Sioux Charley Lake Trail

Sioux Charley Lake Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nye, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and fishing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I've done this horseback and on foot, one of my favorite places. I love it up there. can be a very busy trail but I think its worth it. It's a nice hike, I see kids doing it regulary.

Spent two nights near the top of the lake back in late May. Runoff was killer and we had to go off trail several times because the trail was underneath the water. several fallen trees over the trail. great views, would be better later in the season with trail maintenance and runoff down

Very beautiful hike!

This trail gave me and my girlfriend some amazing views it was awesome! Do recommend

Great hike, the scenery is breathtaking along the rapids as well as throughout the whole trail. If you can appreciate the simple things like wildflowers and butterflies.

This was a beautiful hike with great scenery especially the white water rapids of the stillwater river. There was many wildlife to look at and be aware of including grizzlies. The scenery was fantastic however the "lake" had some left to be desired. It was more of a wide river. The lake was not inspiring like other similar Montana hikes. If you want to see a cool lake, I would highly recommend elk lake, lost lake or mystic lake. A good hike nonetheless. Bring bear spray! 3.5 in is the "lake".

This trail was beautiful. Wildflowers most of the way with great views of the mountains. Plan on mud though since the tails do cross a few streams. Took three kids and besides the three year old they were able to keep up and really enjoyed it. It's a well maintained path.

Moderately hard trail, a lot of up and down. Beautiful beginning and end but the middle was a little boring.

Great easy trail. Pretty level the whole way with beautiful scenery. Great early season hike, as it's low altitude.

Love this trail! It s beautiful right when you start. I first took this hike when my son was 2 and he is now 4. Very easy to walk even with him on my back.

Nice hike....great for a family to do. Lots of features.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

This is my favorite day hike. Anytime we have visitors, this is where I bring them! Instant gratification, as it's beautiful as soon as you start out. I hike it often, & sometimes there's horse poo, other times not. Just depends. I would love to see a moose, but so far haven't seen one here. If anyone else has, please post about it!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails! What makes Sioux Charley so great is that there's a mix of everything - the rushing river in a rocky gorge, shaded areas full of aspens and other trees, little bits of meadow, crossing a stream or two, great mountain views, and the peacefulness of the "lake" at the end. It's also an easy hike that most folks can do. It is 7.5 miles roundtrip (not 6.5, as advertised). It took us 3 hours, 40 minutes to complete, but we did stop often to take photos of the beautiful scenery!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Tons of horse poop on the trail. If you can get past that, beautiful easy hike along the creek most of the way. The "lake" is actually just a wide spot in the river.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great day hike for the dogs. Plenty of water around for them to sip as needed. Beautiful gorge, and scenery all the way to the "lake". Quite a few people on the trail, throughout the afternoon. Unless I didn't go far enough, it was a widening of the river, and slow moving water, not an actual lake (this has already been stated...) Still beautiful, and a plenty long hike for "nominally in shape" folks. No bugs, few flowers left. No edible berries that I dared to try.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Beautiful hike, lots of wildflowers and raspberries along the way, my 8 and 9 year did great and were definitely worn out by the end. I would do this one again

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Awesome hike with very little altitude change. Fishing was very good the day I went.

Monday, July 25, 2016

We love this hike! This was this first hike I took my little ones on, ages 3 & 5 at the time. Easy enough for them to do but challenging on little legs. They love this hike and for the distance it's a fairly quick hike. One of my favorites!

Monday, July 18, 2016

It was s great hike! With beautiful scenery! Longer then the posted signs said though!