Saint Mary Peak Trail

Saint Mary Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Stevensville, Montana that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

so many horseflies

Trail is in good shape and relatively easy. Views from the top are amazing. As of today there was only one small patch of snow near Summit that is easy to get around or walk right through without post-holing. The National Forest in these parts is NOT dispersed camping friendly and the campgrounds fill fast. Round trip distance was 7.5 miles/12 km.

A really nice and challenging day hike. Like others have mentioned, I found the 5.9 mile note to be too light. My GPS noted it 3.7 each way so my advice is to be prepared with water and a snack. A very well maintained and clean trail with three small segments of snow. The view when you make it to the fire watch tower will take your breath away! It is on my list to do again!

This is a great day hike. I’m confused about the 5.9 mile total because it’s 3.6 miles one way. At any rate, the view to the west of the lookout is worth any drop of sweat you may lose. The trail is easy to follow, wide and easy to navigate. The climb is moderate. What I mean is, if you’re in decent shape, this is not a difficult hike. If you spend a lot of time on the couch, yes, this is a difficult hike.

We hiked the trail July 6, 2018. We crossed three snow fields, one a little longer than the others but none of them treacherous or difficult. If you’ve never hiked a mountain of this elevation, understand weather can be very different at the top than on the valley floor. The day we hiked it was nearing 90° in Stevensville around 1 p.m. At the summit it was about 67° with winds gusting to 25 mph. Dress appropriately and have a fantastic hike!!

Nice Trail to look out station. Only minimal patches of snow easy-to-follow at this time

Went in the beginning of June. Had a fantastic hike, the views are breathtaking, however at approximately .5 mile up you start to run into some snow on the trail. At approximately 2.0 miles up I lost the trail completely. We found some footsteps that lead us forward but we lost those another mile up. Never made it to the lookout but assumed it was another mile up. Push yourself to some spectacular views at your own risk.

one of my favorite hikes, views are breathtakingly beautiful

This trail can be temperamental. We ran in to a snow storm on top Labor Day 2016 despite decent weather at the valley floor. Beautiful hike.

Hard but worth it. Trail in beautiful condition. would not take a car to trail head lots of rocks. 3.8 miles each way, all up. Easily most beautiful payoff of the summer.

Awesome hike! We only saw one other person on the trail the entire day. The middle portion flattens out and is a nice break before the climb to the top. The trail to the top was quite warm but had amazing views along the way! We met the person manning the lookout and he was really nice. He even have our 3 and 6 year olds a tour of the lookout. We are definitely going back!

Great hike!!

The views are unreal. If you go when there is a volunteer at the lookout you learn all sorts of good stuff!

Great walk with beautiful views. Had the top to ourselves so soaked in the views and enjoyed some lunch

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hiked on July 12, 2017. Sunny day, we left the trailhead at 6:45 am and the temp was 50*, returned to the trailhead at noon and the temp was 70*. Took our dog which this is a popular trail to bring a dog. On top it was windy and we put on our wind breakers. We are not young hikers but experienced hikers and it took us 2-1/4 hours to get to the top. This is a popular, well worn trail and has many exposed tree roots and lots of rocks which makes the hike down slower than normal. Many horse flies on the trail thru the trees so we used a spray mix of 2/3 apple cider vinegar and 1/3 water which we sprayed on the dog and us. Kept us and the pup happy and horse fly free.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Great hike! Amazing views at the top. Lots of bugs too, so bring bug spray. There's a set of waterfalls down by the alpine lake in the basin that you see and hear from the top. Wanted to hike down to them, but a thunderstorm started to roll in.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Challenging and bear grass all along the way to keep you moving! This is one of my favorite so far in the Bitterroot. Be prepared with water and snacks. My pup loved frolicking in the snow banks. We hit 4 small patches on July 1, easy to navigate through even in sneaks. Breathtaking views!

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Hardest hike I've done so far but it is the most amazing, rewarding trail I've ever done.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Tried to do this hike on 5/29/2017. We were really excited to see the great views everyone describes. Drove about 45min up a narrow dirt road just as the other reviews have explained. Couldn't drive all the way to the trailhead due to snow, so parked on the side of the road and walked another 0.75miles to the trailhead. While it was a warm and sunny day, we encountered too much snow on the trail to continue on foot (without snowshoes) after about 0.25 miles. We definitely want to try this hike again, just will do so later in the summer after the snow melts.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Prepare for an hour drive on a single lane mountain road to the trail head. Plan on an uphill trek but manageable! Views are spectacular and worth the journey!

Sunday, January 01, 2017

So beautiful! Challenging, but worth it. Long winding road to drive up to trailhead. Insane view!

Friday, September 23, 2016

very worth it. My favorite hike in the bitteroot.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Beautiful- snowy, windy and cold at the top

Friday, August 12, 2016

Well maintained trail. Great views.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Good trail - my gps said it was 3.5 miles up and was worth every step. I am not a big hiker and was most surprised how long it took to get to the trail head, was 10 miles from where I was in stevensville and took 40 mins as the road is crazy small and windy (bring a 4x4 if you can). Views at top were great, observation tower had a crew in it and she was happy to show us the tower and point out some key things. Make sure you get a picture of the toilet (best view you've ever seen). Great hike and make sure you bring a windbreaker - cold at the top (was 70 a start - 60 and windy at the top).

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Tough hike but completely worth it in the end.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

such a nice hike...tough hike near the end... but the view was totally worth every bit of it. the man at the watch tower was very lind and friendly, and the 360 degree view was breathtaking. it took us about 5 hours total... but we are not in great shape lol. amazing!!!!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

not for the faint of heart, beautiful views.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Super tough, but totally worth it!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Amazing views once you reach the top.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Trail was good for the first few miles, after that it was snow covered and not at all marked. We hiked in the snowfields for about a mile and a half, until we totally lost footprints and any hint of a cleared trail. Markers up in the snowfield would be helpful. Beautiful trail, but not at all marked.