Sioux Charley Lake Trail

Sioux Charley Lake Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nye, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and fishing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful, well maintained trail system. The “refrigerator effect” from the rapids is refreshing for the first mile, and there’s some great lookouts when you leave the river bank a few miles in.

Great fairly easy hike. The trail had some muddy spots still but that's probably mostly due to horse traffic and a wet spring.

Beautiful hike!

I would like to start out by saying this is a really nice hike but when you get to the lake which seems to be more of a wide spot in the river kind of a disappointment but otherwise the views are awesome and the hike was fairly easy I’m way out of shape but the trail was marked and not to bad the hike back is way less hard the going in

great starter trail

Enjoyed hiking this trail with family. Pretty easy hike. There is part of the hike where the hill is steep for a little bit, but not terrible! Gorgeous nature views, and the lake is breathtaking!

I've done this horseback and on foot, one of my favorite places. I love it up there. can be a very busy trail but I think its worth it. It's a nice hike, I see kids doing it regulary.

Spent two nights near the top of the lake back in late May. Runoff was killer and we had to go off trail several times because the trail was underneath the water. several fallen trees over the trail. great views, would be better later in the season with trail maintenance and runoff down

Very beautiful hike!

This trail gave me and my girlfriend some amazing views it was awesome! Do recommend

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Great hike, the scenery is breathtaking along the rapids as well as throughout the whole trail. If you can appreciate the simple things like wildflowers and butterflies.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

This was a beautiful hike with great scenery especially the white water rapids of the stillwater river. There was many wildlife to look at and be aware of including grizzlies. The scenery was fantastic however the "lake" had some left to be desired. It was more of a wide river. The lake was not inspiring like other similar Montana hikes. If you want to see a cool lake, I would highly recommend elk lake, lost lake or mystic lake. A good hike nonetheless. Bring bear spray! 3.5 in is the "lake".

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

This trail was beautiful. Wildflowers most of the way with great views of the mountains. Plan on mud though since the tails do cross a few streams. Took three kids and besides the three year old they were able to keep up and really enjoyed it. It's a well maintained path.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Moderately hard trail, a lot of up and down. Beautiful beginning and end but the middle was a little boring. The lake is more of just a wide space in the river, but beautiful down the valley

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Great easy trail. Pretty level the whole way with beautiful scenery. Great early season hike, as it's low altitude.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Love this trail! It s beautiful right when you start. I first took this hike when my son was 2 and he is now 4. Very easy to walk even with him on my back.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Nice hike....great for a family to do. Lots of features.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

This is my favorite day hike. Anytime we have visitors, this is where I bring them! Instant gratification, as it's beautiful as soon as you start out. I hike it often, & sometimes there's horse poo, other times not. Just depends. I would love to see a moose, but so far haven't seen one here. If anyone else has, please post about it!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

This is one of my favorite trails! What makes Sioux Charley so great is that there's a mix of everything - the rushing river in a rocky gorge, shaded areas full of aspens and other trees, little bits of meadow, crossing a stream or two, great mountain views, and the peacefulness of the "lake" at the end. It's also an easy hike that most folks can do. It is 7.5 miles roundtrip (not 6.5, as advertised). It took us 3 hours, 40 minutes to complete, but we did stop often to take photos of the beautiful scenery!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Tons of horse poop on the trail. If you can get past that, beautiful easy hike along the creek most of the way. The "lake" is actually just a wide spot in the river.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great day hike for the dogs. Plenty of water around for them to sip as needed. Beautiful gorge, and scenery all the way to the "lake". Quite a few people on the trail, throughout the afternoon. Unless I didn't go far enough, it was a widening of the river, and slow moving water, not an actual lake (this has already been stated...) Still beautiful, and a plenty long hike for "nominally in shape" folks. No bugs, few flowers left. No edible berries that I dared to try.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Beautiful hike, lots of wildflowers and raspberries along the way, my 8 and 9 year did great and were definitely worn out by the end. I would do this one again

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Awesome hike with very little altitude change. Fishing was very good the day I went.

Monday, July 25, 2016

We love this hike! This was this first hike I took my little ones on, ages 3 & 5 at the time. Easy enough for them to do but challenging on little legs. They love this hike and for the distance it's a fairly quick hike. One of my favorites!

Monday, July 18, 2016

It was s great hike! With beautiful scenery! Longer then the posted signs said though!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

This was a beautiful hike! The sign at beginning says 3.5 miles to that lake, but I really think this hike was about a mile longer (8 total). My girls (ages 8 and 4) both did great!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

A lot of of activity and traffic, horse crap everywhere, but otherwise was well worth it. The canyon is stunning and the lake (which is more like a widening in the river) is beautiful and nice to soak your feet in. Good for day-hikes if you don't want the calf-buster hikes like Mystic.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Moderate hike. Amazingly beautiful scenery. Hiking along a white water river for the first half. Lots of rocks to maneuver for the first quarter of hike. Bring bug repellent!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

great hike for a half day or make it a day at the lake. trail is well kept. great views throughout the entire trail. definitely a family friendly hike.