Sacagawea Peak

Sacagawea Peak is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of the best payoffs for such a short hike. It is really steep but worth every step!

Remember, despite what the last review says there are no grizzlies in the Bridgers! Lots of black bears (sometimes brown in color) but no grizzlies.

Hiked this a long time ago, in August 2000. I had to stop to rest a little after the switchbacks, but the view of the Bridger Range and Bozeman in the distance was so so beautiful and worth every drop of sweat. Saw Rocky Mountain Goats at the summit, just below me. Grizzly ran in front of my car as I was leaving the parking area.

On 24 Nov road conditions to access trailhead were treacherous with snow & ice. Even with four wheel drive we turned around after 2 miles. I did the hike in August and it's fantastic - highly recommend. But this time of year access is difficult.

First off, I’m going to start by saying that the way to Sacajawea Peak also leads you to Fairy Lake. So you can see and do both, or you could even combine the two trails into one super long one.

Second, this trail is super fun! But let me just put this out there, I’m super fit, going hiking often, and boy!! It was some work to get up to the top. I have a bad right knee, and was really feeling it once I was almost to the top, as the trail is super steep.

Thirdly, I would definitely recommend this to anyone if you love hiking! The views are amazing!

10 years since my last trip to Bozeman, MT. This trail is just as I remember. Excellent climb with the chance to see some goats (summer). I would highly recommend.

Little aggressive with the snow but amazing view from the top

Amazing trail, unfortunately it's very popular and lots of traffic but we have been able to see mountain goats each time, up close and personal as well. worth the difficulty!

Too many people, but trail worth the effort as mountain goats on the peak!!

Awesome hike! it will definitely give you a run for your money but it's worth it. it took just under 2 hours to reach the summit and that was with plenty of breaks for pictures. One of the most amazing views you could ask for.

great trail, definitely start early in the day.

I wouldn't recommend if you want to avoid the crowds, but the views are well worth it. Summited her 10 times!

Outstanding hike with awesome views. There were a few rocky parts that were a little tricky, but overall very manageable. The mountain goats at the top were a real treat. Highly recommend.

Awesome! I would qualify this hike as difficult because of the snow fields (July 1st) and occasional need to use your hands to get up the steep parts. Seems like there are many switchback options and it's occasionally tough to follow the trail. The views from the Bridger Divide are fantastic. Be on the lookout for mountain goats!

Fun hike, great views. The app says dogs on leashes, there were plenty running around loose and thankfully all were friendly.

It was a little rough getting up and there were some confusing switchbacks. Given that, it's a beautiful hike and totally worth the trek up. Be prepared, it's super windy on top!

Go early the trail gets crowded.

is this opened right now?

Monday, November 28, 2016

Pros: Spectacular views from lower saddle to top, small summer glaciers, fragrant Fraser forests, views of Crazy Mountains, Tobacco Root Mountains, and Gallatin Range in distance on clear days.
Cons: Lots of switchbacks, some confusing below the pass, no water above Fairy Lake, windy from the pass upwards.
Recommendations: Trekking poles, extra water, windbreaker, baselayers.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Loved this trail. The views are stunning. Prepare for strong winds when you reach the top. Trail is narrow and switchbacks nicely to handle the grade.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

November 5th: the trail at the top was covered in ice so climbing directly through the loose rocks seemed much easier at the time. The view was spectacular!! But the hike was really rough and I will definitely be sore tomorrow.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Good hike but it's either deadly winds at the top or nothing and I keep getting unlucky. the hike around the other side is also very gorgeous.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

We took my 76-year-old father on this hike. Mind you... He thinks he's still in his 20's. We had read another review rating this moderate. I would rate it as hard. The hike to the base of the pass was moderate. Lots of switchback all the way to the peak. It becomes difficult from the base up. The path narrows, and is sometimes difficult to know which way. The path veers in many ways... Some more difficult than others. Lots of lose rock and Steep! I would definitely recommend hiking boots and a trecking stick. I rate this as difficult due to the path narrowing, lose rock and steepness. Just take your time and enjoy. We had 60+ mph winds once we hit the pass.... Which added to the difficulty. It was a total of almost 8 mi and took us 5hrs.... Taking our time. Great hike with beautiful views.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Dirt road to the trailhead had lots of rocks/washboard, but well worth the drive to hike the tallest peak in the Bridgers. The trail gains a lot of elevation, switchbacks most of the way up. The last leg of the hike up to the peak from the saddle has a lot of hard scrabble/loose rocks and can be a bit treacherous coming down. Mountain goats can almost always be found near the top. Great hike!

Thursday, August 11, 2016

This is a short, yet steep hike. In just over two miles the trail gains nearly 2,000 feet of elevation. Since you're starting high and ending even higher, the air will feel thin most of the way. On top of all this, there's a good chance for snow on parts of the trail well into the summer, adding to the difficulty. Here is a site with more details and photos: www.montanatrailbriefs.com/hikes/fairy-lake-to-sacagawea-peak

Monday, August 08, 2016

This was my first time summiting a nearly 10k ft. We went in early June and it was still alot of snow. the road to the trail head was closed so we had to hike about 2+ miles in from the parking lot. Lots of snow. some parts were up past my thighs. It was definitely a difficult hike, especially bc I didn't have waterproof hiking shoes, just regular tennis shoes. The hike up was strenuous. Not gonna lie, I thought about turning back around, but I'm glad I didn't. It was hot, thank goodness I layered. Bring lots of water to hydrate. we made it to the top in 4 hrs. That last scramble to the peak was killer. The mountain goat at the top made up for the killer hiker up. on the way down, I sat on my butt and slid down on the snow! that saved probably an hour! Took 2 minutes to slide down one section of the mountain. Lots of fun. got wet and the butt was numbed but love it! Took us about 3 hrs to hike out but we did get lost. it was hard to see the trail with all the snow and tracks were all over the place. Could have made it out in 2.5 if we hadn't gotten lost for 30 minutes. total hiked about 9.5 miles, including the hike from parking lot to TH. By the time I I got to my car, my knees wouldn't bend anymore. I'm sure I walked like a penguin for a few days...BUT WORTH IT!

Monday, July 25, 2016

This beautiful hike is fairly strenuous, as is the ride on the six-mile rocky trail connecting the highway to the Fairy Lake trailhead. Even in late July, with temps in the 90s in the valley, there were still a few patches of snow on the east face. The trailhead is forested, but quickly gives way to a rocky, serpentine ascent through the bowl to the ridge line. The views are spectacular! But the hike continues southward along the ridge for a quarter-mile or so until the final ascent to the peak. Keep an eye out for mountain goats, which were out today.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Hiked in early July; almost no snow left on the trail. As others note, mountain goats are everywhere on this trail, and view is amazing.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

It was a great hike! One of my favorites in the area. Mountain goat herd may meet you at the top. It's also really easy to swing up to the other peak from the saddle. It's a little harder but shorter and with fewer people and the views are just as amazing. Worth the work to get up to either!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Excellent! This was my first higher elevation trail and it kicked my butt. I was surprised to see that the trail was heavily trafficked but it was still worth the climb. Highly recommended!