Sacagawea Peak

Sacagawea Peak is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, Montana that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October.

4.1 miles 1935 feet Out & Back

Pros: Spectacular views from lower saddle to top, small summer glaciers, fragrant Fraser forests, views of Crazy Mountains, Tobacco Root Mountains, and Gallatin Range in distance on clear days.
Cons: Lots of switchbacks, some confusing below the pass, no water above Fairy Lake, windy from the pass upwards.
Recommendations: Trekking poles, extra water, windbreaker, baselayers.

Loved this trail. The views are stunning. Prepare for strong winds when you reach the top. Trail is narrow and switchbacks nicely to handle the grade.

November 5th: the trail at the top was covered in ice so climbing directly through the loose rocks seemed much easier at the time. The view was spectacular!! But the hike was really rough and I will definitely be sore tomorrow.

Good hike but it's either deadly winds at the top or nothing and I keep getting unlucky. the hike around the other side is also very gorgeous.

We took my 76-year-old father on this hike. Mind you... He thinks he's still in his 20's. We had read another review rating this moderate. I would rate it as hard. The hike to the base of the pass was moderate. Lots of switchback all the way to the peak. It becomes difficult from the base up. The path narrows, and is sometimes difficult to know which way. The path veers in many ways... Some more difficult than others. Lots of lose rock and Steep! I would definitely recommend hiking boots and a trecking stick. I rate this as difficult due to the path narrowing, lose rock and steepness. Just take your time and enjoy. We had 60+ mph winds once we hit the pass.... Which added to the difficulty. It was a total of almost 8 mi and took us 5hrs.... Taking our time. Great hike with beautiful views.

Dirt road to the trailhead had lots of rocks/washboard, but well worth the drive to hike the tallest peak in the Bridgers. The trail gains a lot of elevation, switchbacks most of the way up. The last leg of the hike up to the peak from the saddle has a lot of hard scrabble/loose rocks and can be a bit treacherous coming down. Mountain goats can almost always be found near the top. Great hike!

This is a short, yet steep hike. In just over two miles the trail gains nearly 2,000 feet of elevation. Since you're starting high and ending even higher, the air will feel thin most of the way. On top of all this, there's a good chance for snow on parts of the trail well into the summer, adding to the difficulty. Here is a site with more details and photos: www.montanatrailbriefs.com/hikes/fairy-lake-to-sacagawea-peak

This was my first time summiting a nearly 10k ft. We went in early June and it was still alot of snow. the road to the trail head was closed so we had to hike about 2+ miles in from the parking lot. Lots of snow. some parts were up past my thighs. It was definitely a difficult hike, especially bc I didn't have waterproof hiking shoes, just regular tennis shoes. The hike up was strenuous. Not gonna lie, I thought about turning back around, but I'm glad I didn't. It was hot, thank goodness I layered. Bring lots of water to hydrate. we made it to the top in 4 hrs. That last scramble to the peak was killer. The mountain goat at the top made up for the killer hiker up. on the way down, I sat on my butt and slid down on the snow! that saved probably an hour! Took 2 minutes to slide down one section of the mountain. Lots of fun. got wet and the butt was numbed but love it! Took us about 3 hrs to hike out but we did get lost. it was hard to see the trail with all the snow and tracks were all over the place. Could have made it out in 2.5 if we hadn't gotten lost for 30 minutes. total hiked about 9.5 miles, including the hike from parking lot to TH. By the time I I got to my car, my knees wouldn't bend anymore. I'm sure I walked like a penguin for a few days...BUT WORTH IT!

This beautiful hike is fairly strenuous, as is the ride on the six-mile rocky trail connecting the highway to the Fairy Lake trailhead. Even in late July, with temps in the 90s in the valley, there were still a few patches of snow on the east face. The trailhead is forested, but quickly gives way to a rocky, serpentine ascent through the bowl to the ridge line. The views are spectacular! But the hike continues southward along the ridge for a quarter-mile or so until the final ascent to the peak. Keep an eye out for mountain goats, which were out today.