older ex park ranger that was going SG to SP (he recommended) and couldn’t figure out why until we got toward the end. One thing to note whichever way you choose...it’s a beautiful trail. Haven’t done highline yet but this one shouldn’t be missed. Lots of different “environments” to walk through: dense forest, open meadows, rocky summit... And lots of things to see: glacier, waterfall and even the backside of the summit was an amazing view. Also our hike was clocked in at 12.3 miles NOT 10.5 according to the signs. (Took us about 6 hrs with minimal stopping) If you’re in glacier anytime in August to the end of the season and can’t access the west side, this is an excellent day hike. Shouldn’t be missed for anyone but especially now with the wildfires.

Quite the breathtaking experience. An underrated trail in Glacier in my opinion. No grizzly sightings, but saw a few mountain goats and plethora of ground squirrels.

Parking available off of Going to the Sun Road. My father and I arrived at 7:30 AM, parked just off the official trailhead. Glacier National Park requires a vehicle pass for parking, available at ranger kiosk just west of St. Mary Village. For the first of our four hikes in Glacier NP, we settled on Siyeh Pass. Based on the route and submitted photos, Siyeh Pass seemingly encapsulated our ideal hike: crystalline lakes, alpine passes, forest, and plentiful water. The trail starts out by following Siyeh Creek before cutting into subalpine forest. Dotted with occasional tributaries, waterfall glimpses, and captivating forest, the first two miles are a lovely, gradual climb towards the alpine zone. The trail opens up into a momentary meadow 2.4 miles in, little more than a teaser of what's to come. Moving off the Piegan Pass trail- this is done at the junction 2.5 miles in- the Siyeh Trail incrementally becomes more scenic. It catches you somewhat off guard; relatively dense forest suddenly gives way to meadow, which morphs into a breathtaking flower-laden valley. After taking a photo consisting of pink foreground flowers contrasted with a mountainous background, I turned to my father and exclaimed, "this is ridiculous!" And indeed it was. Continuing forward, tallus switchbacks yield tantalizing views of Siyeh Mountain, Cracker Peak, and deep blue unnamed lakes. The path culminates 4.5 miles and 2,300 feet from the trailhead. Siyeh Pass is simply remarkable. After curving around a rocky bend- the trail is almost literally carved into the mountainside- a vista suddenly expands to encompass Boulder Creek Valley, Mahtapi Peak, Sexton Glacier, and (on a clear day) Saint Mary Lake. A sizeable pass cairn marks your successful arrival. My father and I spent thirty minutes at the summit capturing photos, snacking, and fending off alpine chipmunks. Cloud buildup chased us from the pass and sent us descending the way we came. If time and energy permits, I heavily recommend going off-trail towards an overlook of Craker's alpine tarns. The lakes, unnamed on both AllTrails and USGS Topo, are still waters that reflect the surrounding landscape with a blue hue. I captured the lake reflecting Siyeh Peak's glacier on an overcast day; this turned out wonderfully. I'm certain that an ascent up Cracker would compound these breathtaking views. We clocked a pure out-and-back at 9.4 miles, 2,270 feet of elevation. This includes a quick off-trail venture. Overall, Siyeh Pass is a rewarding half-day hike that crosses three environmental zones. In many ways, Siyeh Pass is the quintessential introduction to Glacier National Park: subalpine forest, tranquil meadows with lush greenery, and a rocky final ascent which gives way to astonishingly saturated lakes. If you're spending a few days in Glacier, Siyeh Pass must be on your hiking list. Try to knock it out on day one! Additionally, this hike is significantly less congested than Logan Pass or Many Glacier trailheads. We summited the pass at 09:45 and were, to our knowledge, the first ones up. Saw around three groups on the ascent (none past Piegan junction), twenty on the descent. A hidden gem of a hike.

Absolutely stunning hike. Starts in trees and take you through the bowl and over the Siyeh pass to see Sexton Glacier.

This is one of the most spectacular and visually rewarding hikes I have ever done in my life. We started our hike at Siyeh Bend trailhead, at Siyeh Creek. This hike begins relatively easy, trekking through dense forest, through high alpine meadow, across rivers and creeks, and finally to the bases of Matahpi Peak and Mount Siyeh where you will see your destination switching back up the mountain ahead of you. This final uphill battle is what makes this trail more difficult. After climbing up several switchbacks, the view from the top is absolutely spectacular. We rounded the top of the rocky pass and down the back side, which offered another rewarding view of Saint Mary’s Lake and the Baring Creek Valley. I can’t say enough how amazing this hike was!! The trail ended at Sun Rift Gorge. We took the shuttle back to our car at the Siyeh bend trailhead.

We hiked this route starting at Siyeh Bend and ending at Sunrift Gorge, then taking the shuttle back. It's an excellent and varied hike with a summit that feels like it's the top of the world. The descent was tricky due to snow -- would recommend hiking poles -- but the switchbacks down the ridge are beautiful and dotted with small waterfalls. Overall one of the best hikes we did in Glacier, with far less traffic than the Highline.

MUCH better hike than Highline/Grinnell Overlook and half the distance if you utilize the shuttle to start from Siyeh Bend and end at Sunrift Gorge The view from the pass out to the plains is the equal of the extra bonus part of Grinnell. The downhill and switchbacks from the pass to St Mary is terrific. Skip the Highline, do this instead and have half your day open to hike elsewhere.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

I can say there is nothing about this hike to complain about. Beautiful start (from the siyeh creek trail head) in the forest which opens to gorgeous meadows littered everywhere with flowers which eventually reaches alpine and oh man are the views insane from there. You can start at either the st Mary trail head or the siyeh pass trail head which starts at siyeh creek and shares the same trail with Piegan pass (also a great hike). One of the best and in my opinion underrated in glacier. Very little traffic the day I went.

Friday, July 13, 2018

amazing hike. the first part in particular is absolutely beautiful, walking through woods and fields of flowers. hopping over the pass is fine with all the switchbacks. descending the other side en route to sunrift gorge gets a little technical in parts - you’re best to use the rocks to scramble your way down until the snow melts a little more. highly recommend poles if you’ve got dodgy knees or ankles on the descent. my other tip would be to park early (7.30,8am at latest) if parking at siyeh bend because there aren’t many spots. it’s an easy shuttle back once you pop out at the gorge. i’d say siyeh-sunrift is the best direction by far - the other way is a lot of thankless uphill.

Sunday, July 08, 2018

Did this hike with my two teenage boys. Parked at Siyeh Bend and took shuttle back to car after hike. Absolutely epic views as you cross over the pass. Very windy as you ascend and descend the pass. Had to cross snow frequently on the backside of the hike but very doable. No grizzly sightings, but we knew they were near by due to fresh scat on the trail. Hooked up with a couple of other groups - safety in numbers. Highly recommend this hike.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Did this trail a few years ago, just loved it. Beautiful views.

Friday, June 01, 2018

Phenomenal. Gradual climbs make the elevation gain doable and the views are spectacular, even if there are forest fires and smoke in the park. This hike features a lovely creek, views of some alpine lakes, and an opportunity to visit one of the glacier-fed lakes if you go off trail a bit nearer the Siyeh Bend side. I recommend starting early for stunning morning light on the valley and creek near the beginning of the hike if you start from the Sunrift Gorge bus stop. Starting early also increases your chance of getting a parking spot - we parked at Sunrift Gorge, hiked to Siyeh Bend, then took the bus back to our car.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Great hike. Beautiful view at the top.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Looking to hike this in mid to late July with another person or small group. Normally would do this by myself but I’ve heard of a lot of bear and moose sightings in this area and rather not chance it. HMU if interested. 716 359 2077.