Scenic Point

Scenic Point is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Camping permit required.

Very lightly traveled in comparison to the rest of the trail system in glacier. This hike goes straight up after about a 1/4 mile. You’re welcomed by pine forest which yields to gorgeous views of 2 medicine lake which eventually scales to open alpine at the top. I was able to come within 20-30 yards of 14 big horn sheep. The views alone at the top are worth it.

Amazing hike!! Absolutely beautiful!! A challenge but worth every step!! Saw longhorn sheep and a grouse and definitely scenic!! Beautiful picture opportunities the whole trek!! Another beautiful part of the park!! Don’t miss this one!!

Great hike, it is a constant uphill to the top, but nothing too steep, we had crazy wind especially at the top, making it much more difficult than it should have been, but awesome views all the way up.

It was absolutely gorgeous. We did this in the last week of June and didn’t come across any snow. It was definitely chilly and extremely windy at the top, so don’t forget layers. We saw 3 mountain goats who were hanging out super close to the trail as well as a marmot. There were some pretty intense gusts of wind that made everyone drop down and stay low, especially at the very top. The first part of the hike you are in thick trees, but the majority you are exposed to the sun so don’t forget water.

Beautiful scenery on this trail, it’s a steady incline and rocky trail but great views. Windy in spots and wear layers. We hiked it first week of June and a couple spots still had snow, one spot you can go above and hit a goat trail. I suggest starting in the morning as it got warm pretty fast and I was glad we did it in AM. Awesome views on top!!!

Looking to hike this in mid to late July with another person or small group. Normally would do this by myself but I’ve heard of a lot of bear and moose sightings in this area and rather not chance it. HMU if interested. 716 359 2077.

You get a lot with this trail. Starting off in the trees and coming to a waterfall before starting the bulk of the hike on an open, sun-exposed trail. Great views the whole time and the end of the trail is certainly rewarding.

Great scenic hike. Lots of mountain goats & good look out points. As of the first week of June there were only a few short patches of snow to navigate.

Beautiful hike, get above treeline very quick and are surrounded by other snow covered peaks. Had a standoff with a ram that caused some delay, and saw about 15 total. Still snow patches in areas but nothing impassable. Instead of going over to actual Scenic Point we went off trail to summit peak you hit before that and had amazing 360 views.

Major cardio workout. Steep inclines. Not much shade in places. Can be windy in spots. Fantastic views at the top.

My favorite hike in Glacier. It does get quite challenging at some points but once you reach the top, it won’t matter! Beautiful 360 degree views! Saw many mountain goats and big horned sheep on this trail. Had to back track until it was safe to move off of the trail for a mountain goat that was walking right toward us! It is a great trail to get away from the large crowds.

Great hike. Steep and quick elevation gain. The trees are BEAUTIFUL. They are creepy, Tim Burton-esque and amazing if you're into photography. I went on a rainy day, so the lighting was perfection. Anyway. Hike is a nice little workout. Nightmare windstorm at the top though. Not sure if it was so windy bc it had just been raining, or if it's like that all the time, but I had to turn around bc the wind was so strong it was literally pushing my body and moving me. Didn't really feel like falling off the mountain. I got to the section where it all opens up and there are 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains. The views are beautiful, the wind was just too strong to keep going.

Beautiful! Steep steady incline up, just stop and get your breath when needed and it's doable. 360° views up top are worth it!

A steep trail brings you to beautifull views of two medicine lake and lower medicine lake. Bring enough water and sun protection because there isn't a lot of shade and we had to help a woman who got overheated.

Awesome views the whole way up. Saw about a dozen people in total along the trail, perfect for getting away from the huge crowds

Monday, July 10, 2017

This was a great hike and I thought it was challenging. Saw A lone Ram when we were close to the point. Also a ground squirrel tried to take my poles while we were taking a break at the top!!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Beautiful views once you break out of the trees. Steady climb. Lots of wildlife. Trail in excellent condition.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I did this up to the falls and had a great time

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Absolutely beautiful. Our first trail at GNP and it was perfect. Not too bad for a "hard" trail and not too many people. We took our time to photograph and had a quick lunch at the top-- out and back in 5 hours. Best in the morning as it gets hot in the afternoon on a sunny day.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

this trail was really difficult due to it being absolutely freezing and insanely windy and rocky. That being said the entire time you are faced with amazing views and I saw a family of mountain goats, with babies, on the way down. All in all one of my favorite hikes of glacier, but I'm a sucker for a challenge and beautiful views.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

It was super windy and the constant steep incline was definitely a challenge. The last .75 mile didn't seem like they'd be that scenic and then you get to the end of the trail it is shockingly beautiful. Totally worth the effort. Took us about 3.5 hours at a good pace. Only had to go over snow once and it was minimal.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Nice hike with great views. Keep in mind that when you get to the rock cairn you are NOT at Scenic Point. You are at a saddle on the trail. It has scenic views, but it is not Scenic Point. To get to Scenic Point continue past the cairn along the rim trail. It is about 0.7 miles further. When I hiked this last week there was a snow field covering the rim trail so you needed to hike above and around the snow field.

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

A bit snowy still in the bottom third, but worth it. Saw some mountain goats and flowers starting to bloom. The views are fantastic for a quick half day hike!

Thursday, March 16, 2017

This is by far one of the more challenging hikes in Glacier. BRING LOTS OF WATER!!! There is none. It is easy the first mile and a half. Once you get past Apostocki Falls, bring on the climb! Make sure to take pictures next to the ghost tree about a mile up (pretty obvious). Past that point, lots of straight up the damn ridge. You will be some snow toward the top but the last 100 ft vert is all scramble Just follow the footprints to the top. IT IS WINDY AT THE TOP so hang on but worth the 360 degrees of view you get. Please knock over the cairn at the top, it WILL get in the way of pictures and it is quite large (means it was quite the climb!)

Friday, August 26, 2016

Great views. Well worth the effort.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Lots of uphill but so worth the amazing views! Bring lots of water!

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Worth the work! Gorgeous views the entire way, but stunning from the top. Big Horn sheep grazing close by, marmots waiting for your leftovers, and the closest I've ever felt to Heaven.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Pretty good return for the investment

Sunday, September 08, 2013

We did the 8 mile (round trip) hike and turned around once we got to the top of scenic point. We saw breath taking views the entire journey but they just kept getting better as we got closer to the top. It was a little rainy and got pretty cold at higher elevations. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone in the East Glacier area.

Sunday, May 06, 2012