Siyeh Pass Trail

Siyeh Pass Trail is a 18.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until October.

Did this trail a few years ago, just loved it. Beautiful views.

Phenomenal. Gradual climbs make the elevation gain doable and the views are spectacular, even if there are forest fires and smoke in the park. This hike features a lovely creek, views of some alpine lakes, and an opportunity to visit one of the glacier-fed lakes if you go off trail a bit nearer the Siyeh Bend side. I recommend starting early for stunning morning light on the valley and creek near the beginning of the hike if you start from the Sunrift Gorge bus stop. Starting early also increases your chance of getting a parking spot - we parked at Sunrift Gorge, hiked to Siyeh Bend, then took the bus back to our car.

Great hike. Beautiful view at the top.

Looking to hike this in mid to late July with another person or small group. Normally would do this by myself but I’ve heard of a lot of bear and moose sightings in this area and rather not chance it. HMU if interested. 716 359 2077.

I did piegan pass and siyeh pass in the same day. 14 miles total. Parked at Siyeh bend and started there. I highly recommend getting both hikes in this way. Views are incredible! I liked the piegan view a tiny bit more, but it's possible that's bc half of the view at Siyeh was blocked by forest fire smoke. Hike to Siyeh was significantly more challenging than the ascension to piegan. Thought they'd both be very hard, but that wasn't the case. This is a solid hike and I recommend it.

Beautiful hike, the panoramic views of the mountains, lakes, glaciers, and creeks are out of this world. Bring a lunch and take in the views.

Hiked from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge, logged 12.5 miles. Seen a Grizzly heading over the pass with us about 50' above the trail. Some of the best views with three Glaciers to see on the trek. Small waterfalls from glacier melt awakens the valley streams.

Great trail!!! Challenging uphill to the pass for about 2 miles. My son, 13yo, had no problems reaching the pass at 7800ft. Great experience. Saw many prairie dogs. Wind was pretty strong at the top. Make sure there's no weather coming in if your heading to the pass. Still snow up there in late august.

This trail was a great surprise. Reviews on here make a lot of trails seem more difficult than they really are, but this is a great ~11 mile moderately strenuous to difficult hike. I recommend more than 2L of water and a light jacket for the wind but a great way to spend the day. Started at the Siyeh Bend shuttle stop (TH is behind the guardrail near the creek) and followed the trail to a shuttle stop next to Bearing Falls. Bringing a lunch is a good idea if you start early, can finish the trail around noon and either spend it by Bearing or the lake by the finish shuttle stop. Shuttle took a bit longer to show up for me so you'd have plenty of time to enjoy yourself

Such an incredible hike! I suggest parking at Sunrift Gorge and shuttling up to Siyeh Bend. It seemed like it would be a much more challenging hike if started from Sunrift.
The wildflowers and views are like no other. Definitely bring bear spray as there were MANY signs of grizzly bear activity along the trail. Snacks, lots of water and layers are a great idea too! The weather is variable in Glacier and it’s always a good idea to be prepared.
This hike is one of my favorites! It’s much less traveled in comparison to other hikes in the park—we had the trail to ourselves for a majority of the hike despite it being the height of tourist season.

Beautifull! Steep at the end but so worth it. Not a lot of shade so bring enough water and sun protection.
Tip: you can do an out and back trail, which is 31 miles, but you can also do a one way hike (10,5 miles), start at the pegan pass trail (left) and hike to the top, further to the going to the sun road and take the shuttle back to your car. This is the easiest trail. The opposite direction is also possible bit more steep in the beginning.

This was my first time to hike this trail and it was incredible. About three miles in, the wildflowers and beargrass was spectacular. We went up through the pass and down to Sunrift Gorge. Being a novice, it took a while but was well worth it. I highly suggest arriving early 8:00 am, parking at Sunrift and taking the Shuttle to Siyeh. That way your vehicle will be there at the end and you won't have to wait on a shuttle to take you back when its really crowded.

Too much snow to get over the col. Nice walk through pine forest and meadow but this restricts view somewhat which only opens out on the top of the pass. Nice enough but not ac classic at least for this bit from the bend to the col.

One of the most spectacular places I've ever been. The elevation and steep switchbacks were tough on this flatlander, but the views at the top and on the way down to Sunrift Gorge were all the sweeter having earned them.

The portion of this trail that we took from Piegans Pass was horrible and should be closed. It was not maintained and barely passable through berry patches which was quite scary considering this is grizzly territory. No views whatsoever.

Spectacular hike. Gorgeous views. Beautiful flowers and meadows. We did an out and back from Siyeh Bend to Siyeh Pass and back. Loved this hike. Among my favorites anywhere. I would characterize the hike we did (9 miles) as moderate. It isn't very steep until the end and there isn't anything technical about the hike.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

had to turn back a ways in due to time, but great alpine country, lots of goats, and bear sign

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Awesome hike, one of my favorites. Don't go out and back. Hike to the sunrift gorge trailhead and take shuttle back to your car

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Awesome hike! Beautiful views from both sides of the pass. Does involve some elevation gain and a fair share of descent but the change in terrain keeps it exciting.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

One of the best hikes in the park !!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Not for the faint of heart. Incredible, incredible hike. One of the best of the best. GO prepared: WATER, FOOD! And take breaks! Took us about 15 hours to complete. Mazing view of Cracker Lake at the summit of Siyeh - breathtaking!

Saturday, April 11, 2015

My family's most favorite hike in GNP! This is near the Continental Divide along the Going To The Sun Road. Majestic views of pristine lakes, valley lookout, beautiful plants and wildflowers and it's so peaceful. We would hike one way and hitchhike back to our car. In five years of doing so we never had any problems and met incredible people. One time we even met Jack Hanna (Into The Wild; Animal Adventures)!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Going up the pass is a bit tedious, but the scenery is worth the hard work. Be mindful of bears towards Sunrift Gorge.

Friday, September 23, 2011

If you visit Glacier National Park, DO THIS TRAIL. We hiked this one on our first full day there, and it was an amazing start to the trip. The trek up to the top of the pass has views of dozens of peaks, including glacier-formed lakes, and to the east you can see the Great Plains. Huge, long waterfalls (or maybe you can call them really steep streams) formed by melting snow lead to ice-cold streams that you can rest near (and dip your feet into if you can stand the cold) are all over the place. I don't know how many times my friend and I just stopped, awed, and just said, "WOW!" from some new view. Unfortunately we didn't see much wildlife other than the Colombian Ground Squirrels which were everywhere and a few birds.
It's a long trail and by the end of it, we were glad to be done, as we had explored some side trails (at the top of the pass, there's an unnamed mountain peak that was temptingly close so almost climbed it--I chickened out at the very end because you have to jump upward across a 1000 foot drop to stand on the ACTUAL peak but we touched it, so close enough). I think overall we probably did 12-14 miles or so between the marked trail and exploring. If you do explore, just make sure to walk on the rocks and avoid stepping on plant life.