Saint Paul Lake Trail

Saint Paul Lake Trail is a 7.1 mile out and back trail located near Noxon, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Amazing hike. Had it to myself and enjoyed the warm water at the lake.

Just went to the lake yesterday with a girlfriend that was in town. It rained a good portion of the day and was a bit soggy but this was my second trip to the lake so I new what the views are. It is a beautiful moss covered trail with a lot of water and waterfalls at the lake. One of my favorites so far.

Gorgeous hemlock forest in pristine area. Clear running creek and lake surrounded by cascading falls and craggy peaks. Trail complete shade cover excellent choice for a hike on a hot summer day!

We did this hike when it was 98 degrees, would not have been so bad if we had started the time we had planned, but we forgot the bear spray at our camp site and had to turn back. We decided not to risk it since there's a BIG sign about bears at the bottom of the trail. The trail is pretty easy to find, as well as the trailhead. The hike is actually 8 miles roundtrip, not 7.1 as stated. The trail is fairly easy uphill travels, at one point we took our boots off to cross a creek as the rocks are pretty slippery. We really liked this trail with moss everywhere and big trees, and creeks everywhere. When you hit mile 3, there's a bit of confusion as to where the trail is, I'm glad I read the previous reviewer about going to the left. There are two big logs on the left side of the trail, walk over one of them and the trail continues up the hill. From here on to the lake, a mile, it's pretty much uphill and the vegetation is hiding the trail in many places. The lake itself is beautiful with waterfalls, but it's a steep downhill to get to the lake, so not a lake you go swimming in exactly. We had lunch on the log at the end of the trail, not very enjoyable as it felt as we were sliding down towards the lake. We did not encounter any bears, happy to say.

*** I will say this first, to increase the probability of someone reading it: Just over two miles in to the hike, the trail runs right into the middle of a very broad creek. There are trails going all over the place. When you see it, you will know what I am saying. Do not go right! Do not go straight. Cross one of the logs, across the creek, to your left (north / east). The trail winds up hill on the left side of the creek as you are going up the trail.

I rarely give a five-star rating for any trails. I try to make my reviews accurate and meaningful. Most of the trails I have hiked and rated on AllTrails, I have rated as 3 out of 5 stars. When they are exceptional, I give them 4 stars. Of the 154 trails I have rated thus far, I have only rated a few as 5 out of 5 stars. Why am I boring you with this? Well, I rated this trail as a 5. The view at the top is stunning. This is the kind of reward a weary hiker deserves, when he reaches the top of the mountain.

I met a few campers at the lake. They were lovely people, who seemed to be in the same degree of awe at the majestic view of the lake and surrounding mountains. I noticed that their very limited campsite was probably the only place flat enough to pitch a tent near the lake. Bear this in mind, if you intend to camp.

Be advised that there is NOT a trail that leads around the lake. I hiked around the lake just the same. I probably spent more time climbing through scrub and trees than walking upright. If you are masochistic enough to wish it upon yourself, please be advised that you will get your feet wet, you will get scratched and probably bruised, you will be called upon to muster your inner Tarzan of the Jungle to get through the trees for at least half of the circumference of the lake. I was bleeding and exhausted by the time I finished, but what an adventure!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

From the trail head, you hike through this lovely moss covered fairy land, accompanied by the sound of rushing water. There are many places where you have to cross small creeks, one large one that then goes up to the lake. It is a beautiful day. We did the hike July 11, 2016.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Cool hike beneath old growth forest along roaring creeks. Mostly uphill. Don't get messed up when you come to the creek directly in front of you a few miles in. Take the big log across and continue up the hill. The vegetation encroaches on the trail for a ways. We thought the lake was to the right and wasted a lot of time thinking it was through the brush. Just stay on the trail and it will start switchbacking up steeply. Crest the ridge and enjoy a lovely lake with a huge peak and beautiful waterfalls at it's end. The trail seems to have had a lot of work done recently with many new bridges of creeks and wet areas.

Monday, June 11, 2012