Redrock Falls via Swiftcurrent Pass [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(194)
Glacier National Park

Redrock Falls via Swiftcurrent Pass is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Babb, Montana that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 236 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options.

We checked in for our backpacking permit and we had the afternoon to do a short hike. The ranger recommended this and I’m happy she did. Within the trail we saw a brown bear, moose, deer, and plenty of squirrels running along the trail. If you have an hour or two around Many Glacier this is a must.

Trail is pretty narrow and you are in prime bear country so keep your eyes and ears open so you don’t surprise one. Not difficult. I suggest taking the side trail to look at Fishercap Lake. You’re also in moose area and saw one feeding off the lake once we got to Redrock lake. (Sept 2019)

Very easy hike - lots of families with kids on the trail. Only slight elevation at points. Can walk down to Fishercap Lake. Saw a mom and baby moose swimming in Redrock Lake - definitely the highlight of the hike!

Good, calm trail we walked in the early evening. Watch for the storms, they come quickly over the ridge line & don’t always stay the same path. Big bull moose by the lake on the way in and by the falls, watch for bears.

The main hike is fairly straightforward and easy, narrowing in some parts but easy. I did it in Chaco sandals and I was so glad I did! Once I got to the lake, I walked directly in and soaked my feet in that deliciously crisp water. After a breather, I walked on the last smidge to the falls and, again, magnificent! Highly recommend to any and everyone.

Great trail. Super easy hike. Lots of moose. Huge bull moose and a cow and her calf. Highly recommend this trail to see wildlife.

This was a really pleasant surprise. I asked a park ranger if there are any trails I could still do late in the Many Glacier area (it was around 6.30pm) and she told me this one. The hike itself is almost flat. The lake at the end is really nice, and the falls are beautiful - make sure to go up the falls all the way, as you will have great views on the lake and the surrounding mountains from the top. The wildlife - at least this late - was the true spectacle, though: probably forgetting half of it, I counted 2 bears, 3 foxes, a couple of marmots, and, best of all, three moose bathing in Fishercap Lake.

Wanted a nice easy hike after a long moderate hike this morning. This one was perfect and the views of Redrock Lake are gorgeous!

Well worth it.

Awesome shorter trail!

Nice short hike for an “off day” with a beautiful contrasting color water fall. We enjoyed a whitetail doe walk the trail right along with us for a few hundred yards. We also met a snowshoe hare along the way. Bear and moose were reported in the area, but no sightings that day. Traffic was not heavy at 11:00 on 07/06/19. It is well worth the extra few step to go to the top of the falls and relax there, very little traffic at that point.

This is an easy trail that ends in a very nice waterfall. You can get very close to the fall and also walk up to the top of the falls to get good views. The waterfalls are in an area of quite distinctly red rocks, hence the name.

Beautiful falls over the contrast of red rocks. Simple gorgeous trails and you are likely to see Wildlife out here and even gather some wild huckleberries if the time is right.

It’s a nice stroll through the woods. We did this right after grinnell glacier so it was a nice easy one to end the day. Has a nice waterfall but nothing that makes you say wow! Hiked 6/1/19

Wed May 29 2019

Nice easy hike with a rewarding waterfall at the end. Nice conditions 5/29/2019

Sun May 12 2019

Saw a mother grizzly and her two cubs a few minutes before I arrived to the falls, so I turned back. Will come back another day.

Fri Apr 12 2019

great hike! we watched a moose all day at the lake and her family joined in the evening.

Fri Sep 07 2018

Trail is a little boring but falls make it so worth it!

Sun Sep 02 2018

This is one of the prettiest trails I've done in Glacier. It's an easy trail with lots of views of the surrounding mountains and two beautiful lakes and a great waterfall. You also walk through a lovely Aspen forest. I would recommend this hike!!

Sat Aug 25 2018

Really nice, short hike. The falls were a lot of fun. there are multiple places to sit and enjoy the view, so the fact that there were tons of people there wasn’t an issue.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Underrated trial in the area due to iceberg lake and grinnel glacier hikes. While I believe those hikes are 'better' if you've never done them, this is still an awesome trial with plenty to see and almost no elevation gain. I've done this trial a few times and have seen grizzly, moose, deer, snakes, ground squirrels and rabbits.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Hiked on 8/5/18. Would definitely recommend stopping at the first lake, Fishercap lake, on the way in. Great spot to see moose. We stopped there twice and saw moose each time feeding in the lake. Additionaly, the waterfall and views from Redrock and Fishercap lake are beautiful. Good little hike.

Thu Aug 16 2018

Easy hike takes you up the valley along a system of creeks and small lakes. Very little elevation change, scenic waterfalls, and a very good choice for moose-spotting. We did this one on a rainy day which made for zero traffic.

Sat Jun 30 2018

This hike was easy and lovely. The falls are beautiful and the surrounding mountains are amazing. We did have some bugs. Half the group wasn't bothered and the other half used mosquito nets. Momma and baby grizzlies were in the area. So exciting!

Sat Jun 30 2018

just did the hike today - bring bug spray!! the places by the water are swarming with gnats. good wildlife viewing in the morning for the first 1.5 miles. the falls were ok but we had to turn around because of weather

Sun Jun 17 2018

Reasonable hike with kids, lots of great climbing at the falls.