Siyeh Pass Trail [CLOSED]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(234)
Glacier National Park

Siyeh Pass Trail is a 20.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Siyeh Bend, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 20.6 miles Elevation Gain: 5,551 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. This trail can also be done as a point to point, making it about 10.3 miles one way. This is easily done by utilizing the park's shuttle service on Going-to-the-Sun Road.

Great trail - it was super foggy when we did it so we missed so many of the big views but we could tell they were there. On the very last few miles the weather opened up and it was gorgeous. So, so worth it. Quiet, beautiful, big, like Glacier is supposed to be. Did this point to point, parked at the top and took the shuttle back at the end of the hike. Planned on parking at the bottom but we didn’t time the shuttles right and didn’t want to wait an extra 30 mins for the next shuttle. Hiked in July and the trail was under some snow at the very top which made route finding a little difficult, and I was thankful for my trekking poles since it was a bit steep on the snow. Moderate difficulty, a bit of a trudge up to the pass but not bad at all. I am absolutely going to do it again this summer and hopefully actually see more of the trail.

This is one of my favorite day hikes in the park due to the variety of scenery along the way and the fact that one can shuttle to prevent it from being a there-and-back hike. There is a wonderful balance forest, green alpine parks, and above treeline hiking. My favorite is the narrow Siyeh Pass itself, which allows you to, in the span of walking just a few hundred yards, gaze down three different, unique valleys. Siyeh Peak is one of most beautiful mountains I've ever seen, and the trail from there can offer fun glacading, depending on the time of year. Tip: Make sure the snow has melted enough to enable the pass to be passable! Last time, we were blocked by a 20-foot wide column of ice/snow that forced us to turn back.

We did this gem as a point-to-point, parking at Sunrift Gorge and taking the shuttle to Siyeh Bend. Labour Day weekend was a great time to do it, as it wasn’t busy, but still warm enough at lower elevations. At the pass, expect wind and a drop in temperature, but also one of the most amazing views in the park! Gorgeous hike through and through for a moderate amount of effort.

We hiked this trail point to point from Sunrift Gorge to Siyeh bend. We left bikes so when we finished the hike we coasted back down Going to the Sun Road to our truck. It is a little more elevation to climb in this direction but only moderately steep and what we call sneaky climbing - it is very gradual in sections with lots of switchbacks. The trail is also very well maintained without a lot of roots or rocks to trip over. The views are wonderful. We’ve hiked a lot of trails in this park (not all...yet) and this is one of the best.

Possibly one of my favorite hikes so far! Trail starts in mix of forest and meadows and opens up at the base of the pass. Winds were gusting hard today making it very challenging. Amazing views from the top and on the way down and switchbacks on the way down were very easy to navigate. I highly recommend taking the shuttle from Sunrift Gorge to Siyeh bend and then ending at your car.

We parked at Sunrift and took the shuttle back to Siyeh bend that way we were at the car when done with the hike. One way was about 10.5 miles and 2,300 ft of elevation gain. Incredible views of 3 different valleys and multiple glaciers on this hike. Very few people on this trail compared to the other popular hikes in the park.

Parked at Sunrift and took a shuttle to the start this way we only did the one way which was about 10.5 miles and car was waiting. Great hike, see a variety of terrain along the way. Shocked this isn’t more popular but was glad it wasn’t super crowded. Do it!!

Siyeh bend to sunrift gorge. Uphill to the pass then all downhill and very, very gorgeous.

Beutiful

Parked at Siyeh Bend and took shuttle back from Sunrift Gorge - was easier on the legs this way. This was our first hike at GNP, but FAVE hike (did Highline and Grinnell too). The sheer diversity and variety was what we loved so much and holy heavens, it was like Baby Jesus dropped his crayolas all over the mountain. I've never seen so many colors in rocks and shelves. Rainbow mountain in Peru ain't got nuthin on this mofo (except you know, ~10k ft) but the minerals in the rock were breathtaking. Less wildlife than other trails, but more of everything else! And the huckleberries were at their prime on this puppy and don't forget a wind breaker/long sleeve - never a dull moment!

Awesome trail, glad I read the other reviews! Views aren’t quite as good as Grinnell but the actual hike is more enjoyable and it’s far less busy. Highly recommend!

spectacular! amazing views of 3 valleys and you're up close and personal with 4 glaciers... all while hiking through diverse landscapes. started at siyeh bend, easier on the legs for sure. hot and humid at the start, windy and cold on top. layering is essential. overall, a unique experience that didn't kill my legs. Do this hike!!

We hiked point-to-point from Siyeh Bend to Sunrift Gorge and shuttled back to our car. Elevation gain was fairly gradual until the last push to Siyeh Pass, then all downhill with a lot of switchbacks. The views were spectacular and so varied. Lots of wildflowers. This was one of my favorites in the park.

Our favorite hike in all of Glacier.... so far. The scenery is simply stunning. The views are more varied than the Highline/Loop trail, and this trail has a lot less foot traffic. Starting at Siyeh Bend is definitely the best way to do this hike. An early start will keep you out of the sun until you are almost at the top of the pass We drove to the start at Siyeh Bend, and took the free shuttle from Sunrift Gorge back to our car.

Have hiked a lot of trails in glacier (highline, Grinnell glacier, sperry glacier, gunsight, ptarmigan tunnel, Swiftcurrent, crypt lake) and would have to say this one I enjoyed the most. It has everything, glaciers, long valleys, waterfalls, flowering meadows, lakes. Can’t believe it took my 5th time to glacier to discover it.

Great hike! Tons of huckleberries at this time of the year (mid/ late August).

It gets pretty windy once you hit mile 4 from Siyeh Bend entrance. The wind was blowing so strong against us that is was quite challenging to climb up the switch backs to the very peak of the mountain. We saw a family of goats once on the other side, and marmots. I would pack some food to eat once you get to the top, it’s beautiful. I also got stung by 3 wasps on my legs at once because the trail got pretty over grown around mile 7 or so. It was one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever gone on and I’d get stung 6 times over to do it again. It is grizzly country so make sure to always be on alert. You’ll see about 4 different terrains on this hike which is awesome. It took the 4 of us 5 hours.

Hiked from Siyeh Bend parking / trail head up to the summit then down through Sun Rift Gorge roughly 10.4 miles! Beautiful views with cool walk through forest to begin then climb up to summit and many switchbacks through the Gorge. Saw many ground squirrels, marmite and gopher then was treated to a small herd of Big Horn Sheep which could be seen from the Summit. Moderate to Strenuous hike for us but we are not avid hikers and are not Spring Chickens lol. Beautiful Views and 2250 ft elevation gain was challenging but fun!

Fresh snow at the summit on 8/17. stunning views. moderate climb.

Hiked from the Piegan Pass trailhead to St. Mary’s Lake and took the shuttle back to the car. The trail was 10 miles long and it took 4.5 hours. Absolutely gorgeous hike with beautiful wildflowers, but did not spot any wildlife other than ground squirrels. It gets cold as you gain elevation (approximately 2200 ft), so dress appropriately. Also, the downhill was brutal on my joints, but others seemed fine.

What an outstanding trail. We hiked west to east (1,000' net loss or so in elevation with a 3,300' climb to start). This was early August and nearly every type of terrain we crossed was exploding with wildflower color. There's also lots of water along the way, even late in summer. The views from the pass are breath-taking. I'm sure you could see into Canada on a clear day. The standing scorched trees on the east side are just starting to fall with lots of lodgepole pine saplings popping up. I cannot recommend this trail enough. Wow!

What a great hike! Started at Siyeh Bend around 8am and finished up at sunrift gorge around 1pm. Cool thing about this trial is you can shuttle back to your car after doing the one way. I recommend starting at Siyeh bend, while there is still a nice incline, it’s nothing compared to starting at sunrift gorge.

Great

Wow! What a hike! The wildflowers in July were incredible. It was cold & rainy on the way down, so if you’re hiking with kids make sure you’ve got layers for them. Did this as the point to point and took the bus back to the visitor center.

Peak wildflower season made this hike one of our favorite dayhikes ever. Go though several ecosystems and see multiple glacial valleys and Sexton Glacier Completely away from civilization and very light traffic. hiked 8/8 We got to Logan Pass at 7:35 and it was already 75% full so decided to park, use restroom, and take 8am shuttle to Siyeh. Siyeh still had parking at 8:05 but no restroom, so our way worked well